Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Trout

Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    Movements die when the come to resemble what they came to replace.

The Sabr folk who came of age during the moneyball era resemble the old school twits they replaced in everway. You've all spent so much time in your bubble that you see the slightest deviation as a personal insult.

You don't read what I actually say, which is the case here, but what you want me to be saying to fit your narrative.

I didn't compare Puig and Trout. I compared other athletes from the LA market and how much publicity they got, which isn't a perfect point. It was similar in the other thread. Instead of dealing with what I'm saying, you revert to childhood.

In your own bubble, it's not a bad look. Outside it, you look ridiculous.
    The irony.

Here's a suggestion. Read what I say. I explicitly told you I was not arguing a point and was only fixing what I thought to be a typo in kj's post. I was no longer involved in the discussion.

But please, continue to lecture me on my childish ways and my manipulation of your words to fit my narrative.

Pretty sure I'm not the one that looks ridiculous. That would be you.

3 out of 4 times on base tonight with 2 more runs scored... that is now 33 of 41 with 8 outs recorded in 41 at bats. Insanity.

I was being sarcastic in both my posts.

I donít care if theyíre in the same market Puig doesnít belong in the same tier/breath/convo as those nba legends mentioned. Sure he gets pub but thatís more because of his antics over his talent.

The greats in baseball just canít compare to the greats in most other sports in their notoriety. Itís just not an apt comparison to even try and make.

Theyíll be underrated in that sense until marketing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Mike Trout hasn't won a player of the week since July of 2015?

That's the most Mike Trout statement ever.

He has 3 player of the week awards, and should probably have 5 MVP's lol

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    3 out of 4 times on base tonight with 2 more runs scored... that is now 33 of 41 with 8 outs recorded in 41 at bats. Insanity.
    And the Angels are 3-6 in those 9 games lol

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I was being sarcastic in both my posts.

I donít care if theyíre in the same market Puig doesnít belong in the same tier/breath/convo as those nba legends mentioned. Sure he gets pub but thatís more because of his antics over his talent.

The greats in baseball just canít compare to the greats in most other sports in their notoriety. Itís just not an apt comparison to even try and make.

Theyíll be underrated in that sense until marketing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because of their antics, exactly. As was mentioned by someone else, Trout doesn't want the attention. Thus, the discrepancy in marketability.

You can't admit he avoids the camera, and then out of the other corner of your mouth whine about him being underrated.

That was my only point.

Because of their antics, exactly. As was mentioned by someone else, Trout doesn't want the attention. Thus, the discrepancy in marketability.

You can't admit he avoids the camera, and then out of the other corner of your mouth whine about him being underrated.

That was my only point.
    You think NBA stars' primary reason for fame is their antics or their skills?

My point is that baseball, in general, you aren't going to have the fame/recognition regardless of your antics. Harper is probably the best superstar that also has antics and he still isn't crazy marketable compared to your average NBA superstar.

It's the sport more than it is the player. Trout wanting to be in the lime light is irrelevant because even if he was, he wouldn't get rated/recognized nearly as much as stars in the NBA and NFL.

I'm not whining, I'm explaining to you that he's underrated as a great player regardless of his marketability as an individual. It's because of the marketing of Baseball that'll make him always underrated in the eyes of fame.

Now, if we start seeing other baseball players starting to get the recognition as other sports' greats, than maybe we can put the blame of his fame on Trout. But until that happens, it's more on the sport than it is the individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    You think NBA stars' primary reason for fame is their antics or their skills?

My point is that baseball, in general, you aren't going to have the fame/recognition regardless of your antics. Harper is probably the best superstar that also has antics and he still isn't crazy marketable compared to your average NBA superstar.

It's the sport more than it is the player. Trout wanting to be in the lime light is irrelevant because even if he was, he wouldn't get rated/recognized nearly as much as stars in the NBA and NFL.

I'm not whining, I'm explaining to you that he's underrated as a great player regardless of his marketability as an individual. It's because of the marketing of Baseball that'll make him always underrated in the eyes of fame.

Now, if we start seeing other baseball players starting to get the recognition as other sports' greats, than maybe we can put the blame of his fame on Trout. But until that happens, it's more on the sport than it is the individual.
    In any sport, marketability is determined by a large number of factors at once, and a lot of it is intangible, having an "it" in regards to connecting with people. Skills, antics, and much, much more goes into it.

I agree that baseball players are harder to market, but given Trout's off-the-charts performance, it should be easier than it is. The fact that, as has been pointed out, he doesn't seek or want the attention has a lot to do with why he isn't as famous as his performance would suggest. It's not that he's getting screwed in some way. He just doesn't try, and I don't blame him.

I see no real argument that this causes him to be "underrated" in some way. He's known as the best player on the planet. He's not underrated. He's just not known very well, and that's mostly his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    And the Angels are 3-6 in those 9 games lol
    Not sure if you are implying he doesn't do enough or the rest of his team are bozos? Imagine if he was in the Red Sox, Yankee or Astros line up. Would he suddenly not be good any longer. I don't care if they go .500, he is still the best player of the past 3 decades, and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    There are some very vocal talking heads who believe that MLB should market their stars like the NBA has done, which is probably what drew the comparison.
    I'm gonna be honest, I didn't even read the full conversation, I just jumped in and saw the first thing I could argue lmao. But let's be real here, the MLB does just that, but they don't reach as many people. They market Ohtani and Trout so much and have already put Ohtani on a pedestal that he doesn't belong on. On the "Top 100 Right Now", they placed Ohtani at 100 before he even stepped on an MLB baseball field. It's a little embarrassing how they've turned Ohtani into their next poster child before he even earned it, which many MLB fans would've preferred more than him just given his fame. I'm rooting for him all the way, but I want him to earn his stripes, and MLB thinks that happened when he signed.

Movements die when the come to resemble what they came to replace.

The Sabr folk who came of age during the moneyball era resemble the old school twits they replaced in everway. You've all spent so much time in your bubble that you see the slightest deviation as a personal insult.

You don't read what I actually say, which is the case here, but what you want me to be saying to fit your narrative.

I didn't compare Puig and Trout. I compared other athletes from the LA market and how much publicity they got, which isn't a perfect point. It was similar in the other thread. Instead of dealing with what I'm saying, you revert to childhood.

In your own bubble, it's not a bad look. Outside it, you look ridiculous.
    I get what you're saying and I completely accept that the LA market is one of the most marketable ones no matter what sport you play, and baseball has been one ever since the move to LA. But baseball doesn't produce the superstars that the NBA does, as Trae Young received more coverage upon being drafted than Albert Pujols did when he hit homer number 600, and only one is going into their respective sports Hall of Fame right now.

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, but I'm not saying it's 100% right. Baseball is seen as the dying sport, and it sucks for us baseball fans. You listed all Lakers above, and that was what I can't get with. If you mixed it up and listed past players for different sports and different teams in LA, not just the most marketable team of all time. That's like saying the Dallas market is a great market, but only listing Cowboy greats instead of some Mav greats. Not trying to argue, just a little curious.

I saw something Trout has 1,126 hits through his first 1,000 games. That's sick

Quote Originally Posted by NYYStanton27 View Post
    I saw something Trout has 1,126 hits through his first 1,000 games. That's sick
    and 638 walks.

He has averaged reaching base 1.8 times per game throughout his career.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Not sure if you are implying he doesn't do enough or the rest of his team are bozos? Imagine if he was in the Red Sox, Yankee or Astros line up. Would he suddenly not be good any longer. I don't care if they go .500, he is still the best player of the past 3 decades, and counting.
    Two intents. One, it's such a team game that no matter how incredible one individual is, they don't impact the teams overall game enough. And two, that the Angels just aren't very good. Trout has been wasted for a lot of his time so far.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Honestly mike trout should win his what 3rd mvp? How many should he really have though? My god what a season. He has recorded 7 outs in his last 37 at bats.
    According to my research, team placement in the standings had a huge impact on MVP winners.

From 1931-2016 68.6% of all MVP winners were from teams who won their division/league.

86.6% of all MVP winners were from teams 2 place or higher in their division/league.

Here are more stats regarding MVP winners.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...409&styleid=80
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 06-24-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast