Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Charania: Magic, Bulls will match max offers on Gordon, LaVine

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports recently said on Chris Mannix's podcast that the Magic would likely match maximum offers on restricted free agents Aaron Gordon and Zach LaVine:
    I think both teams are aware that they need to go to max number for them. But the question will be are they going to make them go get a sheet? Are they going to match? They’re going to match. I think the sentiment I’ve gotten from both teams is “Listen, if Zach LaVine goes and gets a max, we have too much invested in him.” “If Aaron Gordon…” That’s kind of the template. That’s the range.
    - Yahoo Sports, via Dan Feldman, NBC Sports

And this is why both teams will continue to struggle. Neither player is worth a max.

Id Max Gordon but not levine... i get why the bulls must but **** that.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    And this is why both teams will continue to struggle. Neither player is worth a max.
    agreed but you dont want to lose a 22 year old putting up 16/7/6 on great shooting... id let levine walk for a max though or trade him now.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    agreed but you dont want to lose a 22 year old putting up 16/7/6 on great shooting... id let levine walk for a max though or trade him now.
    Neither of them are doing that.

Magic are stupid if true. He's basically a worse Blake Griffin

^MTM, he's putting up inflated stats on a horrible team. Don't buy into his hype, his game is the opposite of what teams should be looking for in today's nba

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Magic are stupid if true. He's basically a worse Blake Griffin

^MTM, he's putting up inflated stats on a horrible team. Don't buy into his hype, his game is the opposite of what teams should be looking for in today's nba
    It's hard to tell whether Gordon is winning material unless he's put in a winning situation. Physically, he could become a lockdown defender who you can throw at Durant or LeBron. He's improved in scoring and rebounding most years. I'd like to see what he can do playing third fiddle next to a couple stars.

The downside of the max contract is that everybody thinks they "deserve" a max contract and it only takes one team to buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

Some of these guys are better off as assets to sell right before you can’t anymore (not sure if they’re Restricted this year or not-and I don’t care to look it up).

True fan is right. Give big money to meh guys and you’ll never compete.

I wonder if the teams with cap will make this happen? Who can even do it given cap space, like Lakers/Philly/Dallas?

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I wonder if the teams with cap will make this happen? Who can even do it given cap space, like Lakers/Philly/Dallas?
    No way the Sixers go after one of them and I doubt the Lakers blow their load on one of them. Cuban might bite because, well, that’d be a Cuban thing to do.

Here’s a quick reference:

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 06-14-2018 at 03:15 AM.

Both teams could also say that to deter teams from making a max offer and try to sign them at a lower value

It does not mean they'd match a max though. I'd let other teams tie big money to these guys.

Although I think that LaVine will be much better than Wiggins in the long run. I wish Minny did trade Wiggins to Chicago instead...

I LaVine's recent injury history a concern? He's still young but he has definitely shown flashes of potentially being worth a max at some point in the future ... not now, but he could earn it later.

And this is why the nbas salary structure is broken. Neither guy should come close to the max, but both will get offered because is screws with the Magic/Bulls future cap.

PROCESSING

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast