Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lacob says Warriors will try to keep Green and Thompson

Warriors owner Joe Lacob plans to try and keep Klay Thompson and Draymond Green, although both would have to surrender significant money:

"All good things cost a lot," Lacob told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne. "We're going to try to sign Klay and Draymond to extensions this summer. They've earned the right to do whatever they want; maybe they want to wait until free agency. I can't control that. But we'll do whatever we can to keep them."
    It's not in Thompson's best interest to ink an extension right now. An extension this summer would pay out $102 million, while a max contract in the summer of 2019 could net him $187.9 million.
    Green, meanwhile, is slated to net $17.5 million next season and $18.5 million during the 2019-20 campaign. Like Thompson, it stands to reason he would be forfeiting some serious cash if he re-upped now instead of waiting until he becomes an unrestricted free agent.
    "We've proven that if we think we're competing for a championship, we'll be in the luxury tax," Lacob said. "No one wants to be, but we expect to be. All I can tell you is we're going to sit down and do our planning on how we're going to improve the team for the future and setting ourselves up in the future. And it could go a number of different ways."
    - Alec Nathan, Bleacher Report

Unbelievable! Lacob wants to retain those two? You donít say.

Donít worry, theyíll make up that lost income (and then some for taking a sweetheart deal) from Lacobís buddies in endorsement deals.

Thatís a big reason why the Warriors are moving to SF in the New Chase Arena.

Ticket sales and the money they make from renting the arena out, will offset the impending luxury tax.

Klay shouldn't re-sign now, you never know GS might just trade him. No reason to rush.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

While Klay is the better player, Green is more unique and potentially cheaper. If they can't keep both don't be surprised if it's Green who stays. This is the same thing that happened with the Thunder. The correct decision was keeping Ibaka and trading the better Hardin.

I'd trade Klay for the right offer right now, let him go be a superstar somewhere else. That 2nd overall and Buddy Hield would be enough. Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba would all develop amazingly on this Warriors roster. Look at how good McGee looked at times.

Heard a rumor that there is estimations that in the new arena, season ticket prices will skyrocket.

Like first 10 rows will balloon from $100,000 to $500,000.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Unbelievable! Lacob wants to retain those two? You donít say.

Donít worry, theyíll make up that lost income (and then some for taking a sweetheart deal) from Lacobís buddies in endorsement deals.
    Gotta even it up somehow. Or should teams in states that have no state tax be the only ones with inherit advantages?
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Gotta even it up somehow. Or should teams in states that have no state tax be the only ones with inherit advantages?
    The Warriors local TV deal is terrible right now, not sure when it's available for renegotiation, but it will likely triple.

That said, this whole thread isn't news at all.

Ima create a thread anytime an owner says they're trying to create a player.

Bucks trying to keep Snell and ROY Broggy? thread. Bulls trying to keep Dunn and some scrub? Thread.

Like Donny Trump is doing for America after a brutal 8 years, I am making PSD Great Again One Post at a time, doe!!

One Big A-- (8 year) Mistake America. Coincidence? I think not.

Push comes to shove, keep Draymond over Klay. Draymond is a poor man's LeBron.
    I could see Draymond being chill with an extension, but not Klay. Time will tell.

The NBA is a business of entertainment and like any business, they're goal is to maximize their profits. There aren't many ways to cut costs in the NBA, except for the enormous salaries they give to their employees. As fans, of course we want to see them keep re-signing their own players, but you also have to look at what it costs in order to do so, especially when they're paying a million per every million that they're over the threshold. Thats still a lot of money no matter what tax bracket you're in. Over the last two seasons, the Warriors will have paid roughly $32M in luxury taxes. They had a payroll of $139M this past season so that figure becomes $157M after the taxes are paid. Lets not forget that they're also spending $1B on the new Chase Center as well. Sooner or later, they'll have to find way to cut costs.

I was absolutely surprised when Curry took a max deal. Sure he has been underpaid for the last 5 years but that was because of his ankle issues. The Warriors didn't want to invest too much into him at the time and Curry was looking for a guaranteed stable financial solution just in case his ankle never really healed. Looking into the future. Klay signs an extension at $27M a year and Draymond Green, after the 19-20 season, signs an extension for around the same amount. Durant continues to sign his 2 year contracts with an opt out in the second year, lets say for $30M, which is still a bargain for him. In that 20-21 season, they would have to allocate $127M just for those four players. With the pattern of the cap rise, they would still be over the cap with only 4 players.

Thats not to say that the Warriors can't win another championship with just Curry and KD, but the salary cap is there of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    Klay shouldn't re-sign now, you never know GS might just trade him. No reason to rush.
    It wouldn't be hard to have a NTC added to the contract

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Ima create a thread anytime an owner says they're trying to create a player.

Bucks trying to keep Snell and ROY Broggy? thread. Bulls trying to keep Dunn and some scrub? Thread.
    In case it needs to be spelled out for you, those players (and frankly your team) does not matter to the NBA. These are All Stars and have implications of how a dynasty will progress, which in turn colors how the entire league will progress.

The owners are getting a $300 million dollar 30 year loan (interest free) this summer from personal-seat-licenses at the new arena. And their sales as is on a global level are astronomical. They reportedly made $130 million on their 11 home playoff games this year alone. If they want to keep everyone, they have the means.
    Last edited by tredigs; 06-11-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    In case it needs to be spelled out for you, those players (and frankly your team) does not matter to the NBA. These are All Stars and have implications of how a dynasty will progress, which in turn colors how the entire league will progress.

The owners are getting a $300 million dollar 30 year loan (interest free) this summer from personal-seat-licenses at the new arena. And their sales as is on a global level are astronomical. They reportedly made $130 million on their 11 home playoff games this year alone. If they want to keep everyone, they have the means.
    My team does ****ing matter. We have the best Bucking (not filter dodging) in the entire god damn league. Nice fialed troll attempt. Bucks woulda taken down the worriers in 5. Child plz.

Like Donny Trump is doing for America after a brutal 8 years, I am making PSD Great Again One Post at a time, doe!!

One Big A-- (8 year) Mistake America. Coincidence? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    It wouldn't be hard to have a NTC added to the contract
    I think not giving Curry one sets the tone for the team. Nobody can have one on the Warriors.

I think theres alot of trust between players and front office. If they ever had to trade a piece it wouldnt be to a bad situation.

When we had to dump Bogut we gave him options to Houston Dallas and Celtics.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast