Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 127 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    I see us as a playoff team in 2019/20

And no **** we don't have Steph and Klay, but don't forget Steph was 26 and Klay was 24 when they won a championship. Lavine would be 25 in 2019/20. Lauri will be 22. Dunn will be 25. If we take Mikal he will be 24. DiVencenzo would be 23.

We should be a lot better this year with 2 additional 1st round picks, a healthy Lavine, and full year of starter Dunn, and Lauri coming into his 2nd year. Give those guys and the draft picks a full 2 seasons together in 2018/19 and 2019/20, with 1 playoff appearance, and come 2020/21 they should be able to compete if we add a star Wing or Big depending on which we take with our 7th, and a role player vet PG off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Not really the point I was making.

If we're talking about actually competing for a title, we're a solid 5 years out unless one of these guys takes a gigantic step in the next year or so or the FO lands a Superstar and can build around them very quickly.

Who really cares if they make the Playoffs in a bad conference next year? I suppose there's some value to that, but it likely doesn't matter if they don't ever land a game changing player.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 05-24-2018 at 03:36 PM.

And no **** we don't have Steph and Klay, but don't forget Steph was 26 and Klay was 24 when they won a championship. Lavine would be 25 in 2019/20. Lauri will be 22. Dunn will be 25. If we take Mikal he will be 24. DiVencenzo would be 23.

We should be a lot better this year with 2 additional 1st round picks, a healthy Lavine, and full year of starter Dunn, and Lauri coming into his 2nd year. Give those guys and the draft picks a full 2 seasons together in 2018/19 and 2019/20, with 1 playoff appearance, and come 2020/21 they should be able to compete if we add a star Wing or Big depending on which we take with our 7th, and a role player vet PG off the bench.
    This is how you get stuck because then we have to pay Lavine, then Portia, then Valentine, then dunn, etc....

Could happen, you are right. We could be, but that isn't saying much. The Knicks were on pace to make the playoffs before KP went down so does that mean they are headed in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownbullsBG7 View Post
    This is how you get stuck because then we have to pay Lavine, then Portia, then Valentine, then dunn, etc....
    Iíd trade Valentine and probably Portis when we chase a big name. No way are we paying limited *** Valentine money thatíll cost us

You guys are missing the point. We have the opportunity to build a deep, athletic, defensive and solid shooting team through the draft. We also will have money to chase a big name in over the next 3 summers, likely skipping this summer. You know what making the playoffs does? It entices a FA to come to your team. FAs donít wanna join teams stuck on the fringe or in the lotto. They wanna join a young core full of young exciting lotto picks

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownbullsBG7 View Post
    This team is in a weird spot. I don't really believe there's a cornerstone player on the roster just yet, but Lauri has a chance.

If you start paying all these guys within the next two years, then where are we? Best case, maybe the Joe Johnson/Al Horford era Hawks?

I'm far more concerned about LaVine and Dunn extensions than Portis and Valentine's. If those guys don't become All-star level players then we're essentially capped out without any real chance of improvement.

You guys are missing the point
    I understand your point. I don't agree with it.

We have the opportunity to build a deep, athletic, defensive and solid shooting team through the draft.
    A lot of teams have that opportunity. This isn't something that's unique to just the Chicago Bulls.

It's not exactly commonplace to build a team exclusively through the draft either. That may not be entirely what you mean, but at some point they're going to have to land a Star whether it's in the draft, via trade, or FA. I'm not convinced they have that player yet and who the hell knows if they'll get that player with the 7th pick in this draft.

We also will have money to chase a big name in over the next 3 summers, likely skipping this summer.
    They've had big money to play with 3 times in the last 8 years and have come away with Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, and then Pau Gasol later on. Wake me when they actually land a legitimate Superstar.

That cap space is a fluid situation too. Right now they have a lot to play with, but they also have looming extensions for LaVine and Dunn, potentially Portis, and if the team isn't good in 2 years or some of those guys walk then all the cap space in the world really doesn't matter. Nobody will want to come play for them, just like nobody has wanted to go to the Lakers recently. We also don't know who is for certain going to be available then either. It's nice to think they can land a Kawhi or AD in the future, but I don't know why either would want to come here with the way the roster is currently constructed. There's almost certainly going to be better opportunities for each player within the next 2 years.

You know what making the playoffs does? It entices a FA to come to your team.
    Sure it can. Making the Playoffs has value in a way, but if you never land that game changing player, it really doesn't matter much at all unless your goal is to max out as a 4 seed. It's no different than the position the Bulls were in for a long time before Rose, a short time after his first injury, and in the few years where it was Butler's team.

FAs donít wanna join teams stuck on the fringe or in the lotto. They wanna join a young core full of young exciting lotto picks
    Why are these the only options? The top FA's lately have joined ready made contenders. Durant to GS, CP3 to Houston, Kyrie (though not a FA) forced his way to Boston and then Hayward signed there. That seems like a much more common trend, at least when we're talking about competing for titles, lately. Maybe they can attract some 2nd/3rd tier FA's with this roster, but again, where does that really get you?
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 05-24-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I understand your point. I don't agree with it.

A lot of teams have that opportunity. This isn't something that's unique to just the Chicago Bulls.

It's not exactly commonplace to build a team exclusively through the draft either. That may not be entirely what you mean, but at some point they're going to have to land a Star whether it's in the draft, via trade, or FA. I'm not convinced they have that player yet and who the hell knows if they'll get that player with the 7th pick in this draft.

They've had big money to play with 3 times in the last 8 years and have come away with Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, and then Pau Gasol later on. Wake me when they actually land a legitimate Superstar.

That cap space is a fluid situation too. Right now they have a lot to play with, but they also have looming extensions for LaVine and Dunn, potentially Portis, and if the team isn't good in 2 years or some of those guys walk then all the cap space in the world really doesn't matter. Nobody will want to come play for them, just like nobody has wanted to go to the Lakers recently. We also don't know who is for certain going to be available then either. It's nice to think they can land a Kawhi or AD in the future, but I don't know why either would want to come here with the way the roster is currently constructed. There's almost certainly going to be better opportunities for each player within the next 2 years.

Sure it can. Making the Playoffs has value in a way, but if you never land that game changing player, it really doesn't matter much at all unless your goal is to max out as a 4 seed. It's no different than the position the Bulls were in for a long time before Rose, a short time after his first injury, and in the few years where it was Butler's team.

Why are these the only options? The top FA's lately have joined ready made contenders. Durant to GS, CP3 to Houston, Kyrie (though not a FA) forced his way to Boston and then Hayward signed there. That seems like a much more common trend, at least when we're talking about competing for titles, lately. Maybe they can attract some 2nd/3rd tier FA's with this roster, but again, where does that really get you?
    We can use a guy like Portis and future picks to trade with. Even Denzel is expendable. I agree Iím worried about Lavine. Iíd love a short term deal with him. Im not worried about Dunn. I know value when I see it. Heís only played 3/4ths of a full season and he was a top 3 defensive PG. When he didnít play we were 10 times worse! Just like when Butler missed games we were trash. Those kind of players are extremely important. You canít just slop together a bunch of no defense, offensive gunners and expect to be great. I have no worries about Lauri either. He was damn good in his rookie season. Imagine how he will be with 3 seasons under his belt.

We will have money for a max FA in 20 or 21. The key is getting one the year before Lauriís extension. We can sign a guy the same year we extend Dunn, and go into the tax for Lauri. The Bulls arenít gonna go cheap this time around. They are just being smart at the moment. Not spending big on role players cuz of a thin market is key. We are also going to let the market dictate Lavine which is smart.

I'm less convinced on Dunn. He has a ways to go Offensively. Being a plus defender helps, but you can't be starting a below average PG when this team is ready to take that next step. And you definitely can't be paying him big money.

As for FA, we'll see I guess. Just because they'll have money doesn't mean they're landing anyone of substance. It remains to be seen if this roster is attractive (or close enough to contention) for the FA's that matter (Kawhi, Klay, AD, probably missing a couple here) in the span of 1-2 years. That's a tall order given where they're at right now. They have to hit a HR with this draft (and maybe the 2019 draft) and hope Lauri turns into a Superstar overnight to have a shot at those guys.

Is that possible? Sure. Is it realistic? Ehhhh...probably not. I still think this is more of a 3-5 year rebuild in all likelihood.

If Dunn doesn't take a sizeable step offensively next year then you can't pay him big money. You don't max out Patrick Beverly type PG's. More than anything, I just hope the Bulls have learned from their past mistakes of over valuing their talent. Guys like LaVine, Dunn, Portis should all be on the table. I'm not saying Lauri is untouchable but it probably doesn't make sense to trade him either.

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    If Dunn doesn't take a sizeable step offensively next year then you can't pay him big money. You don't max out Patrick Beverly type PG's. More than anything, I just hope the Bulls have learned from their past mistakes of over valuing their talent. Guys like LaVine, Dunn, Portis should all be on the table. I'm not saying Lauri is untouchable but it probably doesn't make sense to trade him either.
    Donít compare Dunn to Beverly. Iíve been over this numerous times. In Dunnís 1st legit year playing he put up better numbers than Bev ever has. Itís a lazy comparison. Also
    a typical massive under value from our fans in here. Literally better steals, points, assists in his 1st year than Bev has ever had. Itís not even close IMO

We act like Dunn is this finished product. Everyone forgets even Draymokd wasnít good til his 3rd year.

Donít compare Dunn to Beverly. Iíve been over this numerous times. In Dunnís 1st legit year playing he put up better numbers than Bev ever has. Itís a lazy comparison. Also
    a typical massive under value from our fans in here. Literally better steals, points, assists in his 1st year than Bev has ever had. Itís not even close IMO

Stop saying this was dunn's first legit season.... He played in 78 games his rookie year and averaged 17+ minutes a game.... Thats pretty similar to the amount of time on the court this season so lets pump the brakes for a minute. Dunn has potential and next year is a huge year for him but we need to stop overvaluing our players like we've done forever.

Page 4 of 127 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast