Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should the Knicks take if available?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mikal Bridges

13 24.53%
  • Miles Bridges

12 22.64%
  • Collin Sexton/Trae Young

8 15.09%
  • Kevin Knox

10 18.87%
  • Wendell Carter

7 13.21%
  • Zhaire Smith

3 5.66%
Page 5 of 209 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Very awkward, but he's the type of player you bet on...still only 18 also.

If the Knicks were able to get another pick in the 15-20 range, I'd want him, Lonnie Walker, Hutchison, Simons, or Mitchell Robinson. All gambles that can pay off big time IMO.

I wouldn't want the Knicks to pull the trigger at 9, but I wouldn't be surprised if he entered that conversation as it got closer (similar to Mitchell last year).
    I doubt it, Smith is so raw offensively I wouldn’t be surprise if he last in the 20’s.. I don’t mind taking a flyer on him but only with a late 1st. The player that might open eyes is Lonnie Walker.

Not much arc in the shot. That's not goin to cut it in the NBA when there's defense on his face. I'd pass on this dude...

-I now baptized you as Porzingod.

I agree with both of you. It would have to be an additional first round pick. He's too much of a mystery for my liking.

STRENGTHS

Unreal athlete who can get way off the ground in an instant. Frequently comes up with putback dunks and chase-down blocks.

Motor is always running. Crashes the offensive glass like crazy and runs the floor hard in transition.

Surprisingly high feel for the game. Reads the floor quickly and doesn’t commit boneheaded turnovers.

Extremely active screener on offense. Constantly looking for ways to get his teammates open. Has promise as a playmaker off the short roll if teams use him as a roll man.

Will need to expand his handle but is comfortable with the ball in his hands. Very promising as a passer. Can potentially expand to secondary handler.

Late-bloomer who is very young and developed throughout season for Texas Tech. Not 19 until June. Role expanded as the year went on.

Aggressive defender with quick feet and plus length. Can body his man because he is quick enough to stick with him wherever he tries to go.

Incredible defensive versatility. Has defended every sort of player for Texas Tech this season, from Jevon Carter to Mohamed Bamba.

Tough player who battles through screens, fights on switches, attacks contact, and closes out hard.

Promising mechanics on jumper with compact release and up-and-down form. Doesn’t rely on forward momentum.

Flashes of off-dribble shooting in mid-range. Much more comfortable shooting from 17 feet out to three-point line.

Plus first step off the dribble. Attacks horizontally very quickly.

WEAKNESSES

Serious questions surrounding shooting projection. Extremely low three-point attempt rate and shooting around 70% from the free throw line.

Just average size for defending the wing in the NBA. 6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan, listed at 195 pounds. Will need to get stronger.

Still has mental lapses off the ball on defense. Positioning can still get better.

Needs to do a better job of knowing his scouting report. Sticks too hard to non-shooters when he should be helping down.

Slow release on jump shot with some bad misses. Doesn’t project to shoot consistently from NBA range any time soon.

Handle is still fairly rigid without advanced moves off the bounce. Can attack closeouts in straight lines but doesn’t do much to create space for himself.

Little self-creation ability at this stage. Very low efficiency on isolation possessions. How will he add consistent offensive value?

Pretty much a complete unknown coming into the year (#223 in RSCI). Was this season just a flash in the pan?

Will his value diminish in the NBA where there’s less of a difference between his athleticism and that of other players?

BOTTOM LINE

Zhaire Smith came out of nowhere to establish himself as a legitimate NBA prospect over the course of this season thanks to his outlier athleticism and surprising feel for the game. By some advanced metrics, he was one of the 20 or 30 most valuable players in the NCAA, with his tenacious defense and ability to do the little things on offense a key part of Texas Tech’s surprisingly successful season. He faces real questions about his ability to add value on offense without a reliable jump shot or particularly advanced handle, but Smith brings a high floor with his athleticism, feel, and defensive versatility. If his offensive game develops faster than expected, he could emerge as one of the steals of the draft.
    https://www.thestepien.com/zhaire-smith/

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic:32349200
    At the 9th pick, the Knicks will draft a well known named player where nobody will be mad at the pick. Yeah its not top 3 but we are pretty much assured at not drafting a scrub.

I don't even have a preference as to who they draft. We just need to add talent to the roster.
    You are talking as if the Knicks have a good history of drafting near spot #9. We don't. We suck at drafting. Don't count on this pick being anything special. If the player turns out good, then that's great, but no need getting your hopes up. They'd rather keep building that winning culture by winning meaningless games at the end of a season that some people still think actually means something, rather than rebuilding correctly.

But hey, we made that great THJR signing right? What a great move for a team nowhere close to winning. We'll still be a lottery team when his contract is up. Poor decision after poor decision.... Good times.

Zhaire Smith sounds similar to the Mitchell comparisons. If you estimate that other picks at 9th don't hold much more value then Zhaire Smith at 12-20, trading down should be a good option.
    Offense and shots can be teached, look at jaylen brown. Apart from this having someone with no offense beeing in the top20-30 players tier, isn't to shabby. He's also very young.
    `

my homerun is for the knicks to somehow pull a trade off and either get one of the Clips picks and stay at 9 or get both the Clips picks giving up 9, bulls pick and player.

If that nets us Sexton/Knox.............that's my homerun.

Do I think Knox I the most ready best NBA player? No, but I do think he has the most upside of anyone that will be available to us.

Anyone who thinks Sexton is not quick, or can't set up his mates, or anything else, where are you getting this from?

Sexton is the biggest sleeper in the draft if he falls after #10......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJds_8b5vY

Porter, Young, Miles, Knox, Sexton any of this players will be great selection where the knicks are sitting so no need to be confused as long as it's not mikhal Knicks are good to go. Vandy and Zhaire is too much of a risk where the knicks are selecting i don't care if they become next Mitchel.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    my homerun is for the knicks to somehow pull a trade off and either get one of the Clips picks and stay at 9 or get both the Clips picks giving up 9, bulls pick and player.

If that nets us Sexton/Knox.............that's my homerun.

Do I think Knox I the most ready best NBA player? No, but I do think he has the most upside of anyone that will be available to us.

Anyone who thinks Sexton is not quick, or can't set up his mates, or anything else, where are you getting this from?

Sexton is the biggest sleeper in the draft if he falls after #10......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJds_8b5vY
    Sexton has tunnel vision and isn't a great passer. That's the issue I have with him. He'll probably be a good defender, but he reminds me of Rose offensively...and not Rose with the Bulls, Rose with the Knicks.

At the same time, he didn't play with a ton of talent...so maybe his lack of playmaking was more the result of who was around him. Lol but...DSJ, Fultz, and Young didn't have an issue with that and they played on even worse teams.

I see both sides to Sexton. He's athletic, but he's not Westbrook athletic so that comparison is a bit of a slippery slope. It reminds me of when people compared Mudiay to Wall. Mudiay is a good athlete, but he's no where near John Wall as an athlete.
    Last edited by smood999; 05-17-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
    He's pulling a Rubio. Rubio didn't like the teams at the top of the draft and tried to angle his way to NY. It obviously didn't work, but he did stay true to his threat...

I don't think there's any chance he falls that far though. I hope Porter does the same thing because I think he'd have a chance to make it to the Knicks pick.

My guess is Doncic doesn't want to end up in Atlanta.
    Last edited by smood999; 05-17-2018 at 10:54 AM.

I like Sexton as well as Trae young, but with the chest being so barring, I don't like the Knicks spending back to back draft picks on point guards.

I'm only okay with Sexton or Trae is you trade Frank for a lottery pick/first rounder this year and select the wing the Knicks desire

He's pulling a Rubio. Rubio didn't like the teams at the top of the draft and tried to angle his way to NY. It obviously didn't work, but he did stay true to his threat...

I don't think there's any chance he falls that far though. I hope Porter does the same thing because I think he'd have a chance to make it to the Knicks pick.

My guess is Doncic doesn't want to end up in Atlanta.
    Yup, I agree. Would have to include a trade up for the Knicks to have any chance.

Page 5 of 209 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast