Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are you in Favor of an Automated Strike Zone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    ^^ The Atari-fication of baseball.
    The umpires are still there!

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Maybe we should replace human ballplayers with robots. That way no humans get injured.

It's like people are scared of change and making the game better and more accurate. It will make people happier! There will be even less boneheaded calls made, making the outcome of the game less influenced by human error, which should be seen as a positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    *Sacasm*

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

who will the serial complainers ***** at when they don't like the called strike I wonder. that will be awkward.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

It's like people are scared of change and making the game better and more accurate. It will make people happier! There will be even less boneheaded calls made, making the outcome of the game less influenced by human error, which should be seen as a positive!
    Yeah, that's all working out really well for Google, Uber, Tesla, (and/or whoever) with their auto-driven computerized cars too. Perfection less influence by human error is the premise there too, no... ?

A perfect world without "human error" is a total pipe dream. Not to mention life would be dull and ****ing boring. Just like the game of baseball would be.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

They're still going to be there. They're still needed. Umpires are not going to be removed.

The human element, meaning umpires, make it fun? I don't know about that. We watch and go to games for the love of the game and/or to see our favorite players/teams. The umpires are there to enforce the rules and we don't go to see them. I don't see the fun in that. They also screw up important plays, which happens. This makes the game fairer and more accurate making it a better game and less scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    But how are the umpires making mistakes the human element?

Aren't the 9 players on the field at the time the human element?

I want the players to get the calls they deserve, not based on the mood of some guy.
    both of these post kind of say the same thing, so in one fell swoop:

Does it make it fun in the moment? No. But as a fan, when debating sports and blaming the umps/refs is honestly part of the fun and makes me feel better as a fan when we lose. Best example I can give even if its a different sport. 2014 Cowboys vs GB. Diehard Cowboys fan here. Dez caught it. Refs said he didnt. It pained me knowing deep down that was a catch (different debate for a different time) refs said no. In the moment I was furious and every time someone made fun of me I blamed the refs and get over my loss. Its part of the game and that part is fun to me if that makes sense

I agree I watch sports for the love of the game, the human element is the 9 players on the field. But its also those umps and blown calls that teams have to make up for and show resilanncy and fight. Bad calls go 2 ways for teams. It either inspires the team to say, yea these guys are against us and makes them play that much harder or it cripples a soft mental team. It builds character.

I do not want to see umps make themselves part of the game. I wish umps would get harsher disciplines when they would try to make the game about them and get held more accountable for missed calls but thats a MLB/Umpire Union CBA thing
    Last edited by Rivera; 05-31-2018 at 09:50 AM.

First Sim League Title!

I hate when fans blame loses on umpires....it's always ideal to improve that.

Yeah, that's all working out really well for Google, Uber, Tesla, (and/or whoever) with their auto-driven computerized cars too. Perfection less influence by human error is the premise there too, no... ?

A perfect world without "human error" is a total pipe dream. Not to mention life would be dull and ****ing boring. Just like the game of baseball would be.
    You'll always have some errors, but lessen them is always the goal. Uber is a **** ton better than taking Taxi's. Google has made all of our lives easier and more efficient. Maybe not perfect, but way better. Nobody should be complaining about Tesla's mission.

And life wouldn't be boring. More accurate is always the goal, and it frees you up to focus time and attention to other problems/concerns/missions.

Let's not choose major flaws because the newer technology still has some.

Because a strike zone in a game and a self driving vehicle on streets, highways, and freeways is comparable.

We've had this conversation before and you keep acting as if this will make umpires disappear. STOP. They are still going to be there and are still needed.

We go from talking about the strike zone to the world? Simmer down on the hyperbole, my friend. If we can make the game more accurate and fair with little to no invasiveness, why not do it?

What if the Giants are down by one run with the bases loaded in a full count in a Wild Card Game and a pitch that is off the plate is called a strike and ends the Giants season, when it actually should've been called a ball, the game is tied, and the inning is extended. Of course that's a perfect scenario, but there will be other scenarios where one incorrect called ball or strike could throw off an at bat which could throw off the inning. Would you really want that?

I just cannot understand, for the life of me, why this is such a huge issue. Nobody is advocating for removal of umpires. This will be a tool to help them with their job. They may not like it at first because *CHANGE OMG*, but in the end I think they'll actually like it. I would think it'll lead to less verbal commentary from the fans which I'm sure they'd enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    both of these post kind of say the same thing, so in one fell swoop:

Does it make it fun in the moment? No. But as a fan, when debating sports and blaming the umps/refs is honestly part of the fun and makes me feel better as a fan when we lose. Best example I can give even if its a different sport. 2014 Cowboys vs GB. Diehard Cowboys fan here. Dez caught it. Refs said he didnt. It pained me knowing deep down that was a catch (different debate for a different time) refs said no. In the moment I was furious and every time someone made fun of me I blamed the refs and get over my loss. Its part of the game and that part is fun to me if that makes sense

I agree I watch sports for the love of the game, the human element is the 9 players on the field. But its also those umps and blown calls that teams have to make up for and show resilanncy and fight. Bad calls go 2 ways for teams. It either inspires the team to say, yea these guys are against us and makes them play that much harder or it cripples a soft mental team. It builds character.

I do not want to see umps make themselves part of the game. I wish umps would get harsher disciplines when they would try to make the game about them and get held more accountable for missed calls but thats a MLB/Umpire Union CBA thing
    What would you rather have, the correct call made and your team wins or the referee/umpire botches the call, your team loses, but you get to debate about it for days, months, and years afterward?

It almost seems like you prefer the latter.

Even with an automated strike zone mistakes will be made, but I would guarantee there will significantly less of them, making for a better, fairer outcome of the game

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    *Sacasm*

I know, but still.

What would you rather have, the correct call made and your team wins or the referee/umpires botches the call, your team loses, but you get to debate about it for days, months, and years afterward?

It almost seems like you prefer the latter.

Even with an automated strike zone mistakes will be made, but I would guarantee there will significantly less of them, making for a better, fairer outcome of the game
    I want my team to win always, but part of the fun of sports is still saying something like #Dezcaughit

its different debating on a forum vs in person. on a forum, ref blowing calls is a bad discussion

but when im with friends when we play the we got screwed by the refs card it turns into other colorful fun discussions/debates and thats whats fun about sports

i mean, i still remember the name Jim Joyce because he costed that tigers pitcher (forgot his name) a no hitter

i wouldnt have even remember that no hitter or many others, but that one i remember, because of the human element

did the tigers pitcher get screwed? yes. but life isnt fair and neither is sports and we remember these moments

First Sim League Title!

One of baseball's greatest strength as a national past time is, at the risk of being corny, its beauty.

Writers and intellectuals have devoted millions and millions of words to describe it, falling short each time. There is something aesthetically perfect about the ballpark and the crowd and the sights and the sounds, the players smacking their gloves, and the greenery and the diamond on a sunny, summer afternoon, and the home-plate umpire peering over the shoulder of the catcher in his mask, and the whole park of people watching for his hand and listening for his call... The drama is so fundamentally, perfectly human, subject to the same fallibility we all are. And there is just something indescribably beautiful about that.

I fear that in every segment of modern American life we are paving paradise and putting up parking lots.

More efficient? Yes. More fair? Most assuredly.

Better?

I don't know how it could possibly top what we have already: the greatest game man ever devised, played by men.

We won't know what we've got till it's gone.
    Last edited by ODB13; 05-31-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    You'll always have some errors, but lessen them is always the goal. Uber is a **** ton better than taking Taxi's. Google has made all of our lives easier and more efficient. Maybe not perfect, but way better. Nobody should be complaining about Tesla's mission.

And life wouldn't be boring. More accurate is always the goal, and it frees you up to focus time and attention to other problems/concerns/missions.

Let's not choose major flaws because the newer technology still has some.
    I can't convey the depth of my disagreement. Google has done so, so much to dull and diminish the intelligence of humankind and the experience of being human... I have zero doubt we've gotten dumber with all the automation. Certainly less interesting.

More accurate is always the goal? How about more meaningful? More joyful? What are you, C-3PO? Do you ever read novels or listen to music? Or is that an inefficient use of your time?

And you say these things as if they are self-evident... The arrogance! It's just stunning.
    Last edited by ODB13; 05-31-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast