Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are you in Favor of an Automated Strike Zone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Exactly. The game isnít a test of the umpires skills or a monument to the umps humanity. Itís about the players.
    I thought the game was about fallibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I thought the game was about fallibility?

Of who?

Of who?
    Everyone

I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Everyone

Maybe everyone should participate in the game and itís outcome then.

Maybe everyone should participate in the game and itís outcome then.
    I agree. They should have the innings broken down into 3rds so that the Umps get a chance to be part of the game and then the players can call balls and strikes. If the Umps win, they automatically win the WS.

I don't know about the games that you guys are watching, but the umps are actually getting worse in the Cubs games. It's hard to believe they can even get worse.

Pitches clearly in the zone are called balls. Pitches clearly out of the zone are called strikes. This is going on for both sides. It's just God awful that they are still calling balls and strikes when we have the technology to have the calls made correctly. Mind boggling.

If I didn't know better, I wold think that MLB wants umps to be bad at this part of their job. After all, they've done nothing about it to this point. This change could have been made many years ago and they just sat on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    There are two types of fans here, and only one side is telling the other they aren't valid.

One set values precision and accuracy and hyper-fairness above all; is data driven. The other values the experiential, the abstract, the meta.

In psychology we break these types of thinkers into two distinct categories, which everyone fits into to varying degrees. The first group we label auditory-sequential thinkers. They thrive when information is presented from the bottom up, a "scaffolding" type of education where one piece fits neatly atop the next. The other group we label visual-spatial thinkers. This group thrives when information is administered from the top down, always beginning with the "whole" concept, from which it can break information down to the pieces, often in a more exploratory way. These folks are less concerned with efficiency, and more with what is novel and creative and "true" in a metaphysical sense.

That either group should disparage the other is a failure of understanding the relevant literature, nothing more.
    Hyper-fairness?

I donít think accuracy is defined as hyper-fairness. Technology can be precise and accurate.

Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    idk, im 50/50 on this.

on one hand, awesome they are going to get mostly every call right.

on the other hand, we are removing the human element out of the game. its part of what makes the game fun, at least to me
    I don't know - Arent the players human? That is what I am there to see. Not umps continuously ****ing up balls and strikes. The game experience doesn't have to change. You can still have a home plate ump calling the balls/strikes through a signal sent to his ear piece or an optical light in center field. He would still control the pace of play etc. From a fan perspective nothing would change except for inexplicable strike zone variations.

how about check swing technology too. its just as bad and its always the wrong call.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    how about check swing technology too. its just as bad and its always the wrong call.
    I'd be happy with an automatic defer to the first/third base umpire. The home plate umpire should NEVER make that call. It's beyond stupid that they insist on doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I don't know - Arent the players human? That is what I am there to see.
    Exactly. No one pays to watch umpires ump except maybe their immediate families. The players are the human element fans pay to watch.

Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Hyper-fairness?

I donít think accuracy is defined as hyper-fairness. Technology can be precise and accurate.

It can also dull life to tears and suck the joy out of living.

Do you live in a remote cabin in the woods with no hot water and electricity or something?

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

https://twitter.com/RangersUmp?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Need I say more? Middle aged men cant gauge 95 mph pitches with any semblance of consistency and/or accuracy. They are not trying to suck, they just do.

Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    It can also dull life to tears and suck the joy out of living.
    I find the effect of bad calls by referees and umpires on athletic events to be frustrating

I am that Daddy Cool

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast