Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

GREATEST NBA Players All-time *updated through 2017-18 season

In the over 70 seasons of NBA and ABA basketball, the hundreds of variations of rules, and the thousands of players, it’s important to—at least theoretically—create a standard period of time in which comparisons between classic players and current players can be reasonably performed.
    The Early 90s (ie 1990-94) period stands out as one of the most balanced periods in 75 total NBA and ABA seasons I’ve reviewed. The early 90s is mistaking characterized as a period dominated by Centers, but outside of the elites David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, and 1992-93 Shaquille O'Neal, the early 90s didn’t have the depth at Center as the position did in the 70s and 80s. However, the guard play was elevated in the early 90s compared to prior periods, especially if we look beyond the household names, players like Alvin Robertson, Hersey Hawkins, Terry Porter, Pooh Richardson, Mookie Blaylock, Reggie Lewis, and Micheal Williams were above average in their productivity from the backcourt.

The early 90s was a period of balanced production from all positions.

My methodology takes the NBA and ABA league average box stats for each year starting from 1950 and compares them in this Early 90s time period to produce a factor multiplied by each player’s individual stats. I was able to provide researched estimates where stats like turnovers, steals, and blocks are missing from the box record.

The second phase of my work assesses league quality and its function to describe the overall level of competition in a given time period. For example, the current NBA, while not as balanced across positions, is the highest quality era to date. Global interest in the NBA has changed demographics, which now include a much higher rate of international players—meaning player recruitment has expanded to reach additional populations competing for those limited roster spots. The development of the G League has helped provide high level training and skill development in the fashion of the MLB farm system.

All box stats fall subject to these two adjustments:
    1. Aforementioned time period adjustment—a standard balanced era. The objective is to neutralize league level disparities created primarily by differences in rules and pace.
    2. The league quality adjustment—which factors in the level of competition.

*All-time Players are listed in the first column by lowest score—The All-time Score is a combination of peak value and career value.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ca0BdN/pubhtml

I don’t get how peak is graded.

That 2007 spurs swept the Cavs. They only had ONE all NBA player in Duncan. They should of lost to a Mike D Antoni team, but Amare and Diaw got screwed and couldn’t play. Great teams don’t lose to D Antoni.

They where much better the next season as the defending Champs. TWO all NBA players in Duncan and Ginobli. Parker was the reigning finals MVP. TWO all NBA First Team Defenders in Bowen and Duncan. That’s a super team.
    Kobe just beat them easier then Spurs beat the CAvs.

Kobe had zero All NBA players and zero all NBA defenders on his team. Kobe’s “help” was Gasol who only averaged 1 more point then Drew Goodon, James help the year prior. So you plug in Goodon for Gasol and that’s enough help for what Kobe did to that highly ranked defense. Kobe destroyed Bowen and his all NBA defense, even with Duncan anchoring the team defense. It’s was almost not fair how better Kobe was then the Spurs team as a whole. Everyone knew Kobe was going to shoot and it didn’t matter. Duncan couldn’t even slow him down.

So Kobe being better then the defending champs Spurs as a whole is still not as high of a peak as Paul, Robinson or Malone?

Advance stats are to advance for me.

Lionel... a lot to say, but if Lamarcus Aldridge rates Top 30 All Time in your analysis of best NBA players, your analysis is broken. You do realize this?

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Lionel... a lot to say, but if Lamarcus Aldridge rates Top 30 All Time in your analysis of best NBA players, your analysis is broken. You do realize this?
    You don't understand the platform I've created to generate player comparisons. How could I compare Power Forwards like Aldridge, Griffin, Millsap to Kemp, Webber, or Larry Johnson without considering that the current is a guard-centered league? On average, PF's during the mid 90s got 25% more FGA's. I factor in these differences, among other variables. For example, in a neutral era, Aldridge actual FG stats from 2008-09: 7.4 FGM/15.3 FGA adjust to 9.3 FGM/18.8 FGA.

Wow Tony Parker was a scrub apparently. How did he ever win a Finals MVP? Winning didn’t make him less of a scrub but losing to him? Again didn’t meaning anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel20 View Post
    You don't understand the platform I've created to generate player comparisons. How could I compare Power Forwards like Aldridge, Griffin, Millsap to Kemp, Webber, or Larry Johnson without considering that the current is a guard-centered league? On average, PF's during the mid 90s got 25% more FGA's. I factor in these differences, among other variables. For example, in a neutral era, Aldridge actual FG stats from 2008-09: 7.4 FGM/15.3 FGA adjust to 9.3 FGM/18.8 FGA.
    It doesn't matter the platform, if your analysis leads to Aldridge being a top 30 player all time your system is horribly flawed. You certainly spend a lot of time on all of these things but they all end up being really flawed in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    It doesn't matter the platform, if your analysis leads to Aldridge being a top 30 player all time your system is horribly flawed. You certainly spend a lot of time on all of these things but they all end up being really flawed in one way or another.
    Except that it does matter. Given the points I mentioned in the OP, today’s NBA produces higher quality of players that ever before.

My list has two tiers that led to player score, career value and per game value. Aldridge is not top 30 career-wise, but level of performance, quality of the era, etc Aldridge appears underrated.

Just look at the ESPM or SI Lists.

Im my opinion, its probably more accurate then any list you guys can come up with. The actually watched the games form the 70s and 80s. you guys judge players off their youtube highlight reel.

No offense man but your system seems a little flawed here. Larry Nance and lamarcus over dirk? La over harden? You could not trade la for either player at their bests.

Wilt 14? Elton brand, Larry Nance, and Blake Griffin are not better Than bill Russell.

You can't calculate greatness, greatness is measured by one's personal opinion