Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

What kind of Super-Team would be needed to stop the Dynasty of the 90's?

Ignoring the greatest dynasty of all (60's C's) every other reign has been rather short or competing against a similarly dominant foe (think Spurs vs Lakers in their 99-2K reign). The 70's had far more parity than any era, the 80's had the Lakers/Celtics playing each other with dabs of Detroit/Philly/Milwaukee in there. The East was stacked with teams that would have won titles in the 70s tbh, it was highly competitive even with these 2 powers in place.

Then the 90's came and one team ran roughshod over the league. We had alot more parity by comparison come the 2kera to the pre-KDSx era (IMO). So really, only the 90's stood out as a franchise demonstrably above its competition relative to the rest of the NBA. Now much of that has to do with MJ being the GOAT but most of us also agree, it didn't hurt that there were no Mid 80's Lakers/Celtics to face either. There was no truly great rival, not even a FO-FO-FO level of dominance from the opposition for a year. The year he was gone we saw, essentially two 1 man squads (either offensively or defensively) rise from the ashes in the Finals to win an ugly 7 game series in which Pretty boy Chewing shot a disgusting 35% or something foul like that.

Then the following year when MJ played half a season, we had a rebirth of sorts. Penny and Shaq had formed into a dominant duo (while plucking Horace Grant away from the Bulls) and the 1man champion of before had added a HOF'er who had his most efficient run as a sidekick in Drexler. I'll admit MJ didn't have his legs but he wasn't an ordinary player either. The following year his team added another HOF'er/DPOY and the rest is history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So heres the challenge, what 1 singular defection could have altered history. You cant keep MJ from winning (I dont think...) but maybe you can have him split a few. Which years and what players would you target to make your move? Just how drastic of a move would it have taken (from level of a role player to KD)?

Im thinking Charles Barkely could have been the piece to target on a KD level but in terms of a valuable role player, I think if Rodman never joins the Bulls or if someone else could somehow contain him, it could be enough to alter one series against them. Bulls were really exposed on the glass that series vs Orlando and nothing MJ could have done would have stopped that without Rodman around to lean on Shaq.

As for Barkley, just look at how he turned around Houston at age 33 when the other 2 stars were 34 years old. Imagine them years sooner, does MJ stand a chance against a trio of Clyde-Chuck-Hakeem with some decent enough defenders and shooters who won them titles before? I think its a wrap for the Bulls honestly. Shame Chuck didn't have the realization KG had, that he should have left sooner.
    Last edited by Chronz; 06-14-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Iím gonna go with in the 96 offseason this transaction happened:

The Minnesota Timberwolves traded Ray Allen and a 1998 1st round draft pick (Rasho Nesterovic was later selected) to the Milwaukee Bucks for Stephon Marbury.
    The Jazz had Ostertag and Fosted (rookie and 5th year), and Jeff Hornacek. If they could have swung two of those and a 1st for Ray Allen, they could have started:

Stockton
    Allen
    Russell
    Malone
    Ostertag/Foster

PROCESSING

In 1995-96, the Sonics finished with 64 wins, 8th in offense and 2nd in defense, and lost to the Bulls in the Finals in 6 games. The only real weak link was Sam Perkins who had been declining for about 3 years post injury, yet still played 2169 minutes plus 654 in the playoffs.

If they had traded up 8 spots from 26th to 18th that draft and took Theo Ratliff, I think they win a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    In 1995-96, the Sonics finished with 64 wins, 8th in offense and 2nd in defense, and lost to the Bulls in the Finals in 6 games. The only real weak link was Sam Perkins who had been declining for about 3 years post injury, yet still played 2169 minutes plus 654 in the playoffs.

If they had traded up 8 spots from 26th to 18th that draft and took Theo Ratliff, I think they win a championship.
    But what does Theo Ratliff really do? They had no post players you had to worry about stopping and Wennington/Longley would have had a field day shooting elbow and baseline jumpers if he left them to rim protect against Jordan/Pippen. I feel like an upgrade over the unathletic wings like Schremph and Horaceck would have been much more beneficial. Those guys were good players but not enough to overcome the firepower the Bulls had on the wings.

Every time in that second 3-peat they faced a team who's best players were PG/PF with no real threats on the wings that the Bulls couldn't handle.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Iím gonna go with in the 96 offseason this transaction happened:

The Jazz had Ostertag and Fosted (rookie and 5th year), and Jeff Hornacek. If they could have swung two of those and a 1st for Ray Allen, they could have started:

Stockton
    Allen
    Russell
    Malone
    Ostertag/Foster
    That's a dream scenario right there as a Jazz fan and I LOVED Allen coming out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    But what does Theo Ratliff really do? They had no post players you had to worry about stopping and Wennington/Longley would have had a field day shooting elbow and baseline jumpers if he left them to rim protect against Jordan/Pippen. I feel like an upgrade over the unathletic wings like Schremph and Horaceck would have been much more beneficial. Those guys were good players but not enough to overcome the firepower the Bulls had on the wings.

Every time in that second 3-peat they faced a team who's best players were PG/PF with no real threats on the wings that the Bulls couldn't handle.
    Ratliff gives them a better rebounder and shot blocker that isn't hilariously outmatched by Rodman. They had enough firepower, they needed a more mobile big that could control the paint. They had to play Perkins and he was terrible. That would also let Kemp spend more time at PF. What was wrong with Detlef Schrimpf? He was a scoring machine on a team that needed a 3rd scorer who could space the floor. Who do you replace him with that's more athletic but isn't worse offensively? Who is an upgrade that you could get? This team was TWO games from a ring. Theo Ratliff makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    That's a dream scenario right there as a Jazz fan and I LOVED Allen coming out of college.
    Haha I bet. But in an era where centers like that were coveted, and an aging Hornecik might have enticed them. A still young Ray Allen who can play on ball, giving spacing for that PnR tandem...amazing.

PROCESSING

had Chuck and Clyde come to the Rockets a few years earlier, I think that squad would have beaten the Bulls at least once. Clyde from like 1988-1992 was basically the clearcut second best player in the NBA after MJ. Chuck and Hakeem basically took over that mantle after that. You would basically have had the #2, 3, 4 ranked stars versus #1 + two players #10-20 in Scottie and Rodman.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Ignoring the greatest dynasty of all (60's C's)
    More like dynasty with the least competition.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    This won't be a popular opinion, but some fair and impartial officiating is all that was needed to stop that dynasty.

The Knicks got KILLED by the officials in 92 and 93, and the Blazers and Suns got beat up by the officials both years as well.

I remember watching the Suns/Bulls series at my friends house and his father, who wasn't a basketball fan, kept asking with officials were calling things so differently for this 'Michelel Jordan' (he was French, so it wasn't meant as an isult). I just rolled my eyes.

The Bulls represented 90% of the league's revenue at the time and the ratings for the finals were astronomically higher when MJ was in the finals: they were protecting their cash cow. Anybody who watches those games objectively see how overtly officials called for Jordan. Evne Jordan fans made jokes about it.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.