Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are you in Favor of an Automated Strike Zone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Manfred: Strike Zone Technology Moving Quickly

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...163044131.html

In an in-depth interview with The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred discussed moving toward a technology-based strike zone rather than an umpire-based one, changing to a tackier baseball, addressing pace-of-play issues and much more.

Manfred says a technology-based strike zone is progressing.
    One of the things that’s been brought up recently is the emergence of technology calling balls and strikes rather than umpires. While Manfred, 59, praised the umpires as “very skilled,” he also acknowledged the rapid advancement of PITCHf/x technology, crediting MLB Executive Vice President of Strategy, Technology and Innovation Chris Marinak and Chief Technology Officer Jason Gaedtke.

The accuracy is way up — way better than what it was a year ago. The technology continues to move… and it actually moved a little faster than I might have thought.

There remains a fundamental question the owners are going to have to address. When you take away the home plate umpire’s control over the strike zone, you take away a principal piece of his authority in terms of managing the whole game. You really need to think carefully about whether you want to make that change.

When asked if he thought umpires would react negatively to the change, Manfred brought up the emergence of instant replay, an aspect that umpires initially “violently opposed” before coming around to it. “We haven’t had a lot of conversations with them on this topic, but I do think there is a serious management-of-the-game issue you’d have to think about with respect to that change.”

Could tackier baseballs be on their way to MLB?
    In an effort to limit the use of foreign substances such as pine tar, sunscreen and rosin on the ball, MLB has discussed introducing a tackier baseball.

Over the long haul, I do think the idea of a baseball that is tackier and eliminates any human variation — whether it’s the way it’s mudded, the use of tar, whatever — would be a positive for the game. We haven’t gotten there in terms of the rest of the performance characteristics of the baseball.

Manfred also discussed the current baseball and its changing properties. The ball over the years has changed aerodynamically, reducing “drag” on the baseball and leading to more home runs. Manfred emphasized “there was no purposeful or known alteration of the baseball” and that the specifications of the baseballs remain within the same range.

MLB’s pace of play is improving.
    Last year, the average MLB game lasted 3:05:11, by far the highest in MLB history. Through Tuesday’s games, that number is down to 3:00:25, back roughly to where it was in 2016. Manfred, who has had improving pace of play at the top of his priority list ever since he became commissioner in January 2015, has been encouraged.

I’m positive about how they’ve gone for two reasons. No. 1, the threshold matter on any rule change is, “Has it been disruptive on the field?” I don’t think either the (changes in) innings breaks or the mound-visit rule has been disruptive on the field. People adjusted. We’ve had some other rules that had a longer period of adjustment. These did not. That’s a positive.

Manfred also added that a strict pitch clock would be a positive development for continuing to lower average game length.

Attendance is down, but Manfred isn’t overly concerned.
    Despite MLB’s lowest average attendance in 15 years, Manfred believes the game is “very healthy.”

Manfred spoke on a few factors as to why he believes the league is in a good spot. He pointed to two terrific postseasons — the Cubs snapping a 108-year streak two years ago and the Astros winning their first ever World Series last year, both in seven games — as a major positive that “has increased the buzz around our game dramatically.” He added that MLB’s advancement in technology has made the game more accessible and that revenue continues to increase.

Furthermore, Manfred dispelled the notion that the league is in trouble because attendance is down. Overall attendance is down 6.7 percent from last year, but Manfred blamed that at least partially on a rainy spring. Still, he acknowledged there’s always room to improve.

[No] institution — no matter how great it is, and I do think our entertainment product is great — can sit still in today’s world. You have to think about ways to continue to grow the ties you have to our existing fans, which really matter to us, and how you make sure the game gets passed on to the next generation with the same kind of passion it has for yours and mine.

Personally, I want it. I want players to get the calls they deserve, not the umpires to get any attention.

At the very least have the home plate ump wear an earpiece that relays the strike/ball determination made by the technology. These guys don’t want to look stupid disagreeing with what everyone at home can see.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Thank ****ing goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    c

idk, im 50/50 on this.

on one hand, awesome they are going to get mostly every call right.

on the other hand, we are removing the human element out of the game. its part of what makes the game fun, at least to me

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    At the very least have the home plate ump wear an earpiece that relays the strike/ball determination made by the technology. These guys don’t want to look stupid disagreeing with what everyone at home can see.
    that's what I'd prefer to see.....let the electronics tell them whether it hit the zone or not, let the umpires go with or against the electronics by what they see, and the league monitors how often umpires go against it

I despise seeing some pitchers get different zones than others and I despise watching umpires emphatically ring up guys on pitches we all know weren't strikes.

While they're at it, figure out something similar to get check swings called more consistently.

I don't want TOO much human element removed, it's part of why I love the game. However it's extremely annoying to watch a 'known' pitcher get a larger zone, even if he's on my team.

How would the technology deal with the differing heights of hitters? put chips in uniforms?
    Last edited by SiteWolf; 05-30-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    idk, im 50/50 on this.

on the other hand, we are removing the human element out of the game. its part of what makes the game fun, at least to me
    They're still going to be there. They're still needed. Umpires are not going to be removed.

The human element, meaning umpires, make it fun? I don't know about that. We watch and go to games for the love of the game and/or to see our favorite players/teams. The umpires are there to enforce the rules and we don't go to see them. I don't see the fun in that. They also screw up important plays, which happens. This makes the game fairer and more accurate making it a better game and less scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    That's what I've been saying. That or give them a hand held remote that buzzes to let them know. Umpires are still needed. The human element is not lost.

idk, im 50/50 on this.

But how are the umpires making mistakes the human element?

Aren't the 9 players on the field at the time the human element?

I want the players to get the calls they deserve, not based on the mood of some guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    that's what I'd prefer to see.....let the electronics tell them whether it hit the zone or not, let the umpires go with or against the electronics by what they see, and the league monitors how often umpires go against it

I despise seeing some pitchers get different zones than others and I despise watching umpires emphatically ring up guys on pitches we all know weren't strikes.

While they're at it, figure out something similar to get check swings called more consistently.

I don't want TOO much human element removed, it's part of why I love the game. However it's extremely annoying to watch a 'known' pitcher get a larger zone, even if he's on my team.

How would the technology deal with the differing heights of hitters? put chips in uniforms?
    I imagine they'd make a circular plane/box that was consistent for every hitter no matter what.

It'd be set, and pitches would fall one side or the other no matter what because the graph would be very thin (so no such thing as an in between pitch).

The only thing it would take away is pitchers building a bigger zone as they go, hitters with great eyes getting the benefit of the doubt, and catchers who excel at framing.

All of which, I'm happy to remove so that it's fair for all players.

idk, im 50/50 on this.

I like the human element of the game too.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I like the human element of the game too.
    I get this but then I also don't. People don't go for the umpires though. They go for the players, team, love of the sport. And the umpires are still going to be there doing their jobs. Umpires aren't going to be removed from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    ^^ The Atari-fication of baseball.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Maybe we should replace human ballplayers with robots. That way no humans get injured.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast