Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    According to Lewenberg, Nurse and Casey didn't end on great terms.
    Can you elaborate on this? What does it mean? Tbh that's a good thing if it was basketball related and not just some personal spat.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc.:32390796
    Can you elaborate on this? What does it mean? Tbh that's a good thing if it was basketball related and not just some personal spat.
    He didn't go into any details. His tweet was a response to someone wondering if Nurse could join Casey in Detroit.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I would assume it would be something along the lines of Nurse having to answer to a guy who wasn't very good at X & O's, which is his bread and butter. I can see the frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by pulzar View Post
    The thing is, that's your opinion -- that firing Casey was a mistake. I doubt that Masai feels that way. His though process should be "I fired Casey because I feel that we need a change. Nurse does not bring enough of that change."

It's not doubling down on a mistake if you actually follow through on your plan.
    Whether Casey firing was a mistake or not is only something that we can look back at in a few years -- and even then it'll be hard to tell.
    Feels like a bad reason to me. There isn't anything about Casey this year that we didn't know last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before that.

The idea of lumping them together is shortsighted anyway. Nick and Casey are so different from each other that it would be unfair to hold back Nick just because you want to move on from Casey (regardless if it was the right call or not to fire him to begin with). I know I would run my dept a hell of a lot different if they fired my manager right now and promoted me.

And it'd definitely be doubling down on your mistake because he isn't following through with his plan to begin with. His plan was for a culture change and wanted a better flowing offense and admitted it would be a long process.

The coaches hit it out of the park. Casey provided the culture change and Nurse provided the revamped offense. Yet after 1 year, he already fired Casey. He'd be throwing away exactly what he planned for (and got) if he also didn't consider Nurse just because he's not different enough from what they had this year despite the fact that Masai got exactly what he wanted this year while knowing it would take longer than a year.

He sat next to and advised, for 5 years, the guy who brought us some of the worst Xs and Os that I can remember.

He's a big believer in some big ticket items that I'm fully on board with -- less mid-range jumpers, more 3s and layups, using analytics to understand what a good shot is and what a bad one is.... but he's also a proponent of the "read and react" philosophy, where you just let the players loose to figure out what is the best play. And I've seen that crash and burn so many times, because... let's face it, we don't have guys like Lebron on our team, who can actually read a situation and make the right decision.

Our set plays are terrible, the few that we have. In playoffs, they are completely ineffective. I don't have any confidence that we'll see any change in that area with Nurse at the helm.
    That's not any different from what people are hoping with Messina. They're hoping for some Spurs magic to rub off, which would also require guys to read a situation and make the right decision.

Nurse seems like a Pop guy too.

The whole idea of signing nurse as lead assistant was that he is so incredibly different than Casey and his strengths are Casey's weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Feels like a bad reason to me. There isn't anything about Casey this year that we didn't know last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before that.

The idea of lumping them together is shortsighted anyway. Nick and Casey are so different from each other that it would be unfair to hold back Nick just because you want to move on from Casey (regardless if it was the right call or not to fire him to begin with). I know I would run my dept a hell of a lot different if they fired my manager right now and promoted me.

And it'd definitely be doubling down on your mistake because he isn't following through with his plan to begin with. His plan was for a culture change and wanted a better flowing offense and admitted it would be a long process.

The coaches hit it out of the park. Casey provided the culture change and Nurse provided the revamped offense. Yet after 1 year, he already fired Casey. He'd be throwing away exactly what he planned for (and got) if he also didn't consider Nurse just because he's not different enough from what they had this year despite the fact that Masai got exactly what he wanted this year while knowing it would take longer than a year.
    I think we have to split this in to regular season and playoffs. They did well in the regular season. But DC struggled in the playoffs. So the culture change only happened during the regular season. I agree that Nurse shouldn't be simply dismissed because of how DC fared as a head coach. My concern is whether the players will respond any differently to Nurse. My hope is they do make some changes in the players. I don't see much changing with the same guys playing in the playoffs.

Well I’m going to go ahead and say it. I think Nurse as head coach would be a mistake and here’s why:

1. He’s already our offensive coach. How much can we expect to change ? We would have the same offense with worse defense ?

2. The players are already use to him being here. That could make for a seamless transition but it can also be more of the same that the players are already use to. Usually when you do a coaching change you want a fresh voice the players aren’t tuning out.

3. What’s to point in making a change if that change isn’t much of a change at all. Same roster, assistant coach becomes head coach, I expect very similar results to last year. If anything I expect less than 59 wins.. really what would be the point ?

I want Messina because he has a no nonesens kick *** approach and the players we have my need a hard nosed coach to hold them accountable.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 06-12-2018 at 11:10 AM.

So looks like Nurse it is. Going to be interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Well I’m going to go ahead and say it. I think Nurse as head coach would be a mistake and here’s why:

1. He’s already our offensive coach. How much can we expect to change ? We would have the same offense with worse defense ?

2. The players are already use to him being here. That could make for a seamless transition but it can also be more of the same that the players are already use to. Usually when you do a coaching change you want a fresh voice the players aren’t tuning out.

3. What’s to point in making a change if that change isn’t much of a change at all. Same roster, assistant coach becomes head coach, I expect very similar results to last year. If anything I expect less than 59 wins.. really what would be the point ?

I want Messina because he has a no nonesens kick *** approach and the players we have my need a hard nosed coach to hold them accountable.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    So looks like Nurse it is. Going to be interesting times.
    Disappointing.

I'm going to go with an explanation that DC was holding Nurse's great ideas down for years, and Masai, Lowry, and Demar couldn't take it any longer and Masai decided to let Nurse loose. That's the only scenario where I'm ok with this.

Disappointing.

I'm going to go with an explanation that DC was holding Nurse's great ideas down for years, and Masai, Lowry, and Demar couldn't take it any longer and Masai decided to let Nurse loose. That's the only scenario where I'm ok with this.
    I fully expected raptors to make a status quo move like this. They never venture in to anything outside the box. Always playing it safe. Let's hope this move pans out.

Disappointing.

Very disappointing

Raptors fans are not happy. There will be a lot of pressure on Nurse next season.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

The Raptors didn't exactly have great out of timeout plays last season. There were a couple play calls in the Cavs series that really stuck out as baffling.

How much was Nurse involved in those play calls?

I guess we don't know but they looked very lost in the Cavs series. You can tell they were desperate for answers. The defense was soft and the ball moving offense was completely abandoned in games 2, 3 and 4. That does not reflect well on the entire staff.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast