Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Will LBJ win finals MVP but lose the series?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 28.00%
  • No

18 72.00%
Page 81 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2083

Is LeBron to LA in 2018 very eerily similar to Shaq to MIA in 2004?

Both guys coming off of finals losses (Shaq with LAL to Detroit, Bron with CLE to GSW), both guys on the cusp of leaving their primes, both guys going to teams with young star players (Wade coming off a stellar rookie year vs Zo with a meh rookie year, Kuzma with a stellar rookie, Ingram with a stellar second year and Randle with a stellar year), and Shaq putting his trust in Pat Riley vs LeBron putting his trust in Magic Johnson.

Shaq was entering his 13th season in 2004 at age 32 and probably a top 2-3 superstar in the league at the time (along with prime Duncan and Kobe just entering his prime) and LeBron will be entering his 16th season in 2018 at age 33 with being the best player in the game (Durant is close being at his prime).

With Pat Riley trading for Shaq, it was bigger picture in the sense that yes, the hope is championships now, but also helping young Wade and the franchise establish a winning championship culture, and making the Heat ‘cool’ in bringing superstars/stars to the franchise. It helped pave the way for bringing prime LeBron and prime Bosh 6 years later in 2010 to join prime Wade.

I think the Lakers organization with Rob and Magic and Jeanie are looking at it similarly. Trying to re-establish LA as a powerhouse for attracting stars and superstars (Kupchak and Jimbo really wet the bed with this since Dr. Buss passed) while having Bron establish these young men and instilling a winning and championship culture for the now and the future.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    This guy turned into the the biggest LeBron-hater to preparing to suck LeBron's noodle...

I'm starting to think that you were right when you said you were just joking. I can see KD and Bron teaming up in LA. It makes sense actually based on the lack of respect KD is getting for winning rings in GSW
    D. Rob gives Hakeem 40/16/7/4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RP3SvZ4O8
    D. Rob gives Alonzo 52/14/7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-NRWNX7Z7Y
    D. Rob gives the Pistons 34/10/10/10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpT0QdUDIY
    D. Rob gives the Clippers 71/14
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck4KXAydlkE
    D. Rob gives Shaq 36/13/7/6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XivZd3mRVw
    D. Rob gives Ewing 45/16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Ddm9WVzjA
    IF YOU DON"T KNOW, NOW YOU KNOW

We can draw similarities with many things just because NBA has a rich history of events but this isn't really a resemblance of Shaq in 2004.

I don't think Lakers saw Shaq as great of an asset anymore. Buss's own words: We can't pay you that amount of money at that age. I can't imagine a team not paying LeBron what he wants for the next 3-4 years. I just can't. At age 33, he's the best player. At age 34-37, I think it's not out of the world for LeBron to still be a top five player. Shaq at that time, honestly, was not even close to to being a top five player and after a year, it was evident he wasn't even top ten.

Plus, Shaq went to a team that really, Wade developed far better than Miami had even expected but Wade had three years of college before going to the NBA. No one on the Lakers has that level of expectation or experience so it's definitely not the same. If LeBron goes to the Lakers, your younglings are getting traded because he is not wasting his best years remaining to develop Lonzo, Kuzma, or Ingram. It's just not happening. Each one of those guys would be lucky to ever have a season half as good as LeBron just had.

I was explicitly told (by trolls) that LeBron was going to the Rockets this offseason. I was also told it was guaranteed he would be in LA (probably by the same trolls).
    The Baker is coming.

The more I think about it, the less likely I think Lebron to Houston is. I would love to see him in a Rockets uniform, and I still think that gives him the best chance to win. But in the back of my mind, I've always felt like LA was his preferred destination.

I just don't think winning alone is the most important thing to him. I think he knows that he could win 6-7 titles and some people would still take MJ over him. And he's proved countless times that he can dominate in the playoffs and win a title with the right pieces. Winning 2-3 more titles doesn't necessarily do much to improve his legacy, which is already cemented as a top 5 all-time player no matter who you talk to.

I think Lebron's smart and is thinking long-term about his career after sports. He wants to be near Hollywood where he can continue to work in the entertainment industry and build on that for his life after basketball. And, ultimately, I don't fault him for that at all (as long as he doesn't convince CP3 to go with him).

Now if ultimately Lebron picks somewhere other than LA, Houston or Cleveland, THEN I'll be confused. Cleveland has been his home, LA is his future home and Houston gives him the best chance to win. If he picks something else, I'll be genuinely surprised. And that's why I think Philly doesn't make a ton of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    I'm starting to think that you were right when you said you were just joking. I can see KD and Bron teaming up in LA. It makes sense actually based on the lack of respect KD is getting for winning rings in GSW
    I mean, I was joking about it but I would not be surprised by it at all. It's definitely the best option for KD, IMO. And the NBA world would have so much more respect for KD. For him to win 2x in a row, announce he wants to go create a dynasty with the Lakers teaming up with LeBron, and then winning numerous championships with the Lakers? His value as a player would skyrocket in terms of respect and career. Him and LeBron would be the favorites. Lakers make a few trades to improve their frontcourt/shooters and boom, you have a true dynasty with the #1/#2 best players in the game for the foreseeable future. Like, even winning the championship with the Warriors, you get the feeling that KD's spot as an All-Time great isn't boosted higher than he should be. Is there any doubt that a 2x Finals Champion/MVP, 1x MVP, 4x NBA Scoring Champion isn't top 10? Because I think it puts anyone into that conversation and yet, no one even mentions it.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    The more I think about it, the less likely I think Lebron to Houston is. I would love to see him in a Rockets uniform, and I still think that gives him the best chance to win. But in the back of my mind, I've always felt like LA was his preferred destination.

I just don't think winning alone is the most important thing to him. I think he knows that he could win 6-7 titles and some people would still take MJ over him. And he's proved countless times that he can dominate in the playoffs and win a title with the right pieces. Winning 2-3 more titles doesn't necessarily do much to improve his legacy, which is already cemented as a top 5 all-time player no matter who you talk to.

I think Lebron's smart and is thinking long-term about his career after sports. He wants to be near Hollywood where he can continue to work in the entertainment industry and build on that for his life after basketball. And, ultimately, I don't fault him for that at all (as long as he doesn't convince CP3 to go with him).

Now if ultimately Lebron picks somewhere other than LA, Houston or Cleveland, THEN I'll be confused. Cleveland has been his home, LA is his future home and Houston gives him the best chance to win. If he picks something else, I'll be genuinely surprised. And that's why I think Philly doesn't make a ton of sense.
    Would you be surprised if he chose the Spurs?

I mean, I was joking about it but I would not be surprised by it at all. It's definitely the best option for KD, IMO. And the NBA world would have so much more respect for KD. For him to win 2x in a row, announce he wants to go create a dynasty with the Lakers teaming up with LeBron, and then winning numerous championships with the Lakers? His value as a player would skyrocket in terms of respect and career. Him and LeBron would be the favorites. Lakers make a few trades to improve their frontcourt/shooters and boom, you have a true dynasty with the #1/#2 best players in the game for the foreseeable future. Like, even winning the championship with the Warriors, you get the feeling that KD's spot as an All-Time great isn't boosted higher than he should be. Is there any doubt that a 2x Finals Champion/MVP, 1x MVP, 4x NBA Scoring Champion isn't top 10? Because I think it puts anyone into that conversation and yet, no one even mentions it.
    If LeBron and KD teamed up in LA, Golden State would get destroyed by that team for the next 3 years, and fall back into irrelevance since Curry would be declining.
    The Baker is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    If LeBron and KD teamed up in LA, Golden State would get destroyed by that team for the next 3 years, and fall back into irrelevance since Curry would be declining.
    Yup. So it's a safe and career defining moment for KD. He wins with Golden State, leaves Golden State, and destroys Golden State. And as great as Golden State is right now in terms of being a franchise, winning for the Lakers/Knicks is simply something that just shapes your career more than any other franchise.

I think it be a lot of work for Rockets to clear cap to get LeBron. Kings balked at 2 first round picks to eat Anderson out right last summer. Kings office been suspect as well. But they didn't budge on that move. Not sure if three late first from rockets get them to budge much either. What other team with a ton of cap will eat Anderson for 2 or 3 first round picks which will be late cause they probably land a star if they have the cap.

Also I wouldn't be shocked a team throws a fast offer first day at Capela and makes trades hard to pull off while matching Capela. So chances are even if you dump dead weight to get a star chances are Capela is gone. Also even if ya dump Anderson $20M per. LeBron probably wants $30M or $35M. Also who knows what CP3 will command to stay.

Lakers were the smart ones to only sign big one year deals and trading for a few expiring deals. Besides Cavs traded expiring IT there. But I think Lakers would have to part with 2 or 3 of their young guys to dump Deng. Also renounce Randle.

Wouldn't be shocked Mavs or Kings chase Randle right out of the gates first day free agency as well. But I think even if the Lakers ink two stars. Then the rest of the league will want a arm and a leg to eat Deng. Even by then most teams may have spent their cap. So a chance Lakers wont have a big 3 this summer. Maybe a big 2. Then try and unload Deng following year.

Yup. So it's a safe and career defining moment for KD. He wins with Golden State, leaves Golden State, and destroys Golden State. And as great as Golden State is right now in terms of being a franchise, winning for the Lakers/Knicks is simply something that just shapes your career more than any other franchise.
    Its really the only way for KD to save his legacy, and by that I mean get it to where it should be. Top 7 player is what he should be aiming for. He's easily better than Kobe, yet Kobe will be higher for some odd reason. So he needs to at least move past Kobe and hover around the Duncan/Dream area.
    D. Rob gives Hakeem 40/16/7/4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RP3SvZ4O8
    D. Rob gives Alonzo 52/14/7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-NRWNX7Z7Y
    D. Rob gives the Pistons 34/10/10/10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpT0QdUDIY
    D. Rob gives the Clippers 71/14
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck4KXAydlkE
    D. Rob gives Shaq 36/13/7/6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XivZd3mRVw
    D. Rob gives Ewing 45/16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Ddm9WVzjA
    IF YOU DON"T KNOW, NOW YOU KNOW

Would you be surprised if he chose the Spurs?
    Yes. San Antonio makes no sense to me. Kawhi is a massive question mark. Parker and Ginobili are fossils. Pop is a fantastic coach, but from a personnel standpoint, Aldridge is probably just about the only thing to get excited about right now if you're a prospective free agent.

If Lebron wants to win, there are better, safer destinations for that. Houston, Boston or Philly would make more sense, and they're all superior media markets to San Antonio.

Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    I think it be a lot of work for Rockets to clear cap to get LeBron. Kings balked at 2 first round picks to eat Anderson out right last summer. Kings office been suspect as well. But they didn't budge on that move. Not sure if three late first from rockets get them to budge much either. What other team with a ton of cap will eat Anderson for 2 or 3 first round picks which will be late cause they probably land a star if they have the cap.

Also I wouldn't be shocked a team throws a fast offer first day at Capela and makes trades hard to pull off while matching Capela. So chances are even if you dump dead weight to get a star chances are Capela is gone. Also even if ya dump Anderson $20M per. LeBron probably wants $30M or $35M. Also who knows what CP3 will command to stay.

Lakers were the smart ones to only sign big one year deals and trading for a few expiring deals. Besides Cavs traded expiring IT there. But I think Lakers would have to part with 2 or 3 of their young guys to dump Deng. Also renounce Randle.

Wouldn't be shocked Mavs or Kings chase Randle right out of the gates first day free agency as well. But I think even if the Lakers ink two stars. Then the rest of the league will want a arm and a leg to eat Deng. Even by then most teams may have spent their cap. So a chance Lakers wont have a big 3 this summer. Maybe a big 2. Then try and unload Deng following year.
    But it's not about whether it's easy or not. I can assure you that if Lebron came out and said "I want to play for the Rockets" tomorrow, Daryl Morey would find a way to do it. It's about whether or not he actually wants to play here in the first place, and I kinda think he doesn't want to. If he were 28 or 29, this would be a different conversation. But I think he's past the point of "I need to go somewhere to maximize my chance at a ring" and has moved on to the "I need to go somewhere to maximize my career after the NBA" stage.

I will hate to watch him in a Lakers jersey, and it will probably make me loathe him for a few years, but I understand it. And over time, I'll get over it.

2 or 3 of Kuzma,Ingram and Ball all probably gone to dump Deng. Randle probably renounced. Still trading Deng is a tall order. Lakers might be stuck with a big2 for a while. But will one star sign knowing that no second star maybe behind them? Also if LeBron sits and holds out in free agency.

Then wants to be wined and dined and be in the news a couple weeks. Some other scrub teams with lots of cap may try and start stealing guys on the fence like a Randle or a Capela. Then less max cap slots left to eat contracts like a Deng or Anderson,Ariza,Gordon or Gasol/Mills/Green/Gay. Then a big 3 be hard to pull off.

Seems Spurs,Rockets are in a pickle with some contracts to dump. Lakers set for a big 2 if free agents are willing to sign there. But Lakers to have a big 3 will take most if not all their youngsters. Lakers may have to settle for a big 2 and maybe get lucky and deal Deng midseason for a expiring contract. Then try again next year for a big 3.

Yes. San Antonio makes no sense to me. Kawhi is a massive question mark. Parker and Ginobili are fossils. Pop is a fantastic coach, but from a personnel standpoint, Aldridge is probably just about the only thing to get excited about right now if you're a prospective free agent.

If Lebron wants to win, there are better, safer destinations for that. Houston, Boston or Philly would make more sense, and they're all superior media markets to San Antonio.
    They have other up and coming pieces lol, they aren't built around Parker and Ginobili, tho Manu is still pretty effective and awesome in his role.

There's no way he agrees without knowing what's up with Kawhi obviously. But if the assumption that Kawhi is there (recent reports indicate he will be), then that absolutely is an attractive/win now situation.

I think it's highly unlikely anyway tbh.