Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    I like your thinking here...but too many ifs. Too hard to predict all of this. This scenario is two years away from possibly happening. If moncada pans out to be a superstar by that time, then you can look to trade Madrigal. If moncada ends up a .240 hitter by that time and not willing to move positions, then yes, you can look to trade him if there is a deal that makes your team better.

Again, all of this is surrounded by too many questions.
    I mean the main question will be answered in the offseason when Machado chooses a team. If we land him then I'm assuming Moncada 3B and Madrigal 2B. The White Sox said they were going to give Madrigal time at 2B/SS and 3B just to see how he plays there in the minors.

I was thinking 2020 might be our year for a push, but with some injuries and with how we are looking right now, I'm thinking 2021 might be more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    I hear the Sox say he can play SS....Ok,name me one player that played 2nd base in college and got moved to SS in the bigs? Its usually the other way around,most guys get moved off SS to 2nd or 3rd or the OF.
    Heard the coach from OSU say he can easily play short, and he has in the past. Also, the only reason he was at 2nd is because they had a better defensive team because nick could play both spots, and their shortstop could only play short. Take that with a grain and of salt, coming from his coach, but itís at least worth looking into some more

I'm sure a guy who is said to be a Gold Glove 2B, with zero errors this year, could easily shift to SS where he has played before.

[QUOTE=dabears34ft;32382752]I'm sure a guy who is said to be a Gold Glove 2B, with zero errors this year, could easily shift to SS where he has played before.[/Q

Short is different as we all know....Range and arm are the biggest thing. Now if he can play SS at the MLB level and that's where the Sox play him.....Then the pick makes sense. As i have stated before the draft started. Hope it works this way.

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    Heard the coach from OSU say he can easily play short, and he has in the past. Also, the only reason he was at 2nd is because they had a better defensive team because nick could play both spots, and their shortstop could only play short. Take that with a grain and of salt, coming from his coach, but itís at least worth looking into some more
    Yes...I heard the same thing..

If anyone is interested in seeing him play, he will be on ESPN 2 at 4pm CT.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    If anyone is interested in seeing him play, he will be on ESPN 2 at 4pm CT.
    Nice...DVR set

and now we hear from Moncada (and consider the timing of this, just after Madrigal is selected as the Sox #1 pick):

"Moncada explained why he felt the trade from the Red Sox was good for him.

"Those are things that happen and happen for a reason. In my case, when I was here, I didn't see a chance to play second base, at least for a decent time," said Moncada, sporting his "YM" T-shirt with a logo he designed. "That was why I was playing third base. Then when the trade happened, it opened up the opportunity to play the position I like to play, second base.

"That was a step forward in my career and my development as a baseball player. That's why I said that the trade was the best for me"
    https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ca...ut/c-280386582

There can be no doubt that Moncada is laying claim to second base. Meanwhile, most if not all scouts have expressed their belief that Madrigal's best position is second base. As per the quote in my earlier post, making Madrigal play SS could only delay his appearance in the majors...and that assumes that he can make all the long throws from short. In the best case scenario (for Moncada) Madrigal comes up to play short...but then Tim Anderson is the odd man out.
    Last edited by garypeters; 06-09-2018 at 01:47 PM.

In which CF will be open for Anderson. Baseball has evolved over the past couple of years with rostering players that can play multiple positions. Itís nice having players that can move around if needed due to pitching matchups or injuries.

We wonít know if Madrigal will pan out at short stop, but they are going to see if he can, as that makes the most sense with no depth at the position in our system. Anderson is also below average defensively there, but who knows, in two years might improve enough that makes Madrigal potential trade bait.
    Last edited by shorvath721; 06-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.

[QUOTE=shorvath721;32387889[I]]In which CF will be open for Anderson. [/I]

Shorvy: I don't think that is clear with Luis Robert, Blake Rutherford and Steele Walker among others in the wings.

Baseball has evolved over the past couple of years with rostering players that can play multiple positions. Itís nice having players that can move around if needed due to pitching matchups or injuries.

You are absolutely right, but Moncada does not seem like he is interested in a platoon system at all. I believe he started objecting to playing third when he was with the BoSox. If we have players that either cannot play certain positions as well as others or simply do not want to, it is pretty hard to force them without some negative consequences. I would have thought that this issue was thought through before the Sox Drafted Madrigal.

In 633 MLB at-bats over parts of three seasons, Moncada is hitting 233. OK, but I don't think that is enough for him to lay claim to any position on the field over a guy that is our first round draft pick and has not even played a game.

If I was Hahn I would tell Renteria and Moncada that Moncada has to start some games at 3B this season and show some flexibility.
    Last edited by garypeters; 06-09-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Thatís hoping that 75-100% of our prospects pan out, which isnít going to happen. Moncada also only has 429 career at bats with a 2.4 WAR. He hasnít even played 3/4 of an MLB season yet. Both him and Anderson deserve to be stuck at one position until someone is good enough in our system to move them off. That doesnít look like itís happening in the next two years.

This season is just "off the rails" bad.....Need to get the 1st pick this time,no September .500 play is in order. The best MLB player on that great Oregon State team is the kid catcher. He will be in the mix for the top pick next year!I would love to get him.

We have a glut of Milb prospects in the outfield. I don't see Anderson being moved to the outfield. 3B maybe.....

White Sox & Redskins Forever

Trying him at 3B seems very reasonable to me as well, he may be better suited for CF though.
    Either way, he's on the hot seat in a few years. Moncada can play 3B as well, albeit he probably doesn't want to...but if madrigal shows up and starts hitting...
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast