Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team would win in a 7 game series?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Ribbon Army

13 68.42%
  • Saskatchatoon Snozzberries

4 21.05%
  • GMs vote here

2 10.53%

NBA All-Time Redraft Playoffs 2nd Round (Red Ribbon Army v Saskatchatoon Snozzberries

Every year Members of PSD participate in a draft of all players all-time in an attempt to make the best team possible and win in a playoff determined by fellow members of PSD.

This years rules included being able to only start 2 players from the 00's and 1 from the 70's and earlier.

Look over the two teams and vote on which team you think would win in a 7 game series. The top team has home-court advantage for this series.

Red Ribbon Army - Homecourt Advantage

C: Hakeem Olajuwon (80-99) / Andrew Bogut (00-18)
    PF: Willis Reed (60-79) / Jamaal Wilkes (60-79)
    SF: Andre Igoudala (00-18) / Gordon Hayward (00-18)
    SG: Manu Ginobili (00-18) / Marques Johnson (80-99)
    PG: Isiah Thomas(80-99) / Danny Ainge (80-99)

v

Saskatchatoon Snozzberries

PG Chauncey Billups | Dave Bing
    SG Sam Jones | DeMar Derozan
    SF Larry Bird | Lamar Odom
    PF Shawn Kemp | Elvin Hayes
    C Dikembe Mutombo | DeAndre Jordan

Am I crazy for thinking Elvin Hayes should start over Mutombo?

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Am I crazy for thinking Elvin Hayes should start over Mutombo?
    No, you're not.

AI has Dikembe's prime listed as "93-96"

Fortunately for me, this is basically Hakeem's prime too! They matched up IRL during this period 13 times, so we don't have to "imagine" how it happened.

Here are the results from 93-96:

13 Game Sample Size

8-5 Record In favor of Hakeem.

Hakeem

27.38 PPG
    11.07 RPG
    3.85 BPG

FGA 296
    FGM 148

FG% 50

Dikembe

10.23 PPG
    10.38 RPG
    2.77 BPG

1.5 Less BPG than his 4.2 average from 93-96. Meaning he was too busy guarding Hakeem that he wouldn't be able to guard the paint like he normally did. IT, Manu and Iggy would be able to relentlessly attack the rim because Dikembe would be too busy guarding Hakeem. Dikembe is known for his defensive presence, but here it's nullified because of how big of a threat Hakeem is. Mutombo's biggest strength is not the same strength it is in other matchups, and lets be honest. Mutombo's 10 points are basically a negative on offense, you can't rely on him at all. He can get his put backs and lobs, but those 10 points are too little to help here.

These are the two best defensive players in the NBA during this time period. Hakeem won 2 DPOYs and Mutombo won the other from 93-96. Hakeem is able to saf off of Mutombo because he's not an offensive threat, while Mutombo can't do the same. Meaning that while Mutombo can't protect the paint like he normally does, Hakeem can.
    Last edited by Lakers + Giants; 06-13-2018 at 05:32 PM.

As for how we're guarding Larry Bird? Iguodala will be on him to limit him. He'll play the 2015 NBA finals Iggy role. His primary role is to limit Bird as much as possible, just like how he did against Lebron. I'm not saying he's going to shut him down, but he'll make Bird work for every point. Additionally, when Iggy gets some rest Jamaal Wilkes will step in. He has experience guarding Bird in the 80s and is a 2x All Defensive player, capable of being a pest on both ends, making life tough for Bird.

Honestly, I can even let Hakeem guard Kemp anyway. To severely limit Kemp's impact, while still allowing Hakeem to help protect the paint because Kemp strictly operated in the paint. This also allows me to "hide" Reed on Mutombo, Reed was a great defensive player himself and would still make Mutombo a negative on that end. Just showing how versatile my frontcourt defense can be.

Defensively I match up very well with LGs team and I have 3 guys in Mutombo, Hayes and DeAndre that I can throw at Hakeem. I honestly believe Bird would go off this series, even with someone like Iguodala guarding him for most of the series.

We will also be playing small ball at times with Hayes getting some time at C with Bird at PF and Odom at the 3. This allows us to exploit some matchups since both Bird and Odom could guard Reed with ease IMO. Overall, this would be a tough/close series but it comes down to who you guys believe would carry their team this series.

Hakeem facing 3 very good defensive bigs in Mutombo, Hayes and DeAndre or Bird going off on Iggy. Not to mention LGs bench will be a non-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Defensively I match up very well with LGs team and I have 3 guys in Mutombo, Hayes and DeAndre that I can throw at Hakeem. I honestly believe Bird would go off this series, even with someone like Iguodala guarding him for most of the series.
    I've already shown how Hakeem still went off on Mutombo in both of their primes. Mutombo didn't even slow Hakeem down, He's waaaaay better defensively than both Hayes and Deandre so relying on those two is even worse. Meanwhile Hakeem, Reed and Bogut can all EASILY guard Mutombo and Deandre because both rely on putbacks and lobs with no real offensive game whatsoever. Hayes is also capable of scoring more than the other two but his career 49.1 TS% is laughably bad for a big. Hell, I'll give you his best three year stretch at less than 52 TS%. He'll score more than the other two, but the efficiency will be brutal for you.

We will also be playing small ball at times with Hayes getting some time at C with Bird at PF and Odom at the 3. This allows us to exploit some matchups since both Bird and Odom could guard Reed with ease IMO. Overall, this would be a tough/close series but it comes down to who you guys believe would carry their team this series.
    You're doing me a favor if you believe odom can play small forward. I watched him play his entire laker career and there's a reason he was brought off the bench to make for Gasol at PF and Bynum at C. He couldn't play the small forward role like everyone believed. He's a solid playmaker but he can't do what he does while playing the small forward role. Lamar Odom as a SF: 50 TS%, .05 WS/48. His TOV% is also at his highest when he played SF. He just couldn't do it, he was a thought of as a "tweener" but he actually was a PF. Reed is used to playing against centers, if you want a scrawny odom guarding him, i'll gladly take that.

Hakeem facing 3 very good defensive bigs in Mutombo, Hayes and DeAndre or Bird going off on Iggy. Not to mention LGs bench will be a non-factor.
    Except none of those three are even capable of guarding Hakeem. While 2 (Deandre and Mutombo) are negatives on the offensive end Hayes can score at an inefficient 50 TS%? I'll gladly take that. Might even be significantly lower with Hakeem guarding him.

Also, how is my bench a non-factor when Bogut can easily come in and give Hakeem a few minutes of rest while being able to "hide" on deandre/mutombo while being a great passing big? Also, who in your starting lineup or bench is capable of guarding Marques Johnson? He can have a bigger impact than any of your bench players. You don't have anyone to stop his 22.7 PER, .585 TS%, .209 WS/48, 118 ORtg, 103 DRtg, 22.5 PPG on 55 FG%... I have the best player coming off the bench this series too..
    Last edited by Lakers + Giants; 06-13-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Score?

Kristaps Porzingis

Score?
    8 to 2 in favor of LG

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3:32395059
    Score?
    8 to 2 in favor of LG
    Bird might be the least successful top 10 player of all-time in these games. I also think Kemp is underrated. At his best he was incredible.

Kristaps Porzingis

Red Ribbon Army wins.