Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should the Knicks take if available?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mikal Bridges

13 24.53%
  • Miles Bridges

12 22.64%
  • Collin Sexton/Trae Young

8 15.09%
  • Kevin Knox

10 18.87%
  • Wendell Carter

7 13.21%
  • Zhaire Smith

3 5.66%
Page 102 of 209 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba313 View Post
    https://nyp.st/2JEZvqI

Couldn’t disagree more with Wally here. While I agree we should take Trae if he is on the board as BPA, him seemingly givig up on Frank and dismissing Trey out of hand is ridiculous.

Losing respect for his basketball opinions.
    I don't see Burke as an NBA PG either, unless you're talking 3rd PG on a good team or backup on a bad team.

Frank is a versatile player but probably not a full time PG.

I gotta agree with Wally.. if anything he was overly generous to Mudiay and Burke and not wanting to disrespect them calling them very very good PG's. but in reality Mudiay is horrendous and Burke is average at best in meaningless games.

You can see why he might drop after not playing a year...

I agreed with Wally 100% he's a good analyst and he's played in the league so he has a good idea of what he is talking about. Non of our PG's stuck out but Burke but that was because all the other guys were so bad. I'm not giving up on Half Smokes Frank just yet but this season coming he has to show big time improvement in all phases of his game especially his handles and his shooting. You can't be a lead guard in this league with weak handles that is cause for tons of turn overs especially in the lanes. I truly see him as just a guard not a true 1 or 2 period.

Depending on how his season next years draft he might be expendable. You can't be a plus on defense and a liability on offense not at this stage for him or the Knicks for that matter.

I'm hoping that Fizdale can help Mudiay reach his potential but if not he has to go or relegate him to the end of the bench where Baker is.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    I don't see Burke as an NBA PG either, unless you're talking 3rd PG on a good team or backup on a bad team.

I gotta agree with Wally.. if anything he was overly generous to Mudiay and Burke and not wanting to disrespect them calling them very very good PG's. but in reality Mudiay is horrendous and Burke is average at best in meaningless games.
    You agree with Wally’s basic conclusion that our PG situation is so dire we should reach for Sexton?

The Knicks must have something up there sleeve because why are they looking at Porter again in Chigago? I'm hoping they can trade up and snag Porter. Then make the trade with Denver for Farried and send Lee or Dotson back that way for the 14th pick. Which then they can grab either Knox, Walker, or Zhaire which ever one is still on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Not shocked at either, but personally I think Mikal is more appropriately placed. Part of why I expressed a few weeks ago that picking him would be the only thing I would view as a mistake (and maybe Sexton)...not because of whether he’ll be good or not, but because of his value to a rebuilding team and the Knicks specifically.

Its easy to look at the Spurs and Warriors and say you want that while ignoring what those pieces were put around and what makes some of those players special. He’s a compliment. He’s the finishing touch. He’s not the guy you take to say you’re building around. This is who he was at Nova as well.

I felt like the guys on the podcast from The Athletic have been reading my post because I’ve been pointing out in my arguments that the style of the player differs from the players actually playing that way. You like what Mikal is and the value of the type of player that he represents brings, but what about HIS game specifically? Where does he fall on that spectrum?

As far as Miles, I’m sure the questions have always been what they’ve been. Is he a tweener, what skills will translate, etc.? The concern for me is whether or not these questions are being amplified after his workouts. At the same time he’s only worked out for three teams and I haven’t seen anything about a pro-day.

We get it with Miles, but now that the hype machine is settling down people are getting it with Mikal as well.

Maybe I’m looking too deeply into it, but is it possible the Knicks want people to think they want Mikal and that’s part of the reason they brought in Knox and Miles to go head to head...to determine who they really like if Porter, Young, or Carter aren’t available?
    Idk, I don't think you can force things like that. #9 is not high enough to think you're going to get a player of X amount of scoring ability or whatever IMO, at least not one that doesn't come with major flaws and questions about that ability. But beyond that, I think you simply focus on drafting who you think will be the BPA and that's just a very subjective thing.

For me, it's the player who will be best in the role they project to be in on your team and with the foundation you are building. It's grading it based on the impact they will have on your specific team rather than who would go first in a pickup game or what not. You still do that with a tier mind set, of course, and it looks like that's how they're going about it. They want a wing because they need a wing, but if they view a PG or big as being on another level (Trae or Carter, if either are even there) then they would look at taking him. That makes sense, to me.

Golden State drafted Curry, then Udoh, then Klay. They did have David Lee at the time, but the Knicks have KP, THJ and Frank. Drafting Mikal with the idea that he would be in a Klay type of role is pretty damn close to the same in timing, the way I see it. Next year we can target our "Harrison Barnes" or whatever lol. Barnes was supposed to be a better scorer and more talented than Klay, and to his credit he's a far better ISO scorer than Klay is. He just didn't pan out in the full sense, and Klay became way better than you can hope for at #11.

I like Mikal's game and personality a lot. I love his basketball IQ on both ends, his work ethic and motor, his great shooting touch and smooth high release, his size and length (especially at SG), his ability to make game changing and winning plays on either end but especially defensively down the stretch, his ability to create shots off the ball, his ability to finish with either hand, his overall ultra efficiency, etc. As someone who was and is super high on Frank, it can't be that surprising that I really like Mikal, right? I love ISO scoring as much as the next guy, but I don't view it as a deal maker or breaker if a guy has that skill or not.

I also believe that Mikal will continue to get better and that he can get his on ball skills to a point where it's at least respectable for situational use. I view him being in the Klay Thompson/Gary Harris type mold in terms of their off ball scoring role and multi-positional defender ability, with the same kind of limitations. I would take either of those two on my team without hesitation regardless of their less than ideal rebounding, passing and ability to create off the dribble. I think Mikal will be a good rebounder though, particularly at SG, as he is more athletic than either.

I get it with Miles only because people are questioning whether he can play SF or not, or at least be at his best doing so. I think you can ask plenty of questions about Shai, Sexton, Williams and Walker too though. For Miles I think it simply comes down to whether or not you believe he can be effective starting at SF in the NBA. That is the main thing I have wrestled with him, so I understand it from that angle. I still wouldn't take guys like Sexton, Williams and Walker over him even if I thought he would top out as a combo forward 6th Man, but I really like Miles and am not exactly high on those three.

Haha, I think that's looking to much into it. I think it's possible that how much they like Mikal has maybe been played up too much by reporters over the months though - mainly Ian Begley. Begley himself has always said that some in the organization really like him, it's just that he has said it almost any time the draft has come up for months that it makes it feel like everyone is all in on Mikal. I imagine they are pretty split among the decision makers and scouts, just like we are here. This draft is really tight, just like last year. Last year too, they had the Frank vs Monk division that was almost split down the middle, apparently.
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 06-13-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmaster86 View Post
    Ok, so you didn’t really read what I wrote. IF your top scout, the one who suggested drafting Porzingis and Willy, watched MPJ workouts and says his skill level and IQ projects to be that of a Scottie Pippen, trading frank and #9 would most definitely be a no brainer
    That scout, Clarence Gaines, was also extremely high on Frank. For what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post

You can see why he might drop after not playing a year...
    Everything looks so natural, which is crazy for a guy his size. But he also looks like a low IQ guy too.

https://nyp.st/2JEZvqI

Couldn’t disagree more with Wally here. While I agree we should take Trae if he is on the board as BPA, him seemingly givig up on Frank and dismissing Trey out of hand is ridiculous.

Losing respect for his basketball opinions.
    “Burke was phenomenal, but is he an NBA starter?’’ he said. “I don’t know. I think he’s a very, very capable, very good backup.

“Does Mudiay look like a starter in the NBA? From the sample size we’ve seen in Denver and in New York, when he was handed the keys to the team, it doesn’t look like he is. Ntilikina? Is he a 2 or 1? How much growth is he going to make moving forward? It’s a big question mark. … What I saw was Trey was the most capable hands down. The other guys have potential to grow, but until I see that on the NBA floor, I can’t trust them.”
    While I am very high on Frank, I can't say Wally's analysis is wrong. It doesn't sound like he's given up on them, particularly Frank, just that he is a seeing is believing kind of guy. As a former player who I'm sure saw his fair share of young talented guys come in and fail to get good enough, I can't say I blame him.
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 06-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post

Come on man, Burke was above average in meaningless games...which is why he deserves a chance to earn a starting spot to show what he can do in meaningful games. I'm so confused as to why people sour on Burke.
    I agree Frank is a versatile player but probably not a full time pg...but I'm good to wait for Kyrie next summer.

You agree with Wally’s basic conclusion that our PG situation is so dire we should reach for Sexton?
    IDK about Sexton... but we should draft BPA. So yes I agree there is no PG on this roster that should stop us from drafting who we think is the BPA, and if that's Sexton, then I trust the FO. I also think what Wally was getting at is that PG is such a vital position in today's league and we havent had a good one in a long time. I think that hurts the development of our other guys, not having a legit PG that can create.

If Frank turns into that guy, great, nothing wrong with having two creators at the guard spot. but we need BPA regardless of position, outside of KP's position.

Quote Originally Posted by trueknickfan View Post
    The Knicks must have something up there sleeve because why are they looking at Porter again in Chigago? I'm hoping they can trade up and snag Porter. Then make the trade with Denver for Farried and send Lee or Dotson back that way for the 14th pick. Which then they can grab either Knox, Walker, or Zhaire which ever one is still on the board.
    Dude, that would be legendary status.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    It's still a bit crazy how people want to deal Frank to move up a few spots to get a guy that has dropped because they think that guy will solve all our issues.
    He's 19. He's younger than most guys in the top 10, yet people seem to think he should be packaged and moved for a completely unknown commodity.
    Talk about typical knicks mentality.

"There is something that looks like it might be better than what we have or at worst, shinier. Let's get rid of something with similar potential to get that other shiny bauble.
    Next year, we can do the same thing. The FO was stupid for trading the thing we traded away last season because he is now playing really well for another team and I'm pissed. It's just like the knicks to do that"

How about trading up with another package? Lee, #36 and a protected 2020? I'm just saying.

Instead of giving up on young talent after a year because he wasn't your style of player or didn't fit with the team the way you envisioned, draft a guy at 9 who makes him even better. Maybe Young falls. Maybe we take Bridges or knox
    Maybe we trade back. That would be a novel knicks concept. Trade back and acquire more picks.

I still hope we move Lee. As much as i like him, I think we could get us another first round pick, especially if combined with 36

Jakes new Baseball Card

Lee for Faried + a 2nd rounder makes some sense.

I'm not a huge fan of Faried but he fits a position of need more than Lee at this point and Faried wouldn't be blocking anyone on our roster like Lee is. Same contract essentially. Gives us a chance to take a look at Faried next to KP. He can rebound and is quick enough to cover 4's.

Lee would be solid for DEN, they need some vets.