Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...th-la.amp.html

Iím always flattered when a good player has the Rockets on their wishlist but I want no parts of him right now.

Thanks but no thanks
    Morey is a really crazy GM and i am not so sure that he will not follow this idea and considering to trade capela to arrive at the king! there are some high risk things to do but Morey never gives up a deal if he think it is a possibile good deal so i would not suprise at all if our starting five in the next season opening night will be cp3, harden, james, moute, jordan!

There were a lot of rumors before the season started that DeAndre Jordan could sign with the Rockets for 2018-2019, but that was before Capela's continued development.

I also don't mind whatever Ariza does. He's at the stage of his career, or at least entering it, where he can be an older veteran that tags along with a Championship contending team for cheap. He's already won a ring, proved himself as a player, so if he wants to sign somewhere to win more or if he likes the area, whatever. He's earned that respect at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    There were a lot of rumors before the season started that DeAndre Jordan could sign with the Rockets for 2018-2019, but that was before Capela's continued development.

I also don't mind whatever Ariza does. He's at the stage of his career, or at least entering it, where he can be an older veteran that tags along with a Championship contending team for cheap. He's already won a ring, proved himself as a player, so if he wants to sign somewhere to win more or if he likes the area, whatever. He's earned that respect at this point.
    Not to the Warriors though! He could of had NBA championship in 2015 & this year if it wasnít for the Warriors. Thatís kinda like a KD move to a lesser extent.

Them having a solid rotation player of ours make them more prepared to defeat us. Our playbook isnít that complex but come on man.

Quote Originally Posted by fabiosky13 View Post
    Morey is a really crazy GM and i am not so sure that he will not follow this idea and considering to trade capela to arrive at the king! there are some high risk things to do but Morey never gives up a deal if he think it is a possibile good deal so i would not suprise at all if our starting five in the next season opening night will be cp3, harden, james, moute, jordan!
    Capela is better than DJ though. Athleticism, strength, and a bigger name is the only thing DJ has over Capela. Capela is better than him in every other category.

Jordan would be a very solid backup plan if Capela ultimately can't be re-signed or Morey feels like Capela being gone would help him snag Lebron or PG. But if you can get Lebron or PG without losing Capela, why would you?

On the Ariza front, I would be incredibly bummed to see him bail on Houston to play for Golden State. But as Driven said, he's earned that if it's what he ultimately feels would be best for his career. My thought on it, though, is... why? He's already won one title as a key contributor, and he's not a star player whose career would be altered by additional titles. So what would be the benefit of playing for Golden State unless he just wants a change and there are other reasons that would draw him to the Warriors?

If ultimately this team needs to look a little different next season to get Lebron or even a LOT different, then I'm board with losing guys like Ariza and Capela. But I hope it doesn't come to that, and if Morey can't get Lebron, then I want all of these key guys back next season.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    Capela is better than DJ though. Athleticism, strength, and a bigger name is the only thing DJ has over Capela. Capela is better than him in every other category.
    Right. But feasibly there could be a scenario where losing Capela would help them get Lebron. Like what if Capela signed an offer sheet with a team and the Rockets pulled off a sign and trade to get an additional draft pick for a sign and trade with Cleveland? Or if Tillman isn't willing to pay the luxury tax for Harden, Paul, Lebron AND Capela's deals, then they could feasibly let Capela go and get DJ on a cheaper MLE-type deal.

It's not ideal, and I'd obviously prefer to have Clint, but Jordan would be a solid backup plan at center.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

What if........what if.........
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    The Rockets trade Harden for Lebron (basically) straight up? Iím not sure Harden is going to be the guy to lead the Rockets to the Finals past this Warriors team. I bet Morey has at least thought about it. Part of me thinks itís a non-issue and the other part of me sees that between his playoff decline and the chance to get Lebron (probably the only way to get Lebron), then maybe? And Gilbert will be all about so maybe the Rockets get a little extra out of it?

CP3/???
    Gordon/Green
    LBJ/Ariza
    Tucker/Anderson
    Capela/Nene

Still can maybe have Luc, Qi, Onaku, Black (depending on vet min contracts for Luc and Black and Ariza?) Maybe they can use the MLE on a backup PG like Cory Joseph? Rondo? Van Vleet? Tyreke frigginí Evans (for the vet min prove it contract)?

This will not happen so never mind.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 06-10-2018 at 04:06 AM.

The rockets seem loyal to the players. If they werenít, they could just not re-sign Paul to make room for lebron.

Iíd take lebron over every player in the nba for sure, but itís not realistic to think theyíd trade harden. Even though I have the same concerns as you, harden is still the guy that took the team from where it was when he joined to where it is today. Heís still The mvp. While he hasnít led the rockets through the playoffs heís still a great asset

Hardens contract is also very team friendly next year at 30 mil. Although Iím guessing the rockets will try to extend him before the season regardless
    Last edited by Driven; 06-10-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    The rockets seem loyal to the players. If they werenít, they could just not re-sign Paul to make room for lebron.

Iíd take lebron over every player in the nba for sure, but itís not realistic to think theyíd trade harden. Even though I have the same concerns as you, harden is still the guy that took the team from where it was when he joined to where it is today. Heís still The mvp. While he hasnít led the rockets through the playoffs heís still a great asset

Hardens contract is also very team friendly next year at 30 mil. Although Iím guessing the rockets will try to extend him before the season regardless
    Harden alreay signed a 4 years extention last summer: 228 millions throught the 2022-23 season (last year contract is a player option...so basically it's a 3+1)
    the new contract will start in 2019!

Right, duh! I completely forgot that he signed that contract prior to last season. Hoops Hype doesn't have it listed so it threw me off. Maybe because it can't be official until the new cap comes out or something.

It'll still likely end up as a decent deal for both sides.

Don't be surprised to see DeAndre Jordan become the Rockets center next season. Especially if Capela is gonna get max money. Jordan want a to be a Rocket BAD and hinted at taking a discount.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    Don't be surprised to see DeAndre Jordan become the Rockets center next season. Especially if Capela is gonna get max money. Jordan want a to be a Rocket BAD and hinted at taking a discount.
    It better be for the MLE if Capela splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    It better be for the MLE if Capela splits.
    Right! Because DJ turns 30 in July, when his athleticism slows down then we will just have ourselves another Dwight Howard. No post moves, very poor FT shooter, and canít make a basket without dunking.

Only thing I will give DJ over Dwight is his willingness to do pick n rolls and better locker room guy.

So of course Iím opposed to replacing him for Capela but if we have no option then I want to bring him in on a very friendly contract.

Hey, guys! Apparently, I didn't take the loss to the Warriors too well, and decided to avoid talking Rockets basketball for a while. But offseason is almost here, and that's always an exciting time.

I have no idea how to organize my many, many toughts, but I'll give it a try.

Chris Paul

As others have stated, Chris Paul should be the top priority. But re-signing him might not even be in question. When Paul turned down $200M from the Clippers to be traded to Houston on a $24M one-year contract, he likely did it with a guarantee from the Rockets that he would be re-signed to a long-term deal a year later.

What is in question is what his new contract will look like. He probably won't take any kind of discount, because of his NBPA presidency, but he could be open to a 4-year deal worth $158M, instead of a 5-year maximum contract of $205M. That's still a massive $47M "paycut". He'll be 38 in 5 years and, although I think he could still be a very productive player at that age (if he stays somewhat healthy), he probably won't be worth over $40M a year. Regardless, he should be re-signed at pretty much any cost. And he will. The Point God is going nowhere.

With that said, Chris Paul will have a $35.35M cap hold until he's re-signed, and that's the number that really impacts the Rockets' offseason plan.

Clint Capela

Capela could command a 4-year deal worth up to $108M, but his cap hold is only $7M, and letting him walk doesn't really help the Rockets getting another player. Re-signing him or not is only a matter of Fertitta being willing or not to pay a steep tax bill the next few years. I'm also inclined to think the Rockets will be able to sign Capela for less than the max. There are two teams that could possibly offer Capela a huge contract: Dallas and Phoenix. And both have two high draft picks with a lot of great centers in this year's class.

By the way, I'm extremely against signing DeAndre Jordan. I don't know why we're even talking about it. He won't take the taxpayer MLE, the Rockets can't afford to sign him for anything more than that, and he's just not a better option than Capela at this point. He's turning 30, and Capela might already be a better player.

LeBron or PG-13

It's super highly unlikely the Rockets operate under the cap during Free Agency. So, signing LeBron James or Paul George outright is probably not an option. With the projected $101M salary cap, the Rockets would have to get rid of everyone (yes, everyone) not named Harden and Paul, including Clint's cap hold, just to open barely enough max room to fit one of those guys (LeBron's salary starting at $35.35M, George at $30.3M). LeBron would actually have to take a discount, when you add the minimum rookie salary charge for every open roster spot. And that's assuming the Rockets actually can dump every contract.

A sign-and-trade deal with Cleveland or OKC is possible, but also unlikely because it would subject Houston to a hard cap, which limits the Rockets' options. The hard cap is $4M above the tax line (projected to be at $123M), so the Rockets would have only about $26M to fill out the rest of the roster. And if they can't get rid of Anderson (obviously even less likely if they move a few assets in a sign-and-trade), this option is off the table.

The "easiest" way for Houston to get either LeBron or PG-13 continues to be a trade before they hit Free Agency. The Chris Paul opt-in and trade route, which has been overly discussed here. A couple of things that make those deals very hard to actually happen:

1. The Cavs need to give up on LeBron before FA even starts, and they need to believe LeBron is ready to leave for a team that actually has cap space to sign him outright. After that, they need to be willing to take whatever the Rockets have to offer. The Cavs can't really absorve a lot of money (huge tax bill for a mediocre team), so it's unlikely they take Anderson's contract or even Tucker and Gordon. They can make it work with Tucker, Gordon and a bunch of smaller contracts -- or Anderson (but that would take assets) -- going to a third team, with picks going to Cleveland. After the Draft, the Rockets can trade their 2019 pick. And their 2021, 2023, 2025...

2. Paul George seems a little more doable, bacause he's obviously a lesser player than LeBron, and OKC could really use a couple of guys like Gordon and Tucker (Gordon and a filler alone could work). The problem here is George accepting such a deal, because he wouldn't make nearly as much as LeBron next season. He would need to accept picking up his $20.7M option, instead of a max somewhere else.

The dream scenario is a trade for LeBron or George, with Anderson, Nene, Onuaku and a pick going to a third team, and two picks, the $5.1M in cash, draft rights to Llull and Hartenstein, second round picks and whatever more garbage the ROckets cn offer to either Cleveland or OKC.

A much more likely scenario (albeit still unlikely) is Gordon and Tucker going a third team or OKC (in a PG trade), with picks and whatever else the Rockets can offer to Cleveland or OKC.

Trevor Ariza, Luc and Green

Ariza is obviously the most expendable of the Rockets main free agents. But that doesn't mean he's easily replaceable. Re-signing Trevor or not depends on how much he commands, and on whether or not they can pull off a deal for LeBron or George. He could be a cap (or, in this case, a tax) casualty, and the Rockets could look to use the MLE to replace him.

Luc and Gerald were signed on 1-year deals, so the Rockets only have Non-Bird rights to re-sign them. That means they can only offer 120% of the minimum. I can definitely see Green settling for another minimum deal to stay with the Rockets, but Luc should command more in the open market, and if the Rockets want to keep him, it will probably take the MLE.

Other Free Agent options

As the Rockets will be operating above the cap, and most likely above the tax line, the Rockets will have only the taxpayer MLE, starting at $5.3M, and topping out at $16.7M over three years. The Rockets don't have their Bi-Annual Exception, as they used it last year on Tarik Black.

Luxury Tax

With all that said, it all comes down to Fertitta and how much he's willing to spend to keep the Rockets contenders in the NBA. Even by only bringing the band back together (Paul and Capela getting max deals, Ariza $10M and Luc the MLE), the Rockets could be looking at a $280M payroll.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Quote Originally Posted by fabiosky13 View Post
    exactly, but i think that there's no comparison between lbj's health and cp3's! of course the king will turn 34 this year and he has at least 2 to 4 seasons to play at a great level (like kobe did before that bad injury)! Pg is probably the best choise for the future of the team: younger, less expansive, easier to land and definitely a better fit.

i think these are speculation: cp3 accepted to take less just to join us...and rockets arrived to 1w from the finals.
    than many sources sayd he started recruting lbj because he wanna win! cp3 is not a stupid, he earned a lot of money in his career till now but he never played an nba finals and he is 33 this year: in your opinion will he pretend a full max contract instead accept a discount if this means have another star player on the roster and increase the possibility to put a ring on his finger?
    i don't know exactly all the terms of an nba contract, but in europe (in sport like football...soccer for the american friends) some teams choose to pay cheaper contracts to the players instead of use him for some sponsor spots and let the sponsor pay him: if this is possibile in nba too, it should be a possibility.
    No, it's not possible. NBA contracts (and the whole Collective Bargain Agreenment) seem complicated, but as a soccer fan myself, they are way simpler than soccer contracts. In the NBA, there's a salary cap, clear rules about salaries, trades and whatever else. NBA teams have to pay the full contract, and there's no way around it.

About CP3 taking a discount, the issue is he is the President of the Players' Union, and he's been advocating for years that players should not take discounts to fit the team's plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    What if........what if.........
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    The Rockets trade Harden for Lebron (basically) straight up? Iím not sure Harden is going to be the guy to lead the Rockets to the Finals past this Warriors team. I bet Morey has at least thought about it. Part of me thinks itís a non-issue and the other part of me sees that between his playoff decline and the chance to get Lebron (probably the only way to get Lebron), then maybe? And Gilbert will be all about so maybe the Rockets get a little extra out of it?

CP3/???
    Gordon/Green
    LBJ/Ariza
    Tucker/Anderson
    Capela/Nene

Still can maybe have Luc, Qi, Onaku, Black (depending on vet min contracts for Luc and Black and Ariza?) Maybe they can use the MLE on a backup PG like Cory Joseph? Rondo? Van Vleet? Tyreke frigginí Evans (for the vet min prove it contract)?

This will not happen so never mind.
    Even if Morey ever considered making such a deal, is that team enough to beat the Warriors next season? How about in two years, when Paul is 34 and LeBron is 35?
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast