Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 442
  1. #391
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    42,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Education and technology has proven to improve society to the point that contraception isn't needed to reduce birth rate.
    Sure but we’re not all gay


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  2. #392
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,995
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Sure but we’re not all gay
    My gay friends disagree.

  3. #393
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Education and technology has proven to improve society to the point that contraception isn't needed to reduce birth rate.
    And so what? We foster more education and more contraception (much of which is technological).

  4. #394
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I didn't say anything about any of that.

    If? No, it has to happen, there is no if.
    When? 40 years ago would have been nice, but now is all we can do.
    What cost? An enormous cost.
    To who? All of the developed world.

    We can solve the worlds issues with climate change emissions today with current technology, it will just cost a lot of money to get it to them cheap. And it will require we give up some ownership of things.

    We have an issue with solar and wind in that they are not reliable and our technology for storage and transmission still sucks, but it's better now than it's ever been and it's getting better.

    Nuclear doesn't have those issues right now.

    We don't need to dream of new solutions to get on the problem now, we just need to accept that nuclear is the stopgap answer we need while we build out and ramp up the infrastructure for a better solution as we go.

    Is that the "ideology" you are talking about? Or is it jesus?
    Ideology being ecomodernism, the same thing I've been talking about from the beginning of this conversation. I've been speaking to the point that organizations like the breakthrough institute, push nuclear power as a solution to all of our climate problems. Shockingly they dont push for that change now, they just want the public to accept that when it gets bad enough nuclear will save us. They take no active steps to solve the problem nor do they advocate for them today. They are largely funded by gas and oil, big ag(high input monoculture farming will save us), and the like. The point of the lobby being that we dont need to do anything now because technology will save us. We will throw a bone to climate change folks, while providing ourselves an out tondo nothing.

    I get that you enjoy being a contrarian, but I shouldn't have to summarize the entire conversation because you have some unrelated point to make. You are sold on nuclear, fantastic. My argument isn't against nuclear, or modern agricultural practices, nor am I criticizing soil remediation technologies, or water purification technologies, and on and on. They will all be vital to our species moving forward. I am criticizing this particular movement because their argument is one of procrastination, with the ancient alien like promise that when it gets bad enough we will all just come together and all necessary technologies will come to us. How will we get out of this mess? Dont fret, of course we will, you know tech. How were the pyramids built? Well aliens, of course. Feel free to go back to whatever conversation you were having.

  5. #395
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    And so what? We foster more education and more contraception (much of which is technological).
    Pushing contraception has been a problem when done in the past, it divides society and causes some really grisly results. Contraception should be freely available though. When people's lives get better they choose to have kids later and fewer. Improve peoples station in life and they will have fewer kids.

  6. #396
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,995
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    Ideology being ecomodernism, the same thing I've been talking about from the beginning of this conversation. I've been speaking to the point that organizations like the breakthrough institute, push nuclear power as a solution to all of our climate problems. Shockingly they dont push for that change now, they just want the public to accept that when it gets bad enough nuclear will save us. They take no active steps to solve the problem nor do they advocate for them today. They are largely funded by gas and oil, big ag(high input monoculture farming will save us), and the like. The point of the lobby being that we dont need to do anything now because technology will save us. We will throw a bone to climate change folks, while providing ourselves an out tondo nothing.

    I get that you enjoy being a contrarian, but I shouldn't have to summarize the entire conversation because you have some unrelated point to make. You are sold on nuclear, fantastic. My argument isn't against nuclear, or modern agricultural practices, nor am I criticizing soil remediation technologies, or water purification technologies, and on and on. They will all be vital to our species moving forward. I am criticizing this particular movement because their argument is one of procrastination, with the ancient alien like promise that when it gets bad enough we will all just come together and all necessary technologies will come to us. How will we get out of this mess? Dont fret, of course we will, you know tech. How were the pyramids built? Well aliens, of course. Feel free to go back to whatever conversation you were having.
    Okay, I didn't get from you that you were talking about an ideology called ecomodernism ... which I know nothing about. I must have missed where you made that clear.

    And I don't argue contrary to my own philosophy, so I don't know that I qualify as a contrarian.
    Last edited by Scoots; 12-06-2019 at 12:32 PM.

  7. #397
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    91,143
    Has this been discussed before now?

    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!


  8. #398
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,995
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Has this been discussed before now?

    I don't think that specific tweet was discussed.

  9. #399
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    91,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't think that specific tweet was discussed.
    Was his past support discussed?
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!


  10. #400
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,995
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Was his past support discussed?
    No. But to be fair I don't know that he's not supportive now.

  11. #401
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    No. But to be fair I don't know that he's not supportive now.
    I do.

  12. #402
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I do.
    How do you know? I never know what Trump is thinking or what his actual personal philosophy is. I think he just reacts to do whatever will get his name more in the press or maybe make supporters happy. I don't know if he's ever ever lied in his mind.

  13. #403
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    How do you know? I never know what Trump is thinking or what his actual personal philosophy is. I think he just reacts to do whatever will get his name more in the press or maybe make supporters happy. I don't know if he's ever ever lied in his mind.
    I don’t give a ratsass what the man thinks or says. I judge him by what he does, and I can tell you unequivocally that he does not give one sweetshit about climate change.

  14. #404
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I don’t give a ratsass what the man thinks or says. I judge him by what he does, and I can tell you unequivocally that he does not give one sweetshit about climate change.
    You say you don't care about he thinks or says, then you make a declaration about what he thinks?

  15. #405
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    You say you don't care about he thinks or says, then you make a declaration about what he thinks?
    I guess you and I have different interpretations of what constitutes “what he does.” His intentional choice to sign on to (and possibly help fund) the full-page ad that clearly expressed the common demands of a group of people is to me an action (a “what he does”) that is substantively different from, say, a tweet, which expresses (usually in the form of a lie) his individual thoughts, such as they are.

    Likewise, his actions as president (deregulation, et al) are also “what he does”, and they indicate his true beliefs, regardless of what kind of rubbish he says or tweets.

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •