Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    whatever happens, happens
    pretty much this, I'm in "meh" mode and would be the same basically no matter who we hired

also, here's the Ringer's take: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6...-pistons-coach

There’s no reason Casey can’t turn this roster into a middling playoff team in the East, but it won’t be easy both given the conference’s outlook and the franchise’s cap situation. Winning a championship is any team’s ultimate goal, as it was for Casey in Toronto, but in Detroit, expectations are lower for now. That’s when Casey is at his best: taking modest expectations and exceeding them.
    sounds optimistic I guess

He's good at developing players...we need guys like Stanley, Kennard, and Ellenson to step up if we want any postseason success (or any success really). This team is what it is, and Casey's job is to get the most out of it, something SVG was not able to do.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by markbutter View Post
    I think we made the playoffs at 44-38. I do think the east is better than it was then and I do think we have more talent than we had then, so I'm looking at 45-48 wins minimum and would have some serious questions if we didn't rattle of a couple of streaks that could put us withi 50.

The last couple of seasons, even without the injuries, we had a couple of losing streaks that were totally not necessary IMHO. That's coaching and playing hard against the teams you should beat.

I just think the talent on this team when healthy is being understated by many. I don't think Gores thinks this way - as he ok'd the deal for Blake and obviously thinks that's a better fit. And I don't think the front office should give a hint of "go get 'em you .500 guys." This is the most talent on this team in nearly a decade. I know that might not be saying much, but then it also says how bad we've been and how far we've come.

Half a dozen teams missed out on Booker and Mitchell - which really shows how much of a crap shoot the draft really is, unless you're talking about a AD or LeBron. Heck, look at Durant & ?? (guy from Ohio State). That was a franchising altering draft for both teams. I think with the team we have, we can be a player for a guy like Jamal Crawford. Perhaps not signing him, but I think he at least takes a phone call - if for no other reason than he played with Blake in L.A. And that also says something about the talent level on this team. .500 should be the floor IMHO, and anything less puts a lot of pressure on a lot of guys on this team. As it should.
    I get that the draft is a crapshoot after a point, but you can't deny that it's easier to find a star in the top 2 rather than the next 10-15. I'd rather have the odds in my favor...but I know that is just me.

We do indeed have a nice collection of talent...and I think this talent would be good in the NBA...10 years ago. The game is different now though. I don't think this talent suites the NBA. I had high hopes with Blake got here, but his shooting tanked when he arrived...maybe it's small sample size, but honestly the guy needs to shoot high 30's from 3 for him to be truly valuable imo. He also needs to not take long jumpers. Either get in the post or shoot a 3. None of that 18 foot stuff he likes.

Your win total isn't TOO far from mine..I just see us closer to 42 than to 50...which is...meh. Just meh. Which again, is why I think Casey is kind of a stop gap. He won't bring this team to the promise land...and quite frankly that is not all his fault. It's gores/svg/management for allowing the team to have absolutely no cap flexibility in return for a star.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    I get that the draft is a crapshoot after a point, but you can't deny that it's easier to find a star in the top 2 rather than the next 10-15. I'd rather have the odds in my favor...but I know that is just me.

We do indeed have a nice collection of talent...and I think this talent would be good in the NBA...10 years ago. The game is different now though. I don't think this talent suites the NBA. I had high hopes with Blake got here, but his shooting tanked when he arrived...maybe it's small sample size, but honestly the guy needs to shoot high 30's from 3 for him to be truly valuable imo. He also needs to not take long jumpers. Either get in the post or shoot a 3. None of that 18 foot stuff he likes.

Your win total isn't TOO far from mine..I just see us closer to 42 than to 50...which is...meh. Just meh. Which again, is why I think Casey is kind of a stop gap. He won't bring this team to the promise land...and quite frankly that is not all his fault. It's gores/svg/management for allowing the team to have absolutely no cap flexibility in return for a star.
    I agree, the pieces don't perfectly fit, but they don't for the other 29 teams. And money is money and some teams are going to have to pay very large lux tax to stay competitive. If the Warriors had not won the last 3 of 4, a number of people would be grumbling about their lineup and cap tax issues. And I believe CP3 & Houston could have beaten them without the hammy issue.

Blake needs to hit 35% of his 3s and I agree, not take mid range jumpers beyond the FT line. Everybody is chasing the Warriors - as they should. Cleveland only competed because of LeBron and without him, they're not constructed much like "today's NBA." Ditto Philly. Ditto S.A. Ditto Jazz. Houston has to guys with great handles and can get their shot with a PnR big, but look at Ariza's (36.8), Tucker's (37.1) and Gordon's (35.9) 3 pt percentage. We were 35.9 as a team, which was 11th in the league. Houston isn'tt built like the Warriors, they just have two great players and very capable others.

Hitting the lottery would be great. Hitting the lottery to have two "great" players a couple of years apart and then to have them signed in their prime is a very tall task. Heck, Klay was drafted 11 and Green, 35th.

The reason we traded for Blake was 1- available; 2- SVG saving his job and 3 - equally important - no FA is coming to Det.

So while the "Warrior thing" runs it's course, the other 29 teams are battling for 2nd place or "best loser." But there are a host of teams out there that are more eff'd than us. OKC with Melo's contract because he's not opting out. Clev if James leaves. I believe we're one or two JJ Redick / Kyle Korver shooter type and an athletic wing in place of one of those two to really compete. Beat the Warriors in 7 game series, no. Pull an upset to get to the finals? Yes. If everyone stays healthy (which is true of everyone) and some growth from Henry and Luke. OTOH, add in a resigned Tolliver with Bullock, and this team can compete every night. That's a long way from where we were just 2 years ago.

50 wins vs 41 wins is at least one home court series. Every team can't be constructed like the Warriors - if for no other reason - than the 3 of the 4 guys they have they drafted and are able to keep by going over the cap to resign them and having them take team friendly deals. Sure, they built thru the draft, but there were questions of them even initially resigning Curry because of his health (ankles).

you're right, the draft is a crap shoot. See Green, Draymond.
    Last edited by markbutter; 06-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Saw Casey's Coach of the Year speech. I think this is what is needed - in terms of levelness. SVG wore his emotions on his shirt sleeve too often and over the long run players began to tune him out.

Casey's development of younger players and particularly their second (in Toronto) unit will help us tremendously. With SVG being Pres & Coach, and given his less than stellar draft history (to date based on who we had a chance to pick), I think Casey comes across as "Well, this is it. Do it and we'll fix it" rather than SVG's "OMG. I need a good box score from this player" (while throwing his hands in the air, back down and then turning and walking back to the bench).

IN 4 years, we certainly have much more talent than we had. I give SVG props for cutting the string on Josh Smith and B+ on trades. Ability to flip for a major player is going to be hard. But it was also easier when we had middling talent on middling contracts near expiration. Once we drafted Luke - and SVGs spot as Pres - there was no way we were going to resign Bradley. Given Harris is a UFA after this coming season and is at 15M currently - keeping those guys at ~30M combined going forward or getting Blake puts the deal in a better perspective.

I'm impressed by Casey and really want to see what he can do with this team. I think we're an above average veteran signing of having just as much or near the talent level of Toronto going forward (everyone remaining healthy of course). So we shall see.
    Last edited by markbutter; 06-26-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Congrats to Casey on winning COY.

As a raptor fan, Casey was my fav coach the franchise has ever had. He’s got some flaws like anyone else, like his in game adjustments when the team is down.

But for the most part you’re getting a coach that brings stability, and is someone who the players trust and respect.

Lowry was one of the most difficult players to coach and keep under control yet he became an All-Star under Casey and never had that sort of success with the two teams and coaches he played for before he became a raptor.

Casey will only take the team as far as the talent allows so the pistons have some work to do but you have the right coach to elevate what’s currently in place.

Also, Casey had less to work with when he started in Toronto, I think the pistons have a shot of being a higher seed in the post season next year. (4-5 range) is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Congrats to Casey on winning COY.

As a raptor fan, Casey was my fav coach the franchise has ever had. He’s got some flaws like anyone else, like his in game adjustments when the team is down.

But for the most part you’re getting a coach that brings stability, and is someone who the players trust and respect.

Lowry was one of the most difficult players to coach and keep under control yet he became an All-Star under Casey and never had that sort of success with the two teams and coaches he played for before he became a raptor.

Casey will only take the team as far as the talent allows so the pistons have some work to do but you have the right coach to elevate what’s currently in place.

Also, Casey had less to work with when he started in Toronto, I think the pistons have a shot of being a higher seed in the post season next year. (4-5 range) is my guess.

Appreciate the kind words. Don't currently see anyone on the team as prickly as Lowry - from what you say. Stability, NOT in terms of "OMG, the world is ending (jr high school drama) is exactly what we're looking for.

Think we can be a 4-5 seed also as I believe the talent is there. Need a knockout shooter from 3 would help our cause tremendously.

Appreciate the kind words. Don't currently see anyone on the team as prickly as Lowry - from what you say. Stability, NOT in terms of "OMG, the world is ending (jr high school drama) is exactly what we're looking for.

Think we can be a 4-5 seed also as I believe the talent is there. Need a knockout shooter from 3 would help our cause tremendously.
    With us basically drafting 2 combo guards along with Kennard and Galloway penciled in as SGs, my guess is Bullock will be our starting SF next season barring some semi-big trade. A lineup of Jackson/Kennard/Bullock/Griffin/Drummond would be ideal IMO as it relates to spacing and maximizing our 3pt potential, but the concern is how would that lineup fair defensively.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

We have the best coach in the NBA!

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    With us basically drafting 2 combo guards along with Kennard and Galloway penciled in as SGs, my guess is Bullock will be our starting SF next season barring some semi-big trade. A lineup of Jackson/Kennard/Bullock/Griffin/Drummond would be ideal IMO as it relates to spacing and maximizing our 3pt potential, but the concern is how would that lineup fair defensively.
    I think the front court can hold its own on a majority of nights. Not every nite, but a lot. Plus I hink Stanley starts - if for no other reason than to add some offense to the second unit with Bullock and contribute to spacing.

ESPN has a good breakdown of everyone's supposed needs and money available with depth charts. The 2 second round picks will make Buycks and his 1.6M (guaranteed 1-Sep) expendable as both of those guys combined will probably not total that number.

We have 8.6M non-tax midlevel, 3.4 bi-annual and 7.0M in trade exception with two others that I do not believe can be combined. I think we can get a decent guy at the non-tax midlevel after the dust settles 1-Jul. It appears SA will wait on Kawhi and any fallout there and the Lakers will hold their money if they don't get anyone. Plus, teams like OKC & Clev, if George and James opt out - IIRC - can't then resign them and do an SnT. They'd have to wait most typically until 15-Dec. So those teams don't have money if these guys leave - or less money as the case may be to sign FAs.

Just what this team needs, a coach who doesn't know how to use a clipboard when is really counts!

Quote Originally Posted by shy24 View Post
    Just what this team needs, a coach who doesn't know how to use a clipboard when is really counts!
    That was Randy Wittman!

That was Randy Wittman!
    they must be cut from the same zygote

Saw and article / blogwhere Avery Johnson & Blake Griffin were surprised by the length of practices during the season. Felt like it gave the team tired legs. Interesting in that Casey is supposedly different.

Bumber about Leuer surgery. But hopefully he's ready for camp.

Saw and article / blogwhere Avery Johnson & Blake Griffin were surprised by the length of practices during the season. Felt like it gave the team tired legs. Interesting in that Casey is supposedly different.

Bumber about Leuer surgery. But hopefully he's ready for camp.
    I forgot he was on the team

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast