Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 123
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    Maryland has one Republican member of the House.

    Maryland is one state gerrymandered by Democrats. Republicans have gerrymandered Ohio, NC, Wisconsin, Michigan, and all of the south into oblivion. You can't just ignore all that and then take one state Democrats gerrymandered and wail "both sides!".
    I'm not, I'm just saying it is something that is done by both sides. I also realize there isn't an easy fix to things, and is why many states are set up to mirror the federal government set up. In the case of Maryland, however, it is gerrymandered heavily when you vote for House of Representatives/Delegates, and because the whole state leans Democrat heavily, the senate is the same way. If you went county by county, I would bet that the Democrats easily lose their ability to veto the governor, and would risk breaking even with the Republicans. It is why a lot of Republican backers are working with the Hogan campaign because they want him back in office when the new census comes out and redrawing the lines if possible.

    Maybe I'm complaining because I lean conservative in a heavily Democratic state, but that's not my intention to complain about it and ignore the other side like you are insinuating.

    As to more of the point in this thread, I know the two parties rule things, but there is an increasing gap on each side that is leaving many in the middle feeling marginalized. If a group of politicians risked it and tried to appeal to the moderates in the middle on both sides, I feel you could see something similar to how the Tea Party has grown in influence, but as a separate party not tied to either side. But which politicians would risk rocking the boat? That's the big question.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post

    As to more of the point in this thread, I know the two parties rule things, but there is an increasing gap on each side that is leaving many in the middle feeling marginalized. If a group of politicians risked it and tried to appeal to the moderates in the middle on both sides, I feel you could see something similar to how the Tea Party has grown in influence, but as a separate party not tied to either side. But which politicians would risk rocking the boat? That's the big question.
    Many Democrats ó certainly the mainstream ó are centrists. As are a host of Republicans.
    Last edited by Crovash; 06-13-2018 at 04:15 PM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I'm not, I'm just saying it is something that is done by both sides. I also realize there isn't an easy fix to things, and is why many states are set up to mirror the federal government set up. In the case of Maryland, however, it is gerrymandered heavily when you vote for House of Representatives/Delegates, and because the whole state leans Democrat heavily, the senate is the same way. If you went county by county, I would bet that the Democrats easily lose their ability to veto the governor, and would risk breaking even with the Republicans. It is why a lot of Republican backers are working with the Hogan campaign because they want him back in office when the new census comes out and redrawing the lines if possible.

    Maybe I'm complaining because I lean conservative in a heavily Democratic state, but that's not my intention to complain about it and ignore the other side like you are insinuating.

    As to more of the point in this thread, I know the two parties rule things, but there is an increasing gap on each side that is leaving many in the middle feeling marginalized. If a group of politicians risked it and tried to appeal to the moderates in the middle on both sides, I feel you could see something similar to how the Tea Party has grown in influence, but as a separate party not tied to either side. But which politicians would risk rocking the boat? That's the big question.
    Districts have to be equal in population. There is no plausible map that gets Republicans to ďbreak evenĒ with Democrats in Maryland.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    44,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Any party supports its nominee. They move from Romney to Trump. Before that they moved from McCani to Romney. Primary loses pretty much always support whoever the nominee is.

    What so unusual about this???

    Democrats are split??? They only ran 2 people. Not much of a split there.
    I guess a better way to put it is that there is a clear divide in both parties, but most GOP voters are tribal enough to get behind their candidate no matter what for the sake of the party.

    Democrats arenít as tribal. Granted, it helps when their party was exposed for rigging their primary, so thereís a difference there. Also, the Democrats have no central values or messaging. Their only consistent message is ďWeíre the other partyĒ.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    44,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    Berniecrats encompasses a lot of people. I supported Bernie but still voted for Clinton. Maybe if I lived in a solid D state I wouldnít have done that but most Bernie supporters went to Clinton. They just didnít get as much media attention obviously.
    Well sure. I was making a generalization that doesnít apply to everyone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    83,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    This is far more prevalent on the Democrat side.

    Far miore.
    This is bunk. Unadulterated bunk.

    The belief that they know better than voters exists equally on all sides. Youíre fooling yourself something fierce here.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Well sure. I was making a generalization that doesnít apply to everyone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I know. It's fine. I'm just saying don't generalize so much.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    40,233
    OP. You watch Bill Maher and nod your head to his drivel.
    It seems as though he understands the American pulse in this nation but resides in California which is nowhere near the average American political median.

    Those moments on the show where the camera focuses on him, and he drops his partisan promo/monologue, and then the crowd claps, cheers, whoots n hollers. Some on the other side of the tv do what you do and laugh and slap their knees, but some also turn off tv OR donít have HBO because it caters to the liberal driven agenda and could care less.

    There is no changing you. Just accept it

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,542
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    OP. You watch Bill Maher and nod your head to his drivel.
    It seems as though he understands the American pulse in this nation but resides in California which is nowhere near the average American political median.

    Those moments on the show where the camera focuses on him, and he drops his partisan promo/monologue, and then the crowd claps, cheers, whoots n hollers. Some on the other side of the tv do what you do and laugh and slap their knees, but some also turn off tv OR donít have HBO because it caters to the liberal driven agenda and could care less.

    There is no changing you. Just accept it
    ????


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    40,233
    I live in California, and there is no converting another to other side.
    A neo lib isnít going to change parties unless something drastic affects them personally.
    Since Trump, Iíve only see one person change their tune about him by marrying someone who voted for him. BUT, Iíve heard stories of people divorcing over their 2016 vote so there you go.

    Nothing wrong with you watching and agreeing with Maherís, but heís the political pundit who attacks the other side regularly and thereís no changing that.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,320
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    I live in California, and there is no converting another to other side.
    A neo lib isnít going to change parties unless something drastic affects them personally.
    Since Trump, Iíve only see one person change their tune about him by marrying someone who voted for him. BUT, Iíve heard stories of people divorcing over their 2016 vote so there you go.

    Nothing wrong with you watching and agreeing with Maherís, but heís the political pundit who attacks the other side regularly and thereís no changing that.
    More proof California is hopeless. Never seen more zealotry in my life than in that state and I've been to, albeit relatively secular, Muslim nations and all over the east coast and Europe.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    83,778
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    More proof California is hopeless. Never seen more zealotry in my life than in that state and I've been to, albeit relatively secular, Muslim nations and all over the east coast and Europe.
    Just to be clear, when you say "hopeless", do you mean 8th largest global just behind the entire country of India and ahead of Italy. Just want to make sure that I fully understand your definition of "hopeless". Since I think that I'm going to require a translator for my next response.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    10,741
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Just to be clear, when you say "hopeless", do you mean 8th largest global just behind the entire country of India and ahead of Italy. Just want to make sure that I fully understand your definition of "hopeless". Since I think that I'm going to require a translator for my next response.
    Sure, and those credentials benefit less than 1% of their population. Take away silicone valley and Hollywood...you have a bunch of poor people surrounded by wineries.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    11,542
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    I live in California, and there is no converting another to other side.
    A neo lib isnít going to change parties unless something drastic affects them personally.
    Since Trump, Iíve only see one person change their tune about him by marrying someone who voted for him. BUT, Iíve heard stories of people divorcing over their 2016 vote so there you go.

    Nothing wrong with you watching and agreeing with Maherís, but heís the political pundit who attacks the other side regularly and thereís no changing that.
    I'm not a homer of Maher if that's what you're implying. Maher recently said he hopes for a recession because that would get rid of Trump. That's the Hollywood/Liberal elite in a nutshell. Someone like Maher could weather a recession while everyone else would suffer. I can't stand the Liberal elite and the 'moral authority' of Hollywood. It's a complete turnoff into wanting to support.

    But what he said how liberals always lose and liberal victories being hollow I didn't think was wrong or anything bias or homeresque lol.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,320
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Just to be clear, when you say "hopeless", do you mean 8th largest global just behind the entire country of India and ahead of Italy. Just want to make sure that I fully understand your definition of "hopeless". Since I think that I'm going to require a translator for my next response.
    No I mean California is the furthest along in the Brazilifacation of America process and they're brainwashed enough to love it and think everyone else is ignorant for not loving it as much as they do. Near the tops in homelessness, income inequality, and most measures of social cohesion. The state is basically an uber-rich class and a peasant class, with an ever-shrinking middle class. And many of their citizens think that's great.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •