Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Different scenarios. IT was hurt. IT didn't shut up all season long about wanting a max despite being a player that shouldn't get a max. Ainge was able to trade IT for a huge upgrade.

Kyrie is also hurt but the situation is completely different. I have serious doubts Ainge would even entertain the idea of trading Kyrie unless someone like SAS came to him and was talking about Kawhi (or a similar type player)
    I mean thatís not really what Iím talking about He asked would Ainge really try to trade an injured player...heís done it before. Whatís to stop him from doing it again.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    True but this has less to do with KI and more to do with how Super Star trades work. Teams never get full value for Super Stars.

It's certainly not ideal. But I think it's premature to think KI doesn't have at least 5 more good years in him.

It does, but it's not insurmountable. IT was traded coming of injury and got a great return. Only takes 1 desperate team to make the deal.

In the end, it really just comes down to...You don't trade super stars when you're on the brink of contending. You just don't. You trade players like KI when you're in a situation similar to Toronto where you're good but no avenue to get to great as currently constructed. Then you tear down and collect assets.

Ainge will wait a year. See how KI comes back. See if Rozier can maintain his level of improvement. And in 2019 make a decision.
    Not really. Because then Rozier hits RFA and Kyrie has his player option.

I think your downplaying how hard it is to move him. Remove the superstar part from the equation. 26 year old PG with consistent knee issues whoís missed time due to injury 6 different times to the same knee. Especially when two of those times are knee tendinitis, a fractured knee cap, and now surgery to correct issues from that fracture. Tends to miss time and parts of games with the knee tightening up and becoming sore. Thatís a hard sell. Even harder when itís a guy you could be staking your franchise on.

PROCESSING

Thereís an article on Boston.com (https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...surgery-update) that highlights the history of Kyries knee problems. It started with some unidentified trigger moment the lead to the knee cap breaking. Thatís a problem.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I mean thatís not really what Iím talking about He asked would Ainge really try to trade an injured player...heís done it before. Whatís to stop him from doing it again.
    Right but all players aren't created equally. Would he trade an injured player? Yeah, anyone would. Would he trade an injured Super Star...Not so fast.

City of Champions

We said the same thing with IT and playing hurt and after his sister died. Ainge doesnít care.
    And IT was moved for a player who is better than he. We got people on here saying trade Kyrie for a lottery pick ffs!

Not really. Because then Rozier hits RFA and Kyrie has his player option.

I think your downplaying how hard it is to move him. Remove the superstar part from the equation. 26 year old PG with consistent knee issues whoís missed time due to injury 6 different times to the same knee. Especially when two of those times are knee tendinitis, a fractured knee cap, and now surgery to correct issues from that fracture. Tends to miss time and parts of games with the knee tightening up and becoming sore. Thatís a hard sell. Even harder when itís a guy you could be staking your franchise on.
    Even if they're both Free Agents, Danny has options.

Rozier is an RFA so he can match any offer and keep him. Or S&T. He could S&T Kyrie. He could re-sign both. He could S&T both. Options are still on the table. There's no need to rush this situation and sell low on Kyrie. Wait and see how he comes back and how Rozier continues to progress. Trading either this offseason would be premature...Unless like I said, someone comes in and blows Danny away with an offer.

Danny isn't going to sell for pennies on the dollar to resolve the issue a year early. He'll wait. If someone wants to give him fair value...He'd absolutely consider it.

City of Champions

Keep kyrie far away from the clippers

Thereís an article on Boston.com (https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...surgery-update) that highlights the history of Kyries knee problems. It started with some unidentified trigger moment the lead to the knee cap breaking. Thatís a problem.
    It could be a problem. It could not be. It's premature to say anything right now as I've stated. Danny isn't going to rush to judgment. He will see how Irving returns before selling low on him.

ďThe wire was originally placed as part of the surgical repair of a fractured patella sustained during the 2015 NBA Finals. While removal of the wire should relieve irritation it was causing in Irvingís patellar tendon, the fractured patella has fully healed and Irvingís knee has been found to be completely structurally sound.íí
    - From the article

City of Champions

Thatís not the part that will worry teams. Itís the tendinitis. Almost every time this topic comes up you post a similar quote and donít make a comment on tendinitis, which has very very rarely ended well for basketball players.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    getting a defensive PG that is a better everything except shooter on a team that loves defense/ball movement and has shooters makes no sense?
    no, because the whole point of trading Kyrie is that the C's are ready to have Rozier step up as the full-time starter and they want to take advantage of the fact that Kyrie is a star PG that could net them a star big man that fits in the system or assets that can help them acquire a star big man.

Thatís not the part that will worry teams. Itís the tendinitis. Almost every time this topic comes up you post a similar quote and donít make a comment on tendinitis, which has very very rarely ended well for basketball players.
    My quote was from the article you posted. Haha

Tendinitis it a concern but more long term concern than short term. It will end a players career early. I've never though Kyrie would be one to play into his mid 30's at a high level. But he's still a long ways away from there age wise.

City of Champions

Bucks had Middleton,Brogdon, and a first for Irving before Ainge swooped in and completed the deal. Bucks were front runners till Ainge dangled the Nets pick. Even though like I said then and now #8 is meh. As for now i'd pass on Irving. His bad knee. Meh.

I don't think they should trade Kyrie. Kyrie and Rozier are similar players. Kyrie is just better so he does make this team better. The big question is, what should they do with Hayward. Tatum has played his way into near stardom and it would be ridiculous to put him on the bench next season. Its just as ridiculous to have your highest paid player come off the bench in Hayward. Or do you move Tatum to the PF and have Gordon in as the SF with Morris off the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    I don't think they should trade Kyrie. Kyrie and Rozier are similar players. Kyrie is just better so he does make this team better. The big question is, what should they do with Hayward. Tatum has played his way into near stardom and it would be ridiculous to put him on the bench next season. Its just as ridiculous to have your highest paid player come off the bench in Hayward. Or do you move Tatum to the PF and have Gordon in as the SF with Morris off the bench?
    Yes thatís what you do.

Irving
    Brown
    Heyward
    Tatum
    Horford

If you need the extra beef to start a game Tatum becomes the 6th man and let him feast on bench players.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    There are two ways you can improve. You can replace mediocre players with good players, or good players with great players. We have several mediocre players in the rotation, so the most improvement can be seen quickest by replacing them with good players. The marginal value of Irving over Collison is not worth the salary difference for a small market, former ABA team that loses a percentage of it's TV revenue in perpetuity. And it's not like it'll be a 1 for 1 trade. Indy would be losing multiple rotation players and picks to land Irving. Yes you need 2 all-stars minimum. Irving is not the one I'd get.
    Yeah, I understand that Kyrie would be an imperfect add for IND. But all stars are really tough to find. IND is in the spot where the core is solid. Big picture what's stopping them from competing isn't replacing mediocre players with good or solid ones. The lack of great players is their real detriment. So I think you guys should be in on any all star that comes available regardless of position. You can shuffle the mediocre/good players around. Just like this past offseason where you moved Miles for Joseph. You can always make that type of trade later.

Even an imperfect fit... man, it's just tough to land all stars. Beggers can't be choosers sometimes, ya know. I don't think Ainge will move Kyrie so it's kind of a moot point here but just in general I think IND needs to turn over all the stones trying to get another all star or two.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast