Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I was hoping for ettore but I have raised my expectations here. I did not realize Nurse was held in such high regard until now.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

2 weeks ago I hated this idea because it felt like more of the same old stuff would happen, but now I'm happy about it. I'm on the positive side and hoping that his offensive potential will be maximized since he's in charge. The main problem with Casey was in-game tactics tho and maybe Nurse will be better with that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Well Iím going to go ahead and say it. I think Nurse as head coach would be a mistake and hereís why:

1. Heís already our offensive coach. How much can we expect to change ? We would have the same offense with worse defense ?

2. The players are already use to him being here. That could make for a seamless transition but it can also be more of the same that the players are already use to. Usually when you do a coaching change you want a fresh voice the players arenít tuning out.

3. Whatís to point in making a change if that change isnít much of a change at all. Same roster, assistant coach becomes head coach, I expect very similar results to last year. If anything I expect less than 59 wins.. really what would be the point ?

I want Messina because he has a no nonesens kick *** approach and the players we have my need a hard nosed coach to hold them accountable.
    The whole idea of "change" from thing was an excuse to begin with.

Masai said he wanted a better culture and offense last year but knew it would take longer than a year. Casey and Nurse hit a grand slam this year and Masai loved it.

But Masai knew he couldnt keep Casey after this year despite Casey delivering more than what he could have asked for in the timeline that he had. Casey firing was a move to make a move and this hiring just proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8 View Post
    2 weeks ago I hated this idea because it felt like more of the same old stuff would happen, but now I'm happy about it. I'm on the positive side and hoping that his offensive potential will be maximized since he's in charge. The main problem with Casey was in-game tactics tho and maybe Nurse will be better with that.

+1

They were on fire in the regular season. The transitiom didnt happen to the playoffs but that doesnt justify changing it up (again). They have much better luck trying to get the right pieces and strategy so that they can play the same way in the playoffs as in the regukar season as opposed to getting a new system and starting all over again and learning a new process.

I have more hope they can play better in the playoffs with a system theyve had for 2 years than a new system theyll be trying out for the first time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    The whole idea of "change" from thing was an excuse to begin with.

Masai said he wanted a better culture and offense last year but knew it would take longer than a year. Casey and Nurse hit a grand slam this year and Masai loved it.

But Masai knew he couldnt keep Casey after this year despite Casey delivering more than what he could have asked for in the timeline that he had. Casey firing was a move to make a move and this hiring just proves it.
    It's fine if your beef is that Masai is cutting his nose to spite his face with this hire (I felt that a few weeks ago) , but how can u say this when u were saying a few posts before that Nurse and Casey are different enough that they shouldn't be tethered to one another?

Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    I think we have to split this in to regular season and playoffs. They did well in the regular season. But DC struggled in the playoffs. So the culture change only happened during the regular season. I agree that Nurse shouldn't be simply dismissed because of how DC fared as a head coach. My concern is whether the players will respond any differently to Nurse. My hope is they do make some changes in the players. I don't see much changing with the same guys playing in the playoffs.
    They need to refine their games but I think that is better than changing it up.

Worst case I like the idea of nurse on a rebuilding team

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    +1

They were on fire in the regular season. The transitiom didnt happen to the playoffs but that doesnt justify changing it up (again). They have much better luck trying to get the right pieces and strategy so that they can play the same way in the playoffs as in the regukar season as opposed to getting a new system and starting all over again and learning a new process.

I have more hope they can play better in the playoffs with a system theyve had for 2 years than a new system theyll be trying out for the first time next year.
    Yea but i think ppl are overreacting about the offensive strategy. The offense was good relative to the talent. My problem with Casey was playoff rotations and game management.

I was hoping for Messina. Hopefully Nurse isn't afraid to have a fresh approach. Being able to learn under Casey for a few years while inheriting a group he is familiar with and has lots of young players is a nice place to start an NBA coaching career. I certainly hope he finds success.

exactly how i feel as well, except for me it was more feeling like it was pretty unfair for Casey to take the fall. but like you, 2 weeks later and i'm feeling pretty optimistic, primarily because i'm spending a fair bit more time looking into his resume and reading articles from more than a year ago listing him as one of the top up and coming HC prospects and stuff like that. what i have never done, ever, is bought into the idea that somehow what has happened under Casey is in any way a reflection on Nurse. to me that's ridiculous.

tbh i'm not even sure when the "needing a new voice" narrative was inserted, and by whom. clearly it was about playoff failures and strategy. nobody improves their teams win totals for like 7 years straight and at the apex says "we need a new voice here, i think they've tuned him out". think about how dumb that sounds.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 06-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

It's fine if your beef is that Masai is cutting his nose to spite his face with this hire (I felt that a few weeks ago) , but how can u say this when u were saying a few posts before that Nurse and Casey are different enough that they shouldn't be tethered to one another?

Sorry, to clarify, I mean people wanting change as in meaning new system, culture, etc, which is what most likely happens with an external coach.

Nurse is different than Casey but he will still build on what we have I assume considering Masai loved the progress and admitted its more than a year.

I see this as Masai saying we arent changing what we have built but Casey wasnt the right guy to take that next step and Nurse will be a better captain to steer in the same direction (whereas a new coach would presumably steer a different direction).
    Last edited by Raps08-09 Champ; 06-12-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Anticlimactic but great move by Masai. People will finally realize how much of an anchor Casey was. Just like how fans mysteriously gave up their collar fetishes and primo cravings five years ago. It's baffling how little respect and credit was given to Nurse over the years. Stack got so much hype for HC even though he was nothing bu a glorified puppet for Nurse.

^^^ Burner account?

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    ^^^ Burner account?

Lol.
    Lol for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    tbh i'm not even sure when the "needing a new voice" narrative was inserted, and by whom. clearly it was about playoff failures and strategy. nobody improves their teams win totals for like 7 years straight and at the apex says "we need a new voice here, i think they've tuned him out". think about how dumb that sounds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF8wEVWdp5k

Seventeen seconds into the press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    ^^^ Burner account?

Lol.
    Lol! Totally .

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast