Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    It's easy to find and poke holes in the character of most celebs these days, but I never found myself able to with Bourdain.

I'm unsurprising flea didn't like him because flea is a miserable idiot. Or perhaps because Bourdain was quite progressive in his ways and flea's little brain starts to misfire when he comes across people like that. I can see people who didn't watch his shows thinking he's arrogant, because they didn't watch his shows.

But the guy was one of the few celebrities that I always felt was genuine. Almost all these celebrity deaths don't really linger with me at all, but Bourdain's has a little. I haven't stumbled across a negative word about from from anyone who knew him over the past week. And that's not surprising. His experiences, his wisdom, his sense of wonder and adventure, and the way he gravitated towards genuine and interesting people is nearly unrivaled. Clearly an empathetic guy who always found the human side where he went. A great modern story teller with impeccable values.

If "he sounded arrogant" is all you can come up with you a) don't have any ammunition and b) had no reason to post in the first place.

Anthony Bourdain whipped ***.
    he was. it's the biggest reason I was a fan. He was all about connecting with people from different cultures and viewpoints, and had a completely open mind. Sure he was a coastal liberal, aren't most celebs? So what? It's not like he spewed nonsense, or tried to force his beliefs, or treated those with different views poorly, quite the opposite actually.

The cooking world is cutthroat, he grew up in it, and was lucky enough to travel the world and meet people from all walks of life. He was always very real with people, which may turn some off, but I loved it.

Cool guy all around.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    It's easy to find and poke holes in the character of most celebs these days, but I never found myself able to with Bourdain.

I'm unsurprising flea didn't like him because flea is a miserable idiot. Or perhaps because Bourdain was quite progressive in his ways and flea's little brain starts to misfire when he comes across people like that. I can see people who didn't watch his shows thinking he's arrogant, because they didn't watch his shows.

But the guy was one of the few celebrities that I always felt was genuine. Almost all these celebrity deaths don't really linger with me at all, but Bourdain's has a little. I haven't stumbled across a negative word about from from anyone who knew him over the past week. And that's not surprising. His experiences, his wisdom, his sense of wonder and adventure, and the way he gravitated towards genuine and interesting people is nearly unrivaled. Clearly an empathetic guy who always found the human side where he went. A great modern story teller with impeccable values.

If "he sounded arrogant" is all you can come up with you a) don't have any ammunition and b) had no reason to post in the first place.

Anthony Bourdain whipped ***.
    All I remember is a boomer's profanity laden travel show where he promotes drug and alcohol abuse. Maybe his CNN show was different but I doubt it. Truthfully I'd just have felt sorry for him if I didn't think what he endorsed had social harm.

Also no ur dumb.

It also doesn't surprise me that ManRam and rhino idolized him so much. I picture both of you as middle aged dudes with weird tats that dress like 18 year olds and drop f bombs like 13 year olds. I guess a guy like Bourdain gives all of us with a touch of arrested Development hope.

I think Man Ram is part of the Peacoat Alliance TBH

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    we actually agree on something. I am not sure where his rep as arrogant ever came from.
    Sooooo.....rough thread to bring this up in, but the first and only show I ever watched of his was him in Iceland (no idea which of his shows it was, and it was years ago). He **** on the Icelandic cuisine and people in a couple parts and then I was kinda done with him. It just seemed arrogant to show up in another country and insult the way of life of an entire people who really only have access and ability to what they're already doing. Seemed like typical American tourist *** hole-ishness.

But over the years, just about everyone that I have a common interest with has raved at how much they love him and the show. Recently I've seen a number of quotes and clips of him that make me realize I probably judged far too soon on way too little.

So......to the hardcore AB fans, imagine someone has never seen an episode of his and wants to get into him now......where should I begin? Which show?

Anthony Bourdain Commits Suicide at Age 61

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    All I remember is a boomer's profanity laden travel show where he promotes drug and alcohol abuse. Maybe his CNN show was different but I doubt it. Truthfully I'd just have felt sorry for him if I didn't think what he endorsed had social harm.

Also no ur dumb.
    Someone left a comment somewhere that he was a contemporary Earnest Hemingway. That’s some kind of hero worship.

The size of his head appears to have been XXL. I can’t look at people with XXL heads without turning away with polite disgust. Yeah, I realize that there are conditions that cause ppl to have large heads. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Sooooo.....rough thread to bring this up in, but the first and only show I ever watched of his was him in Iceland (no idea which of his shows it was, and it was years ago). He **** on the Icelandic cuisine and people in a couple parts and then I was kinda done with him. It just seemed arrogant to show up in another country and insult the way of life of an entire people who really only have access and ability to what they're already doing. Seemed like typical American tourist *** hole-ishness.

But over the years, just about everyone that I have a common interest with has raved at how much they love him and the show. Recently I've seen a number of quotes and clips of him that make me realize I probably judged far too soon on way too little.

So......to the hardcore AB fans, imagine someone has never seen an episode of his and wants to get into him now......where should I begin? Which show?
    I'm in the same boat. I know nothing about him but Hawk and Rhino both liking peaks my interest. His CNN show is on netflixs. Watching the first one drinking my coffee now

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Bigger fan of Travel’s No Reservations, Chefs Tour, and Layover than CNN Parts Unknown.

Only time I disliked Bourdain was being guest judge on Top Chef.

In the first episode he said his book change his career. Is that Kitchen Confidential? Anyone read it? Thoughts?

My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    Bigger fan of Travel’s No Reservations, Chefs Tour, and Layover than CNN Parts Unknown.

Only time I disliked Bourdain was being guest judge on Top Chef.
    Did anyone else ever watch the Taste? It was a reality cooking competition on ABC for a few years that had teams of competitors led by a celebrity chef. Bourdain was one, Samuelson was another. I watched the final season, I quite liked it if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    Never liked this guy, though I used to watch his shows. Something about his personality just seemed unlikable to me. Came off full of himself and just not that interesting of a guy IMO. I don't recall where I read it, but he was not some celebrated master chef or anything like that either, though I don't believe he ever tried to pass himself off as one. Originally, his shows were more food oriented and more watchable for me. Later they became less so, and less so.

I really don't get why people give a rat's *** about what celebrities think or say about ****. Just cuz they got money doesn't make their views and opinions any more salient than the rest of us knuckleheads posting here.
    Who said people cared about his views? No one mentioned anything when you made your post and everyone who posted after said they liked that he was geniune, even if they didn't agree with him.

People watched his show because it was entertaining to them, not because they agreed with his opinion. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I think Man Ram is part of the Peacoat Alliance TBH
    Quite a prestigious group.

The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

People watched his show because it was entertaining to them, not because they agreed with his opinion. Not sure what the fuss is about.
    Watched for the first time yesterday. A show about the Bronx = okay. modestly interesting. A show about New Jersey = omg so boring. The dude nods his head while someone talks and reads narration someone else might have written off camera. Whatevah. #snore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Watched for the first time yesterday. A show about the Bronx = okay. modestly interesting. A show about New Jersey = omg so boring. The dude nods his head while someone talks and reads narration someone else might have written off camera. Whatevah. #snore.
    I find the American episodes boring but when he goes to other countries it is more interesting. If you don't find it entertaining though that's fine. It's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Ppl watch cooking shows? Why? Just give me a recipe book. Don’t understand the celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stfu

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast