Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Who do you want the new GM to be?

It would be funny in a thumbing their nose at the other NBA owners sense if Hinkie was brought back.

Mike Zarren would be a really interesting pickup from the Celtics.

Brian Wright is supposedly a great judge of talent and the Spurs connection would probably work well for Brown.

Troy Weaver from OKC is also good at picking talent and building a culture.

Please no re-tread GMs (unless it's Hinkie).

Iíd look at spurs and Celtics. I want someone that is young and smart. But I donít know the execs. But I doubt if those guys are available right now. They would have critical knowledge of currents teams summer plans. Doesnít seem like teams would let them go. But I donít know how it works. I think Brett needs to wear his interim gm hat for 2 months. Maybe brand comes up to big league.

I would promote Ned Cohen and bring in Griffin as and advisor to the GM type of role

I bounce back and forth on this about every 5 minutes. The choices are:
    Vet GM - Get the right one in here and you can mend things pretty quickly. The challenge with this play is you basically have the remainder of the front office staying behind and they will be running the draft. They'll also be educating him (the new GM) on what players are, their skills, where they are, and what the cap situation is. Effectively the Vet GM that comes in will be a pitch guy right away. The down side is having little ties to players like Fultz, Covington, Saric, TJ would mea they are all on the block and could be moved in a trade.

First time GM from another team - Pulling someone from a respected front office who hasn't been a GM is another move that can be made. I'm not a fan of this one, because you are taking a guy that's never be in the situation of leading a franchise. So you are not only asking a guy with 0 experience to lead a franchise, but you are asking a guy with no experience to pull the franchise out of this mess. And then the extra bit of just because he's pulled from a respected FO isn't a guarantee that it's going to work.

Promote from within for GM - So this works from that there is continuity with the decision making and with what the FO has as value to the players. You also don't have any major shift in the philosophy of what direction the team is doing. We have a few respected league wide guys in our office. The downside is you have to work extremely hard to convince players that are FA that the burner accounts were isolated to just Colangelo's and that no one else was involved.

Former player becoming a GM - This might be a great choice to make. Shane Battier was up for a few GM spots this year. Players really like him and respect him and he was in the leadership of the NBPA when he played. He's played with some of the biggest starts. He's a very smart guy. Being a player he understands what things players want to hear, what they don't, and how it feels to be on that side of the whole business. Having no ties to the FO or the situation they can easily move past and clean up the situation.

Right now I am landing on an interesting situation:
    ~Hire Shane Battier as GM
    ~Promote Ned Cohen to Lead Assistant GM
    ~Bring in David Griffin as Special Adviser to the GM

That's 3 highly respected guys around the league as the 3 highest roles within the franchise. You got the stability of Ned Cohen remaining a big voice in the room, you got the complete different direction with respect in Battier leading up everything, and then you got the guy who has been in all of this as someone that is helping those previous two go in the right direction.

PROCESSING

Shane Battier is interesting ... he's a really smart analytical guy and there would be instant trust there with the players.

It seems unlikely Griffin comes in for a non-GM role doesn't it?

Promote from within seems like it would be a poison move doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Shane Battier is interesting ... he's a really smart analytical guy and there would be instant trust there with the players.

It seems unlikely Griffin comes in for a non-GM role doesn't it?

Promote from within seems like it would be a poison move doesn't it?
    Battier is a guy picking up steam as soon to move into a bigger role.

I think it's only unlikely if you lock Griffin in with a non-compete. If you asked him to come in as a consultant adviser for Battier, that has no non-compete attached to it, then I think he would be willing to do it. Doesn't have to be around the team daily, but keeps his feet wet so to speak with the inner circle of the NBA.

A promoting from within would be a poison move only (IMO) if they can't prove this was isolated. If they can prove it was isolated to Bryan and his wife, then promoting within can be done, if you do a ton of work to publicly smooth this over.

PROCESSING

Sam Hinkie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane Battier

He checks a few boxes for me.
    1. Young and Intelligent
    2. Analytics guy
    3. Basketball guy
    4. Relationships with players
    5. He'll not crack under the weight of the process. He was very good friends with Hinkie. He's most likely going to embrace the process.
    6. Played with Lebron.

Other than bringing Hinkie back give me Battier. Hinkie consulted with him a few times when he was here. Something tells me he's a genius waiting to be unleashed.

Quote Originally Posted by STRIKERC View Post
    Shane Battier

1. Young and Intelligent
    2. Analytics guy
    3. Basketball guy
    5. He'll not crack under the weight of the process. He was very good friends with Hinkie. He's most likely going to embrace the process.
    6. Played with Lebron.

Other than bringing Hinkie back give me Battier. Hinkie consulted with him a few times when he was here. Something tells me he's a genius waiting to be unleashed.
    Yup, exactly what I think.

PROCESSING

Who do you want the new GM to be?

Iím on board for that. I always liked him as a solid role player in the nba. Also great character.

Quote Originally Posted by STRIKERC View Post
    Shane Battier

1. Young and Intelligent
    2. Analytics guy
    3. Basketball guy
    6. Played with Lebron.

Battier is a VERY smart basketball guy ... going from the analytics guy to GM is a big step. Doing it on a contender is an even bigger step.

I'd love to see him given a chance though.

i love Battier as a bball mind and have little doubt he will make a good FO guy but we cant take the risk with how monumental the next 2 off seasons are. Maybe if we had an experienced advisory or asst GM to work with him but short of that i cant do it.
    2018 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
    EMBRACE. THE. TARGET.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    i love Battier as a bball mind and have little doubt he will make a good FO guy but we cant take the risk with how monumental the next 2 off seasons are. Maybe if we had an experienced advisory or asst GM to work with him but short of that i cant do it.
    Um...Mark Eversley and Ned Cohen are guys that have been around a long time.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    I honestly think Brett Brown at this point has or should have as much of an input/contribution to basketball operations as anybody else in this league. That's why i don't believe it will be a steep learning curve for any incoming GM.

And if i'm not mistaken Shane Battier is currently a member of the Miami heat front office working under Pat Riley. He's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Um...Mark Eversley and Ned Cohen are guys that have been around a long time.
    Yep. These guys have been around for a while.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast