Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    i didnt say guys need that kind of experience but a few years in a meaningful role is important and its all team dependent. We have the most coveted GM job in quite sometime during a time that is arguably the most important FA period in the franchises history.
    2018 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
    WE ALL WE NEED. WE ALL WE GOT.

Battier spent the year as the director of basketball development and analytics. Attends the Sloan Conference as a commentator. Often talked about as one of the smartest players and smartest FO people. Heíll be a GM sooner than later.

PROCESSING

i dont doubt he will and im not sure how being a commentator at the Sloan conf has any relevance? Like I said he just finished his first year in a FO im not ready to just hand him the keys here in such a crucial FA period. You're not gonna find a bigger Battier fan than me too going back to his Duke days either

Battier could probably use a bit more experience. But he could very well be the best guy for the job right now anyways. I like what Iím hearing about him here. And experience is not the most important trait in picking the right guy.

What if Battier is the smartest guy on the list? What if he uses the best/innovative methods to scout players and analyze data? What if heís the most player-friendly and the best relationship builder? What if he has the best leadership qualities? What if he works the hardest? What if he surrounds himself with the best talent in the FO?

I would rather have a smart, analytical, player-friendly guy that knows his own limitations in experience, and can lean on/learn from other guys around him, than to pick another guy because he has more experience. Maybe that is Battier, maybe itís not. To not even consider someone because he doesnít have the correct amount experience by your standards is pretty dumb. Itís very narrow minded.

Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    Battier could probably use a bit more experience. But he could very well be the best guy for the job right now anyways. I like what Iím hearing about him here. And experience is not the most important trait in picking the right guy.

What if Battier is the smartest guy on the list? What if he uses the best/innovative methods to scout players and analyze data? What if heís the most player-friendly and the best relationship builder? What if he has the best leadership qualities? What if he works the hardest? What if he surrounds himself with the best talent in the FO?

I would rather have a smart, analytical, player-friendly guy that knows his own limitations in experience, and can lean on/learn from other guys around him, than to pick another guy because he has more experience. Maybe that is Battier, maybe itís not. To not even consider someone because he doesnít have the correct amount experience by your standards is pretty dumb. Itís very narrow minded.
    This.

You also hope he would keep guys like Marc Eversly and Ned Cohen around him, who are guys that have been around this stuff for years. You hope to hire an outsider as an adviser. I rather have the smart guy that hasn't been there and give him support, than to give the guy who's been there and will fall back on old school ideology.

As nice as David Griffin would be because of the LeBron relationship, he also paid JR Smith, Tristain Thompson to contracts you can't move.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    i dont doubt he will and im not sure how being a commentator at the Sloan conf has any relevance? Like I said he just finished his first year in a FO im not ready to just hand him the keys here in such a crucial FA period. You're not gonna find a bigger Battier fan than me too going back to his Duke days either
    A couple of days a year hanging out with and chatting shop with some of the smartest and best GM's in the NBA doesn't have relevance?

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    A couple of days a year hanging out with and chatting shop with some of the smartest and best GM's in the NBA doesn't have relevance?
    I donít know if attending and speaking at a conference for a couple of days a year qualifies him to be a GM. But itís good. Itís definitely good if heís built a strong network with the group there - leading professionals in the field of advanced and innovative data analysis. If you become a GM, hire those people. Use their minds, their data, their programs, etc. Continue pushing the organization to be at the forefront of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    hes the only person to do that? you made it sound like being a commentator was some big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    I donít know if attending and speaking at a conference for a couple of days a year qualifies him to be a GM. But itís good. Itís definitely good if heís built a strong network with the group there - leading professionals in the field of advanced and innovative data analysis. If you become a GM, hire those people. Use their minds, their data, their programs, etc. Continue pushing the organization to be at the forefront of all that.
    Oh no definitely doesn't qualify him, but it certainly helps him in that he's networked and likely asked about how they've worked trades.

PROCESSING

What organization do you own where you can just come out and say i'm not ready to hand Shane Battier the keys to the FO? I know one thing that organization isn't the Philadelphia 76ers lol.

Iíd a stake that we already have a free agency plan in place - at least one regarding the top guys. I believe as was intended when BC was hired that the people under him did the leg work. He was just the face on the deal. That face is now Brett. So, I think just about any deal that happens is one that was already in the works, save for one here or there possibility.

So, Iím confident in saying we would be hiring a gm until well into free agency period.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesKong View Post
    Iíd a stake that we already have a free agency plan in place - at least one regarding the top guys. I believe as was intended when BC was hired that the people under him did the leg work. He was just the face on the deal. That face is now Brett. So, I think just about any deal that happens is one that was already in the works, save for one here or there possibility.

So, Iím confident in saying we would be hiring a gm until well into free agency period.
    How great would it be that this was (part of) the plan since the league basically forced out Hinkie and forced the Colangelo's on them? Undermining the Coangelo's during their tenure in Philly while 'complying' with what the league wanted only to have him ousted prior to the year Lebron is a FA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by philly hammer View Post
    what organization do you own where you can just come out and say i'm not ready to hand shane battier the keys to the fo? I know one thing that organization isn't the philadelphia 76ers lol.
    lol!

lol!
    cool insight, man. well done

did i bang your girl or something?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast