Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Banning/Limiting the shift?

It’s been a pretty big topic along with expansion, the DH and electronic strike zones for the next things being discussed to ‘improve’ baseball, we have threads on the other topics but not the shift, how does everyone feel about it?

IMO I don’t like the shift but I think people would go nuts if they banned it outright but I think you could tweak it so teams wouldn’t sell out using the homer or bust philosophy with their pull hitters.

You could limit the amount of times people shift during a game kind of like mound visits but that would mean there’s a rule that specifically zones the fielders.

You could also implement a rule that made it so the 2Bman couldn’t be on the 3B side and vice versa - something think could work. I don’t like watching a 3Bman playing in shallow right field but that’s just me.

The shift has been at record highs the past 3 years and with Manfred already talking about ‘banning the shift’ all together, you’d have to imagine that teams wouldn try to find a middle ground.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

I don't understand why you would ban it. I mean, maybe these pro athletes should learn to hit the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

This is a joke. Similar to trying to prevent the Hack a Shaq.

Why would you want to ban it?
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

The idea that it should be banned or limited has to be a joke. It's a strategy, just like bunting.

Hit it where they ain't

This is a shift study from a couple of years ago, so take it for what it's worth.

Infield GB's BABIP 2006: .239

Infield GB's BABIP 2016: .239

So, has it actually accomplished anything league wide over this span?

Opposite field GB's BABIP 2006: .287

Opposite field GB's BABIP 2016: .373

Does it possibly take away a pull hitting power hitters strength? Probably. But, if they go the other way and hit against the shift, it will add another dimension to their game in a positive way.

I'm actually in favor of banning or getting rid of the shift. I hate the shift. They want to make baseball more appealing and want more offense? Yet the shift probably takes away hits and reduces offense.

Maybe if guys learned to hit to the opposite field this wouldn't happen. Hell, if someone like Gallo laid down perfect bunt singles a few times in a row it would stop real quick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Why would you want to ban it?
    Didn’t say I wanted to.

I don't think it makes sense to ban it but I do find it annoying. I hate when a lefty squares up a line drive between the 1st and 2nd basemen and .... someone is there to take it on a single hop. on ground balls, whatever. but it feels different when a guy puts a sweet stroke on a line drive and some ******* is there.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

It’s ridiculous that a professional hitter can’t beat the shift. If only to keep defenses honest.

Think the issue is you grow up playing to normal infield defenses all the way up to the major leagues. Now not only are you facing the best pitchers in the game you have some metric aligned defenses that take away hits from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum4CY View Post
    Think the issue is you grow up playing to normal infield defenses all the way up to the major leagues. Now not only are you facing the best pitchers in the game you have some metric aligned defenses that take away hits from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a game of adjustments for a reason.....

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    It’s ridiculous that a professional hitter can’t beat the shift. If only to keep defenses honest.
    Bingo. It really is just that simple, hit 'em where they ain't.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

I think it’s absolutely Ridiculous to try and limit the shift.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast