Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    I think harrison barnes is nothing more then a guy who is getting shots on a horrific team. -BPM, -RPM, <.1 win shares. now if he can go back to being the Golden State guy then sure, but he is not much more then a 3 and D guy. Tobias Harris is the one guy I wouldn't mind giving a shot over Favors though. Pretty underrated offense, but I just don't know if he can play defense against a team like Houston where he would just get switched onto covering Harden or CP3.

Rotation Prediction

Starters- Rubio, Mitchell, Ingles, Favors, Gobert

6 minutes in- Crowder in for Favors

10 minutes into the first/3rd quarter- Exum in for Rubio and Sefolosha in for Ingles. Lineup: Exum, Mitchell, Crowder, Sefolosha, and Gobert.

Start of the 2nd/4th quarter- Favors in for Gobert, O'neale in for Crowder, Allen in for Mitchell. Lineup: Exum, Allen, O'neale, Sefolosha, and Favors.

5 minutes left in 2nd/4th- Rubio, Mitchell, Ingles, Crowder, and Gobert all in.

The rest of the guys only play if there is an injury. Burks will never beat out Allen or O'neale, except for the 2 games Allen is suspended for fighting after getting drilled in the face. I see Allen not playing in a few games early in the season because of his defense. Quinn likes to send the message that if you can't defend you can't play. If there is an injury I bet we see Udoh or Neto next up. I've heard a few people say Alec could get minutes if teams start switching on defense more but I don't believe it.

Realistic things that could happen that would make us all falsely believe we can win it all: Rubio shoots a better percentage, Favors hits 30% from 3, Mitchell takes another jump, Rudy or Derrek learn how to use their size to score against small ball.

Realistic things that could go wrong and we all start to panic: Exum struggles and we all question his new contract, Sefolosha due to age and injury is never the same, defenses are all over Mitchell daring anyone else to shoot and they can't.

it's not nearly that simple...
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    it's not nearly that simple...
    Thanks for all your insight Chip. We are all now dumber having read your response. Feel free to share your basketball knowledge with us.

I know I am a homer, and I am ok with that. But I listen to enough podcasts to know that experts around the league feel the Jazz can realistically finish number 2 in the west. To be a championship contender, sometimes you need some luck. You stay within striking distance long enough, anything is possible. So if some or all of these things take place, I think the Jazz have a legit shot at a championship this year.

- Rubio's shooting post all-star break is sustainable
    - Donovan improves his scorning efficiency
    - Favors stays healthy and is able to dominate the paint
    - Gobert stays healthy and develops a postup game
    - Exum becomes a 6th man of the year candidate
    - Crowder becomes efficient energy player / enforcer off bench

Golden State is obviously more talented... but if they suffer any injuries... laziness from championship... or locker room turmoil... I think Jazz can beat them in a 7 game series. They have enough wing defenders to throw at them and hoping to see an improvement in scoring this year based on improvements mentioned above.

I am excited about this year and if we do well, I don't think it will surprise anyone, but if these things all come together, then I think it can be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    I know I am a homer, and I am ok with that. But I listen to enough podcasts to know that experts around the league feel the Jazz can realistically finish number 2 in the west. To be a championship contender, sometimes you need some luck. You stay within striking distance long enough, anything is possible. So if some or all of these things take place, I think the Jazz have a legit shot at a championship this year.

- Rubio's shooting post all-star break is sustainable
    - Donovan improves his scorning efficiency
    - Favors stays healthy and is able to dominate the paint
    - Gobert stays healthy and develops a postup game
    - Exum becomes a 6th man of the year candidate
    - Crowder becomes efficient energy player / enforcer off bench

Golden State is obviously more talented... but if they suffer any injuries... laziness from championship... or locker room turmoil... I think Jazz can beat them in a 7 game series. They have enough wing defenders to throw at them and hoping to see an improvement in scoring this year based on improvements mentioned above.

I am excited about this year and if we do well, I don't think it will surprise anyone, but if these things all come together, then I think it can be special.
    I think it is possible that the Jazz finish 2nd but not very likely. Houston is still a better team in my opinion. I get the argument why people think Houston is worse and I agree, but Houston won 65 games last year. They still have Harden, Paul, Capela, Gordon, and Tucker as their core players. Yes Melo Hurts them but the one thing Melo can still do is catch and shoot. Houston's floor is 55 ish wins. 55 wins is probably our ceiling. I'm optimistic and excited for this season but ultimately I think we still finish 3rd or 4th in the loaded West.

I don't think the playoffs were a good indication of how the Jazz match up against the Rockets. I know I am definitely in the minority and last years statistics do not support my thoughts, but I do think this is going to be a different season for the Rockets and I think the Jazz match up better.

Last year Capella dominated Rudy. I do not think Capella is a better player than Rudy and I think that is a match up we would win this year that we lost last year.

I think Chris Paul housed us last year in playoffs, but we were missing our best PG defenders. We are one of the few teams in the league that can throw multiple high quality defenders at both Paul and Harden. In the playoffs, we lost Rubio and Exum so had to defend with players like Neto.

The Rockets are a team that do alot of switching on defense. Last year, we were not very good at attacking defenses like that. If Quinn can help the Jazz get better at scoring vs those defenses, then I think the Jazz will be the Rockets.

I think a pick and roll between Favors and Mitchell could become a really tough combo to stop. Mitchell needs to improve his outside efficiency and Favors needs to be more aggressive, but both players are capable. Exum I think can become a good 1 on 1 player that could score before the defense setup. Outside those players, I think good switching defenses can give us some problems. But Quinn has a full off-season to get the players ready, so I think he will make sure we are ready for it. And if we can score against it, I like our chances for Houston.

agreed on last years playoffs. we didn't have our starting pg and quite frankly our backup PG. plus mitchell should be better and I don't think we will see any regression except maybe for Ingles who is our only guy over 30 and the only thing that would be likely to regress is his ridiculous 3pt shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    agreed on last years playoffs. we didn't have our starting pg and quite frankly our backup PG. plus mitchell should be better and I don't think we will see any regression except maybe for Ingles who is our only guy over 30 and the only thing that would be likely to regress is his ridiculous 3pt shooting.
    Agreed, other then I think his defense could regress as well. He has never been very athletic, so as he gets older, the lack of athleticism could potentially make it difficult for him to play defense to the level he did last year. One way to combat that is play him fewer minutes, which I think we are deep enough to do.

The most exciting thing this year might be that we won't have the anchors that Hood and Joe johnson were last year. only guy who could be that person is Jae Crowder, but he doesn't command the ball like those two did. we have two places we can improve from last years win total. #1 the team plays like it did during that end of the year stretch the whole season now that we don't have as many bad defenders. #2 Donovan, Royce, and/or Exum makes a huge leap. whats going to be tough this year is that just about every west team should be competitive except the kings and suns at this point.

Hood and Johnson were defensive liabilities. Jerebko was also a liabilitiy when it came to playoffs. I think all the players on this team are average to above average defenders, with a few players falling into the elite category. Jazz also have been structuring contracts with team defensive insentives, thus providing even more motivation for our players.

Scoring is where our team has alot of question marks, especially scoring against switching defenses. Also, some of our best players are bigs, so we need to figure out how to keeping bigger lineups on the floor. Alot of teams are going small, and though we have the personell to match them, I think we need to find ways to keep bigs on the floor and force other teams to match us.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    The most exciting thing this year might be that we won't have the anchors that Hood and Joe johnson were last year. only guy who could be that person is Jae Crowder, but he doesn't command the ball like those two did. we have two places we can improve from last years win total. #1 the team plays like it did during that end of the year stretch the whole season now that we don't have as many bad defenders. #2 Donovan, Royce, and/or Exum makes a huge leap. whats going to be tough this year is that just about every west team should be competitive except the kings and suns at this point.

I don't think we are going to be a top ten offense or anything, but I don't think our offense is going to be that bad. Mitchell should be better, Rubio should be more comfortable and everyone knows their role. Honestly Hood and Joe Johnson were just as bad on offense last year as they were on defense. The one guy I really worry about on offense is Jae Crowder. he shot so poorly for us last year. We also need Exum to step up and be our sixth man creating for others when Rubio and Donovan aren't on the floor.

not basketball related, but is anyone in this forum affected by the fires?
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    not basketball related, but is anyone in this forum affected by the fires?
    No, but we just got smacked by Florence. **** is pretty bad around here afterwards. Worst hurricane I've been through in my life.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910