Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What exactly are Callaway and Eiland doing here?

Someone please explain. Because I have no idea.

Making the Mets great again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Someone please explain. Because I have no idea.
    Neither do they.

Stealing money

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Stealing money
    Yes. That makes sense.

Coaches are irrelevant ... you can lead a horse to the water but itís up to the horses (pitchers) to drink.

Keeping the pitchers more healthy through presumably using them less. As for performance, talent dictate 95% of results.

You can't make Wheeler, for example, an ace.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Keeping the pitchers more healthy through presumably using them less. As for performance, talent dictate 95% of results.

You can't make Wheeler, for example, an ace.
    I firmly believe they're making Syndergaard worse. Taking him off of his fastball and making him rely on off-speed stuff. The results aren't great, and it's 100% coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I firmly believe they're making Syndergaard worse. Taking him off of his fastball and making him rely on off-speed stuff. The results aren't great, and it's 100% coaching.
    I completely agree with this.

I saw during a MLB tv broadcast that OPS's are up significantly against fastballs the last 2 seasons and that singles are at their lowest levels in quite some time. Players are selling out for more power. Obviously the analytics skew towards less fastball use but in Syndergaards case thats to his detriment because his fastball is his best weapon.

Syndergaard should ditch the 100mph 4seamer and just go with the 97mph 2 seamer. His 4 seamer is straight as a string and hitters like you said are sitting fastball and selling out for more power. Even if hitters arenít hitting that great off of Syndergaard, theyíre fouling off and causing him to throw a lot of pitches.

Couple that with his very short windup, heís not getting much deception. Heís a tall guy so I would imagine that if he took a longer stride and extended himself a little more, his 100mph straight as a string fastball would look 102 moving to both sides of the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Syndergaard should ditch the 100mph 4seamer and just go with the 97mph 2 seamer. His 4 seamer is straight as a string and hitters like you said are sitting fastball and selling out for more power. Even if hitters arenít hitting that great off of Syndergaard, theyíre fouling off and causing him to throw a lot of pitches.

Couple that with his very short windup, heís not getting much deception. Heís a tall guy so I would imagine that if he took a longer stride and extended himself a little more, his 100mph straight as a string fastball would look 102 moving to both sides of the plate.
    Hitters have adjusted to higher velocities and that makes sense because every pitcher coming up now it seems throws 95 mph. And because hitters dont mind striking out at a record rate, small ball has become antiquated among a lot of baseball.

That fastball is still a great weapon but i think he needs to elevate it more, using his 2 seamer and secondaries to set the pitch up.

I saw during a MLB tv broadcast that OPS's are up significantly against fastballs the last 2 seasons and that singles are at their lowest levels in quite some time. Players are selling out for more power. Obviously the analytics skew towards less fastball use but in Syndergaards case thats to his detriment because his fastball is his best weapon.
    Are they up against his fastball, though? The kid throws fire. And he's not the only fastball pitcher in the league. I don't buy for a second that he should be throwing only 52% fastballs. That's just nonsense.

Hitters have adjusted to higher velocities and that makes sense because every pitcher coming up now it seems throws 95 mph. And because hitters dont mind striking out at a record rate, small ball has become antiquated among a lot of baseball.

That fastball is still a great weapon but i think he needs to elevate it more, using his 2 seamer and secondaries to set the pitch up.
    Lesson learned: skilled batters make adjustments when velocity is predictable and sustained be it 92, 95 or 98 mph.

One Solution: Master the change up. It doesn't matter how hard you throw because sustainable effective pitching about disorienting the batters' timing.

Are they up against his fastball, though? The kid throws fire. And he's not the only fastball pitcher in the league. I don't buy for a second that he should be throwing only 52% fastballs. That's just nonsense.
    Obviously there's something there if they are advocating him using his secondaries more.

https://www.fangraphs.com/zonegrid.a...on=all&data=pi

Comparing that to his other pitches, he's seeing batters have better success against his fastball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast