Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Haha, do you want a glowing puck? Jk
    I need see-through players -- like Claude Reigns in "The Invisible Man".

I honestly feel like it would be tainted if the Knights win it all. I really hope they don't. Almost like the championship loses some of its luster.
    I don't see how the championship loses it's luster if Vegas wins it. It's all the other teams in the league that would lose their luster -- because they would have gotten beaten out by an expansion team.

They did such a great job putting together the Golden Knights organization; the only thing they got wrong is the uniforms. Brownish-gray? Try again. (How about gold? They're the Golden Knights!)
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 05-10-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Haha, do you want a glowing puck? Jk

I honestly feel like it would be tainted if the Knights win it all. I really hope they don't. Almost like the championship loses some of its luster.
    Oh dear lord......remember Fox with that ****? ugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grOttsHuuzE

Honestly if you just hang with it it becomes easier to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Just makes historic teams like Montreal and Toronto look bad. Almost why I hope it does happen. And I’m a Habs fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    I don't see how the championship loses it's luster if Vegas wins it. It's all the other teams in the league that would lose their luster -- because they would have gotten beaten out by an expansion team.

They did such a great job putting together the Golden Knights organization; the only thing they got wrong is the uniforms. Brownish-gray? Try again. (How about gold? They're the Golden Knights!)
    Because we've always had the notion that expansion teams are going to be bad for a few years this goes against everything I know about expansion teams. I can agree that it looks bad on 30 other teams for not being better than them and/or beating them to knock them out. It just feels so wrong.

I need see-through players -- like Claude Reigns in "The Invisible Man".
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post

I guess growing up with it helps. I wouldn't even consider myself a hockey fan for the most part, but because I live in Ontario, it's drilled into your head on a daily basis in all of the sports media here. So I agree, the more you watch it, the easier it becomes.

They paid a ton of money so they wouldn’t be the typical expansion team. And it worked.

They paid a ton of money so they wouldn’t be the typical expansion team. And it worked.
    That's not what happened. Teams just didn't manage their assets properly, tried to do deals to protect players.

I mean, ****, Florida gave them Jonathan Marchessault so they would take Rielly Smith's contract... JM put up 75 in 77 and RS put up 60 in 67.

Florida gave them 135 points. Idiots.

Payed not be be a typical expansion team???

Even in December they were being doubted on making the playoffs. Revisionist history.

They are a 100% effort team fully buying into their coaches system, hockey is the greatest team sport.
    Last edited by Ezekial; 05-11-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Just makes historic teams like Montreal and Toronto look bad. Almost why I hope it does happen. And I’m a Habs fan.
    Just happy the Pens aren't going to win again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

It couldn't have been THAT much money. The NHL has a salary cap and revenue sharing like the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post

The comet tail they put on the puck was ridiculous. It's easy to see the puck when it's going across the ice, so it wasn't even necessary. And it still didn't help with seeing it go in the goal, because the blue streak would disappear just before it got to the net.

By the way, other people have said that when the Chicago Blackhawks scored the walk-off (or is it skate-off?) goal to win the Stanley Cup, they didn't see the puck go in the goal and were bummed out by it. But they were Americans from Chicago and didn't yet develop "quick eyes" like hockey fans in Canada.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 05-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.

It couldn't have been THAT much money. The NHL has a salary cap and revenue sharing like the NFL.
    They paid the ****ing expansion fee. No more no less. Seattle will do the same and have less results because teams will be smarter this time around.

No one talked about their price when they were projecting them to be a basement team AFTER the expansion draft.
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    They paid the ****ing expansion fee. No more no less. Seattle will do the same and have less results because teams will be smarter this time around.

No one talked about their price when they were projecting them to be a basement team AFTER the expansion draft.
    So you don’t think they had better options to choose from than previous expansion teams? They paid to jump start it and it worked. Of course nobody was talking about it before the season. Why would they?

Does not take away from the fact that they were players thrown together that never played together before and have done a remarkable job led by their coach. Agree with you there. Never said otherwise.

So you don’t think they had better options to choose from than previous expansion teams? They paid to jump start it and it worked. Of course nobody was talking about it before the season. Why would they?

Does not take away from the fact that they were players thrown together that never played together before and have done a remarkable job led by their coach. Agree with you there. Never said otherwise.
    I don't understand what you mean by paid to jump start. But whatever they payed an expansion fee and picked from a pool of talented players - because the NHL has a lot of them. Florida handed them two amazing players and Neal was a forgotten player that Nashville wouldn't have extended. William Karlsson went from a 6 goal player to a 43 goal player.

Then there's the beast Flower. Flower is an amazing goalie
    Last edited by Ezekial; 05-12-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17

They paid an insanely high expansion fee ($500 million compared to Minny and Columbus paying $80 million) in order to be able to pick former all stars and 30 goal scorers as opposed to nothing but 4th liners previous expansion teams had to choose from.

They paid an insanely high expansion fee ($500 million compared to Minny and Columbus paying $80 million) in order to be able to pick former all stars and 30 goal scorers as opposed to nothing but 4th liners previous expansion teams had to choose from.
    The expansion fee has nothing to do with who they were able to pick for their team. The league and owners know establishing a competitive team quickly generates more revenue for the league and owners. Not only has Vegas been a success on the ice, they also have the highest merchandise sales in the league. And the expansion fee is going to be higher for Seattle. That doesn't mean they get to choose better players because they pay a higher fee. They'll get the same rules as Vegas got.

Also the last time there was an expansion team there was no salary cap. Someone like Neal was available because long term the Predators knew they wouldn't be able to fit him under the cap, so they expose him to the expansion draft.

The Lost Boys of PSD

One of the big things is that most teams come in pairs, so the expansion pool is thinned out by the other team that's drafting. The scary thing is all of the assets they stockpiled for the future too.

It was pretty well known that their chance of success was a lot greater than previous expansion teams based on the draft/protection rules. It’s just that nobody thought they would be this good this quick. But totally known they were going to be a lot more competitive, quicker, than others based on the draft rules. They definitely had an advantage over previous expansion teams. Of course the cap helps. Other gm’s screwing up helps. And no, they didn’t pay that fee to be able to get those players per se but they would have never agreed to pay that price unless they were given the headstart previous teams were not afforded.

The fact that they threw this team together and they played well right off the hop and continued it throughout the season is a credit to the players and a huge credit to Gerard Gallant for getting the most out of them and instilling a “nobody wanted us” attitude.
    Last edited by One Nut Kruk; 05-12-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast