Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Duclair signs 1 yr deal with Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    I'm honestly not a big fan of any of the free agent moves that much other than Ward. Getting Ward on a 1 year deal is nice and necessary. Kunitz just seems like a Patrick Sharp replacement and a Manning doesn't do much for me even though his 7 goals last year would have been tied for tops amongst hawk blue liners.

The Hawks didn't have much to work with especially with Hossa still on the books this off season, but it just seems like they're really relying on bounce back years from Toews/Seabrook/Keith/Crawford. You can never doubt that group of guys but at more advanced ages, I question whether or not their best years are behind them. I would have liked to have seen some help on the top PP especially on the blue line and maybe a younger player with some speed. If Vegas proved anything it's that speed kills and the Hawks were getting beat up by teams that were simply younger and quicker last season. These signings don't really move the dial much at all for me, but if Seabrook/Keith aren't stuck in mud this year, someone like Debrincat takes another step this season, and Toews isn't offensively anemic, maybe the Hawks can get back to a position that's much more expected from a team like this.
    I agree. A lot has to go right for this team to contend and I just am not optimistic it will all fall into place. I hope Iím wrong, but we need Toews and Keith to bounce back, a couple young forwards to have big years, and our young defensemen to progress.

The key is this: we need a few Dmen to turn into top four options. The major issue is that we have zero impact defensemen. We wonít make the playoffs if that doesnít change and I cannot understand why that hasnít been addressed. It makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually don't mind the signings. Ward gives us a veteran back-up, Kunitz is a 3/4 line LW who's won 4 Stanley Cups, and Manning is a decent bottom-pairing defenseman. Someone on ******** pointed out that Ward replaces Forsberg, Kunitz replaces Bouma, and Manning replaces Franson. I think all of those are upgrades.

I think Bowman might be having trouble moving Hossa's contract. He needs to move that contract if he wants to have money to acquire a Justin Faulk-like defenseman through trade.

The good news is that these next two drafts are very good and if we suck again next year, we're likely to get a really good C prospect as the 2019 draft has a lot of good center prospects. I personally think the window might be closed for us and now we're retooling. That doesn't mean the window can't reopen, but it would take some solid moves and some young players progressing for our window to reopen.

I'm interested to see how players like Oesterle, Gustafsson, Murphy, Forsling, Jokiharju, Boqvist (he won't make the team, but I'd love to see him in training camp), Dahlstrom, Rutta, Hillman, and Manning do in training camp. If two of Oesterle, Gustafsson, Jokiharju, Rutta, and Forsling can play like top-4 defensemen for us, that might just give us the boost we need to make the playoffs. Dahlstrom is also a sleeper for me. Forsling and Rutta looked like a legit shutdown pairing for a few months until Rutta got hurt.

I think Stan is banking on a healthy Crawford and bounceback years from Toews, Keith, Saad, and even Seabrook (who did look better near the end of the year) as well as progression from Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Sikura, Forsling, Rutta (more in terms of staying healthy), and some of our other young players.

I do think we make a trade to get rid of the Hossa contract and possibly add a top-4 defenseman. I'd love to get one of the young Carolina D- Faulk (depending on the price), Fleury, Bean (who looks blocked and is probably NHL-ready), or Pesce (highly unlikely). I wonder what it would take to get Bean as I think he has a Duncan Keith-like game and potential as a do it all defenseman.

2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

The defensive depth has been addressed long-term, but unfortunately weíre a few years away from seeing that materialize. I have been critical of Stan in the past, but the stock-piling of talent on the blue-line deserves some praise. Boqvist and Jokiharju have stud potential.

Iím with CK17 on the signings. All were upgrades for the roles they were brought in for. Kunitz specifically will bring a lot off of the ice and that is important. I believe the team really felt the impact of Hossaís absence in the dressing room last season. Kunitz is, by every account, a tremendous presence in that respect. As a 3/4 LW, you really canít find a better veteran to help a group of young forwards along.

I trust that Stan has done his due diligence on Faulk. He is exactly the kind of player the Hawks like. I would hope thereís a way to make it work, but Iím not sure weíll see that materialize.

Depth is going to be the issue again this season and unfortunately the division is stacked. We may be looking at another season without playoff hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    The defensive depth has been addressed long-term, but unfortunately weíre a few years away from seeing that materialize. I have been critical of Stan in the past, but the stock-piling of talent on the blue-line deserves some praise. Boqvist and Jokiharju have stud potential.

Iím with CK17 on the signings. All were upgrades for the roles they were brought in for. Kunitz specifically will bring a lot off of the ice and that is important. I believe the team really felt the impact of Hossaís absence in the dressing room last season. Kunitz is, by every account, a tremendous presence in that respect. As a 3/4 LW, you really canít find a better veteran to help a group of young forwards along.

I trust that Stan has done his due diligence on Faulk. He is exactly the kind of player the Hawks like. I would hope thereís a way to make it work, but Iím not sure weíll see that materialize.

Depth is going to be the issue again this season and unfortunately the division is stacked. We may be looking at another season without playoff hockey.
    Iím okay with missing the playoffs next year if it allows us to add an elite potential C prospect. The league is trending towards speed, C depth, and D depth as well as timely and clutch goaltending winning Championships. We have D depth through our system. Whether that pans out, I donít know but I like our odds. Get another C prospect to pair with Toews and Schmaltz and youíre set up really nicely long term.

Roto
    Artemi Panarin's reluctance to re-sign with the Columbus Blue Jackets is a matter of contract term.
    Panarin has one season left before he can become an unrestricted free agent and while he's enjoyed his time with the Blue Jackets, the 26-year-old isn't sure that he wants to commit to spending the bulk of his remaining career with Columbus. "(Panarinís) biggest thing is Ö he loves the team, he loves the coach. Itís not the team or the way they treat him. Itís about, does he want to spend the next eight years in Columbus? Thatís the only thing at stake right now. If it was a two-year deal we probably would have done it. But it isnít a two-year deal. Itís gonna have to be an extended, seven- or eight-year deal put in place," Panarin's agent, Daniel Milstein, said. Panarin's reluctance to re-sign led to reports that the Blue Jackets were exploring the trade market, but Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen countered that.

Pretty anti-climatic so far... Stan must really be counting on bounce back seasons from our stars.

I think heís gunning hard for Faulk personally.

Offseason Thread (FA/Trade Rumors)

Hawks, Coyotes closing in on trade for ARI to take Hossaís contract.

Hinostroza also involved in deal going to Arizona, according to Elliotte Friedman

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Magic Number = 8!

Gotta be a big trade coming soon with that cap space.

The full trade sucks. We traded two decent players for Kruger and basically nothing. So we got nothing back. So ****ing annoying.

cap relief, not sure what kind of money Kruger is getting though
    Last edited by Muttman73; 07-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    cap relief, not sure what kind of money Krueger is getting though
    Apparently only 1 yr left at $2 mil

Magic Number = 8!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    The full trade sucks. We traded two decent players for Kruger and basically nothing. So we got nothing back. So ****ing annoying.

Iím sure we gained some cap space. Thatís fine with me

Magic Number = 8!

I'm assuming this is a precursor to another deal. Welcome back Kruger.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast