Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are you in Favor of an Automated Strike Zone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Technology is beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Technology is beautiful

So is Baseball without technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    So you prefer stick ball then?

Manfred: Strike Zone Technology Moving Quickly

Bats are made on a lathe (technology) and customized to player preferences using a computer program (technology) - but instead they should grab a dead tree branch off the ground to hit with?

Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

The games not broken. It doesn’t need to be fixed.

Technology is beautiful

Technology isn't beautiful or ugly or bad or good. It just is. What you do with it determines its beauty. What many of us are arguing is that this specific use would significantly detract from the game's aesthetic value. Whether or not you care is up to you. Some do, some don't.

I don't know about others on my side of this argument, but I'd miss pitch framing. That's a great art.

Bats are made on a lathe (technology) and customized to player preferences using a computer program (technology) - but instead they should grab a dead tree branch off the ground to hit with?

"They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    So you prefer stick ball then?
    T-ball FTW...
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    Technology isn't beautiful or ugly or bad or good. It just is. What you do with it determines its beauty. What many of us are arguing is that this specific use would significantly detract from the game's aesthetic value. Whether or not you care is up to you. Some do, some don't.
    Again, where is the aesthetic value of some guy calling a ball when I have technology showing me indisputable evidence that its a strike on my TV? If you put an earpiece in the umps ear and told him the information that everyone watching at home can already see it would only improve the aesthetics of the game because the umps would fade to the background and the human factor of the players would be the only determining factor of the outcome of the game. And it wouldn’t look any different to us.

There have been thousands of changes to the game over the years that were often invisible to the observer or were weird at first but now are part of the fabric.

Get lost.
    Now that's just mean.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Again, where is the aesthetic value of some guy calling a ball when I have technology showing me indisputable evidence that its a strike on my TV? If you put an earpiece in the umps ear and told him the information that everyone watching at home can already see it would only improve the aesthetics of the game because the umps would fade to the background and the human factor of the players would be the only determining factor of the outcome of the game. And it wouldn’t look any different to us.

There have been thousands of changes to the game over the years that were often invisible to the observer or were weird at first but now are part of the fabric.
    The aesthetic value, we believe, is in the ballpark and game configuration as we know it. We value the infallible. We value the sights and sounds as have always been, the same that made the game the stuff of heaven on earth for generations. We value continuity in a rapidly evolving world. We value the ump sitting over the catcher's shoulder, and the interplay between the framing of the catcher's mitt and the umpire's eye. It's part of the magic, and we are cautious to let it go.

This change will be anything but invisible. It is a serious line to be crossed.

A challenge to the proponents: go sit at a sports bar and ask the guy next to you how they would feel about this. Listen to them.

This thread hurts my brain.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast