Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Are you in Favor of an Automated Strike Zone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 66.67%
  • No

    5 33.33%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 207
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    36,612

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    lol

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    The umpires are still there!
    That's true, for now. I think we all recognize that. But eventually? Probably not in the future however, especially if we take this leap.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,560
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    I can't convey the depth of my disagreement. Google has done so, so much to dull and diminish the intelligence of humankind and the experience of being human... I have zero doubt we've gotten dumber with all the automation. Certainly less interesting.

    More accurate is always the goal? How about more meaningful? More joyful? What are you, C-3PO? Do you ever read novels or listen to music? Or is that an inefficient use of your time?

    And you say these things as if they are self-evident... The arrogance! It's just stunning.
    Do you always hyperbole in order to make your points in other facets of life?

    Getting things right more often is certainly the goal. That has nothing to do with the creative arts. No idea why you are going down that rabbit hole.

    It is possible to be more efficient and life to be just as or more joyful/meaningful.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,560
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    That's true, for now. I think we all recognize that. But eventually? Probably not in the future however, especially if we take this leap.
    Why do people keep making this leap?

    The umpires are there to enforce the rules. That's it. That's always been their job. That job isn't rendered useless or obsolete because we make their jobs easier.




    My ideal replay strategy actually includes an additional 5th umpire in the booth. A home plate ump, three base umps, and a booth ump.

    Calls are made in real time like they are now. Players continue and end plays based on those real time calls.

    Balls and strikes are automated by a green and right light around the stadium. And the umpire enforces that called ball or strike, and makes initial calls at the plate.

    If a play is missed, the booth umpire is the one checking replays. He radios to the crew chief that the call was incorrect, and we move along. No need to argue or fight, we got the call right. No need to challenge, or sit around for 4 minutes and managers to strategize when to use their 'challenges'.

    Get the call right, let the play on the field determine the winner and loser, not a guy like Bucknor or Hernandez.


    But even if something made their jobs obsolete, I fail to see why that's such a horrible thing. If the job is unnecessary, than it is unnecessary (though, I doubt we ever get to that point considering their necessity is rule enforcement).

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Do you always hyperbole in order to make your points in other facets of life?

    Getting things right more often is certainly the goal. That has nothing to do with the creative arts. No idea why you are going down that rabbit hole.

    It is possible to be more efficient and life to be just as or more joyful/meaningful.
    I'm sorry my prose style threatens you.

    I go down that rabbit hole because you make assumptions based on your preferences for the rest of us, with your nose held high, and it's pretty gross, if I may say. Not all of us are concerned with hyper fairness, nor with perfect efficiency. In fact, the vast majority find it tedious and joyless. Some of us ENJOY baseball, warts and all, just as it is, and that doesn't make us less of fans. In many ways it makes us more of fans.

    As to your last question, probably for you (because you see a profoundly black-and-white sports world), but probably not for the vast majority. Each sacrifice to your efficiency gods comes at the cost of aesthetic quality. I imagine in your perfect world, baseball runs something like a computer, highly efficient and dull. In most of our world's we love seeing all those humans out there doing human things.
    Last edited by ODB13; 05-31-2018 at 08:01 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Why do people keep making this leap?

    The umpires are there to enforce the rules. That's it. That's always been their job. That job isn't rendered useless or obsolete because we make their jobs easier.




    My ideal replay strategy actually includes an additional 5th umpire in the booth. A home plate ump, three base umps, and a booth ump.

    Calls are made in real time like they are now. Players continue and end plays based on those real time calls.

    Balls and strikes are automated by a green and right light around the stadium. And the umpire enforces that called ball or strike, and makes initial calls at the plate.

    If a play is missed, the booth umpire is the one checking replays. He radios to the crew chief that the call was incorrect, and we move along. No need to argue or fight, we got the call right. No need to challenge, or sit around for 4 minutes and managers to strategize when to use their 'challenges'.

    Get the call right, let the play on the field determine the winner and loser, not a guy like Bucknor or Hernandez.


    But even if something made their jobs obsolete, I fail to see why that's such a horrible thing. If the job is unnecessary, than it is unnecessary (though, I doubt we ever get to that point considering their necessity is rule enforcement).
    It's very clear that you don't understand, because your mind is stubbornly and exclusively analytic, while a lot of us prefer to think in terms of aesthetics and abstractions: beauty, fallibility, drama. You just pretend your way is the only way to view the world, and presume its superiority.
    Last edited by ODB13; 05-31-2018 at 08:00 PM.

  8. 05-31-2018, 08:07 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  9. 05-31-2018, 08:09 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  10. 05-31-2018, 08:25 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  11. 05-31-2018, 08:27 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  12. 05-31-2018, 08:28 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  13. 05-31-2018, 08:29 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  14. 05-31-2018, 08:29 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  15. 05-31-2018, 08:31 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  16. 05-31-2018, 08:32 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  17. 05-31-2018, 08:34 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  18. 05-31-2018, 08:36 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  19. 05-31-2018, 09:19 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  20. 05-31-2018, 09:23 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  21. 05-31-2018, 09:30 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  22. 05-31-2018, 09:31 PM
    Reason
    off topic

  23. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,266
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    If you're talking about my first post, please share my edits with the world.
    I was referring to a different post. That was tame, but edits can be tracked due to insults and infractions have been given in the past for things that were edited (though those were much worse.).

    Just ignore Jeffy. I actually agree with you this time, for the most part.

  24. #39
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I was referring to a different post. That was tame, but edits can be tracked due to insults and infractions have been given in the past for things that were edited (though those were much worse.).

    Just ignore Jeffy. I actually agree with you this time, for the most part.
    Thank you. I took something mildly bad off another, but the first I just made standard edits. It's clear Jeffy never read it, because he assumes I was attacking him.

  25. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    12,726
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    It's very clear that you don't understand, because your mind is stubbornly and exclusively analytic, while a lot of us prefer to think in terms of aesthetics and abstractions: beauty, fallibility, drama. You just pretend your way is the only way to view the world, and presume its superiority.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  26. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    22,406
    Okay, after reading all of that I decided that the posts I deleted added nothing to the discussion and just didn't ever need to be read again by anyone ever.

    ODB, I agree about the pastoral beauty of the incredible game of baseball, and I agree and enjoy the vagaries of having humans make calls on how the play is going. And the fact is that if balls and strikes are automated a significant part of the catchers job, schmoozing the umpire, will be gone and the catcher's position will suddenly no longer be tactical. That said the casual fans have no idea all of that is going on anyhow so while something will be lost, I'm not certain it will make the game worse for the majority.

    Jeffy, I agree that when it comes to balls and strikes we all KNOW what is right and wrong at the moment the ball crosses the plate if the broadcast is using that red square thing so I see the merits of just getting it right every time. I watch tennis and they took the human out of calling the ball in/out and it didn't hurt the game it just cut down on the number of times I had to hear people yelling at the chair, and in baseball there will still be plenty of opportunity for that.

    You two should PLEASE make use of the ignore feature, and both of you should stop making assumptions about the thoughts and motivations of people on the internet. My delete button is infinite, but the patience of the moderators and the other users is not.

    Play nice, or not at all.

  27. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,831
    I like watching an artist paint the corner and then exploit it with precision and cunning. that will take that out, otherwise - sure why not.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  28. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,831
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    I can't convey the depth of my disagreement. Google has done so, so much to dull and diminish the intelligence of humankind and the experience of being human... I have zero doubt we've gotten dumber with all the automation. Certainly less interesting.

    More accurate is always the goal? How about more meaningful? More joyful? What are you, C-3PO? Do you ever read novels or listen to music? Or is that an inefficient use of your time?

    And you say these things as if they are self-evident... The arrogance! It's just stunning.
    yeah, bad bad Google. I feel quite diminished because I haven't struggled to find information in a timely manner, or broke down in tears at the side of the road lost. trust me, frustration will still be found in other areas so don't fret.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  29. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    3,291
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    One of baseball's greatest strength as a national past time is, at the risk of being corny, its beauty.

    Writers and intellectuals have devoted millions and millions of words to describe it, falling short each time. There is something aesthetically perfect about the ballpark and the crowd and the sights and the sounds, the players smacking their gloves, and the greenery and the diamond on a sunny, summer afternoon, and the home-plate umpire peering over the shoulder of the catcher in his mask, and the whole park of people watching for his hand and listening for his call... The drama is so fundamentally, perfectly human, subject to the same fallibility we all are. And there is just something indescribably beautiful about that.

    I fear that in every segment of modern American life we are paving paradise and putting up parking lots.

    More efficient? Yes. More fair? Most assuredly.

    Better?

    I don't know how it could possibly top what we have already: the greatest game man ever devised, played by men.

    We won't know what we've got till it's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    I can't convey the depth of my disagreement. Google has done so, so much to dull and diminish the intelligence of humankind and the experience of being human... I have zero doubt we've gotten dumber with all the automation. Certainly less interesting.

    More accurate is always the goal? How about more meaningful? More joyful? What are you, C-3PO? Do you ever read novels or listen to music? Or is that an inefficient use of your time?

    And you say these things as if they are self-evident... The arrogance! It's just stunning.
    I was going to reply to both posts that quoted my post above. But you did so quite eloquently and with more efficient use of your time and words.

    I agree with Rush that it could be more accurate. But at the risk losing the game's "beauty". And you are correct, baseball's beauty lies in the history, glory, and aesthetics of everything it is, including its imperfections.

    And you're dead on with your Google remarks as well. I absolutely refuse to (knowingly) use it. Making their pockets deeper, one search at a time. And you can add Wikipedia in there as well. The internet is now filled with (wiki)geniuses on every subject and issue thanks to them. Hey, why bother having to actually think if someone/something else can do it for you?

    Let this younger generation have their digitalized world. Let them walk around glued to their phones, avoiding any personal social contact. It's like mankind's greatest achievement is that you can watch ****ing TV on your ****ing phone! Whoa, just how cool is that!!
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

  30. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    12,726
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    I was going to reply to both posts that quoted my post above. But you did so quite eloquently and with more efficient use of your time and words.

    I agree with Rush that it could be more accurate. But at the risk losing the game's "beauty". And you are correct, baseball's beauty lies in the history, glory, and aesthetics of everything it is, including its imperfections.

    And you're dead on with your Google remarks as well. I absolutely refuse to (knowingly) use it. Making their pockets deeper, one search at a time. And you can add Wikipedia in there as well. The internet is now filled with (wiki)geniuses on every subject and issue thanks to them. Hey, why bother having to actually think if someone/something else can do it for you?

    Let this younger generation have their digitalized world. Let them walk around glued to their phones, avoiding any personal social contact. It's like mankind's greatest achievement is that you can watch ****ing TV on your ****ing phone! Whoa, just how cool is that!!
    I'm a millennial (1983), but I have a baby boomer/early Gen-X mentality. When you have parents born during WWII (born 1937 and 1944) and you have siblings born in the 1960's, it rubs off on you.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •