Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team wins this series?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Houston Rockets

1 50.00%
  • Golden State Warriors

1 50.00%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

2018 Playoffs Western Conference Finals: Rockets vs. Warriors

So it's finally here guys (or at least we're close). After all the buildup, we're finally about to see if this Rockets team built to beat or at least contend with the Warriors can actually do what it was constructed to do.

Gun to my head, I'd probably take the Warriors, but the closer we get to the series, the more confidence I'm gaining. The Rockets have done a lot of things well this postseason (like limit turnovers and defend the paint) and they haven't even started hitting their shots yet. If they can maximize the things they did well the first two series and start having games where they're hitting 15-17 of their 3-pointers, they WILL win games in this series.

There's plenty of time to talk about this, but I wanted to at least give us a place to talk this thing out before it begins. What do you guys think the Rockets have to do to win? What chances do you give them? And how important is Game 1?

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Saw this on another forum and thought you guys might enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0-Krjlh_Zmk

If this doesn't get you pumped for the series, I don't know what will.

Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Heart. Rockets in 7.
    Head. Warriors in 6.

Such contrasting styles, despite two very high powered offenses and tough defenses.

Couple keys in these games besides obvious(3 pointers made). GSW turnovers vs how we take car of ball and Eric Gordon. I think when Paul and Harden play well, we can keep up with anyone but when Eric plays well along our big two, we become a different team. He hasn't shot well all playoffs so hoping he can find the shot and join our h.o.f backcourt.

I think we split at home, but key will be to take one in Oracle. I know the idea is to protect home court but I feel we should steal one if they do as well. Ultimately, I think Durant puts them over the top. Also, if Clint can outplay Draymond(not likely) then THAT would be huge. I personally feel Green is like their backbone. If he's not playing well, the whole ship can sink. He does so much other than offense that he completely controls paint, moves ball, and changes tempo. Getting him in foul trouble and frustrated would be key.

Finally, I don't expect to win, but if we did, you guys wouldn't hear the end of me. Warriors fans have become a pompous group and I would love to serve them some humble pie. LeBron did that for us in 2016 but then a snake came back and boosted their overinflated egos again. It would also be nice to hear the entire media throw up on themselves if we were victorious.

Hey guys, I'm back. Just took a little time off to prepare myself for the next couple of weeks. Can't ****ing wait.

HTownBalla nailed it, in my opinion. I actually hope we don't hear the end of you. You rarely post here. And I'd like to hear more of Chris Webber than Reggie Miller tonight, but we'll see.

I'm not sure about Clint outplaying Green, like directly outplaying him, but I do expect him to have a huge input in the series. It's going to very hard for the Warriors to stop Clint on the roll and, defensively, Clint gives the Rockets a huge advantage to switch everything, even against the most lethal perimeter offense the league has ever seen. Curry said something about the Rockets going PnR every single play and, frankly, I expect the same. Why not? Just hope the shooters are ready to knock down their shots.

I've lost a good friend this weekend, gone way before his time, so I'd welcome a win tonight.

Let's do this, guys.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Like previously mentioned Gordon will be key. We have Ariza, Tucker, and Luc to throw at KD but obviously none can stop him. They can bother him more than Jrue haha but won't make a difference. I say let Durant get his and stick to Klay and Curry at the 3 point line. I also think Paul on Curry the whole series would be a mistake. I think they should put Ariza on him to start and let Tucker bang on Durant. If Capela can kill the boards and stick with guys on pick n roll we can punish the Warriors for going small. And Draymond will have to hit the 3 to keep Capela out of the paint, otherwise the Hampton 5 lineup could hurt them. The Warriors are actually shooting pretty bad from 3 and relying on KD 2 pointers, if our shots are falling that's a recipe for disaster against the Rockets. I like our chances but I still don't have complete faith because I can't trust Harden

I said this in the main NBA forum, but these were a few points I made a couple of days ago that I think will be key to the series:

Interior D: Against Utah, Gobert's presence was a huge pain in the *** for Harden. When Gobert was off the floor, Harden could attack at will, and there was no one there to really contest shots. On the flip side, Capela has been the best shot blocker in the playoffs and will definitely be a problem for the Warriors when they try to attack the basket. Who is going to be that guy for Golden State? I'm not sure they have one, and it could give Harden, Paul, Gordon and Capela a lot of good looks around the rim. Advantage: Rockets

Transition D: Lowe's article highlighted this perfectly, but the Rockets just flat out suck at transition defense at times. They cannot stand around and watch missed baskets clank off the rim. They need to fight for the rebound, and everybody away from the ball needs to book it back on defense. If they don't the Warriors will destroy them. The Rockets can do this well on their end, but the Warriors are fare better equipped to handle that scenario defensively. Advantage: Warriors

Pace: Building on that last point, I think Golden State will want to play at a faster pace. They want to be constantly moving and pushing the ball up to get those famous Curry transition 3-pointers. The Rockets CAN play fast, but against Golden State, it behooves them to slow it down a bit. Force the Warriors to beat you in a half-court offensive game, where I think the Rockets have a real edge. Advantage: Warriors in a fast game; Rockets in a slow game.

Turnovers: In slowing down the pace and maximizing their possessions with this supercharged isolation offense this season, the Rockets have really limited their turnovers. In the playoffs, they're averaging an insane -4.6 turnover differential. The Warriors have cut down on their turnovers a bit, but the sheer amount of passing they do and their ball movement naturally is going to lead to more sloppy play. If the Rockets are turning the ball over 4-5 times less per game and getting 4-5 more shot attempts than the Warriors as a result, that's a pretty nice advantage over the course of a series. Advantage: Rockets

Offensive versatility: However, with a slower pace and more dependency on isolation comes less versatility. If Harden and Paul are having off nights and their shooters aren't hitting the open looks that Harden and Paul create for them, then they're going to go into some serious slumps. But the Warriors just have so many ways to beat you offensively. They can survive a bad night from Curry or Durant, and they can quit throwing screens and passes at you and just slow it down with Curry isolation or Durant in the post. Advantage: Warriors

Shooting: This one is too hard to give an edge to, because they're both elite shooting teams in very different ways. Golden State has the elite sharpshooters that force you defend 30 feet from the basket and know where they are at all times. Houston kills you with volume and stacking the floor with as many three-point weapons as possible. Unsurprisingly, the Rockets lead the league in 3-point attempts in the playoffs at nearly 40 a game. But surprisingly, they're shooting a higher percentage (35.3) than the Warriors (32.9). The first trend will continue, but I can't imagine the second one will. Advantage: Rockets in volume; Warriors in efficiency

The final four minutes: This is the point I keep coming back to as being the most important. There will be an ebb and flow to these games, but ultimately I think the games will be too intense and there will be too much back and forth for any one team to consistently get a huge edge on the scoreboard every night. And if the games are close, who wins in the final minutes? I said this in the other thread, but the Rockets have developed a knack for winning tight games in the final minutes because they do a good job maximizing their team's production while limiting their movement on the floor. Their players move the least on the floor of any team in the league, compared to a Warriors team that is constantly running screens on offense and moving the ball around. The Rockets' legs could be more rested for those final minutes. But there's something to be said for experience and having a sense of familiarity in those key moments, and the Warriors have that in spades. Advantage: Rockets in rest; Warriors in experience

X-Factors: For Houston, it's got to be Eric Gordon. When he's on fire, they're unstoppable. In the three games when scored at least 18 points in the playoffs, Houston won all three games by a minimum of 18 points. In the games where he's been a nonfactor or clanked just way too many shots, the Rockets have had to fight a lot more. He brings Steph Curry-esque factor of unguardability 30-feet from the basket.

For Golden State, I've got to think it's Draymond Green. His "jack of all trades" skillset means he'll have to do a little bit of everything for the Warriors. When he gets switched on Harden or Paul away from the basket, how he defends them will be incredibly important, especially with him so far from the rim. He's also going to be matched up against Capela, who has probably 4-5 inches on him, so how is he going to handle those famous Harden/Capela pick and roll alley oops? Then offensively, he'll probably be doing a lot of the ball handling, and the Rockets will be playing those passing lanes, so he has to limit his mistakes. Plus, the Warriors are much more dangerous if he's hitting 3-pointers and has to be guarded away from the basket. So, how Green handles all of these different roles he's going to have to play will be a huge key to the series.

Prediction: This Rockets team was built with the sole purpose of finding a way to beat the Warriors. Last year's team was gimmick; it was "shoot a zillion threes and hope you can make enough to beat anybody." This year, they're taking more threes, but this team is no gimmick. They get 48 minutes of elite point guard play, they maximize their possessions while minimizing their mistakes and (perhaps most importantly) they can switch everything on defense thanks to their squad of interchangeable perimeter defenders and defend at an extremely high level.

The Warriors have top end talent, they have the experience and they have a system that's proven to be elite. But sometimes series come down to matchups and will to win, and I think Houston has done enough with this roster to slow down that historic offense and is hungry enough to will themselves to win those close games in the fourth quarter, just like they did twice against the Warriors in the regular season.

Rockets in 7

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Hey guys, I'm back. Just took a little time off to prepare myself for the next couple of weeks. Can't ****ing wait.

HTownBalla nailed it, in my opinion. I actually hope we don't hear the end of you. You rarely post here. And I'd like to hear more of Chris Webber than Reggie Miller tonight, but we'll see.

I'm not sure about Clint outplaying Green, like directly outplaying him, but I do expect him to have a huge input in the series. It's going to very hard for the Warriors to stop Clint on the roll and, defensively, Clint gives the Rockets a huge advantage to switch everything, even against the most lethal perimeter offense the league has ever seen. Curry said something about the Rockets going PnR every single play and, frankly, I expect the same. Why not? Just hope the shooters are ready to knock down their shots.

I've lost a good friend this weekend, gone way before his time, so I'd welcome a win tonight.

Let's do this, guys.
    I'm really sorry to hear that, man. I hope you're doing OK. Obviously some things are way more important than basketball, but for what it's worth, I hope the Rockets win tonight as well.

Thanks, man. Been a rough couple of days.

But back to bball, I'll read your post at halftime, but that's a monster start by the Rockets. Harden came to play, EG has knocked down his first shot, and Draymond Green has already lost it.

I'm not liking the way this is going right now. Houston needs to make a couple of shots and put the momentum back in their favor. That turnover by Gordon was a killer. And it's frustrating, because the Warriors can't defend the paint, but the Rockets have had wide open layups that they've screwed up now on at least 4-5 possessions.

That first half definitely lived up to the hype.

I don't think there's anyone in the entire NBA I hate as much as Nick Young. He's just not a good basketball player, but he seems to always kill the Rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    That first half definitely lived up to the hype.

I don't think there's anyone in the entire NBA I hate as much as Nick Young. He's just not a good basketball player, but he seems to always kill the Rockets.
    Yeah. After the awful start to that second quarter, they looked damn good down the stretch and made some big plays. But the defensive possession at the end on the wide open Nick Young 3-pointer was definitely ugly. But considering how bad things looked there midway through the second, I'll take a tie game at halftime. Just need to outscore them by one point the rest of the way. I like their odds if Harden can keep this up, but I'd rather see some other guys get going.

Why does Gordon think he has to drive the ball to the basket and then get caught going too fast and make a bad play every time? How is he still getting so much playing time? He and green have been awful tonight.

Not looking good for the rox. Supporting cast not showing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockets with some life after threes by Gordon and green

Mbah a Moute also canít get a shot to fall

2018 Playoffs Western Conference Finals: Rockets vs. Warriors

Disappointing game. No one really stepped up besides harden. I question some of the lineups DíAntoni put out there today.

On the bright side I think Houston just didnít play a good 48 minutes. Theyíll be better next game

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast