Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 133
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,289

    Should the Raptors blow the team up?

    Should the Baby Dinosaurs like my man Shannon Sharpe refers to the Raptors as...blow their team up? Or keep the same core group of guys that they know they cannot win with? I say if you realistically want to compete not just in the East but potentially in the whole NBA is you gotta lure big names to come to Toronto. However, Toronto has no cap space. There lies the issue.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    17,007
    They likely reach the Finals if Bron isn't their opponent. I'd consider trading DeRozan and gauge the market but I don't think this team can compete vs a strong Celtics team and a Philly squad growing in the future. But let's face it: They were never going to beat the Warriors anyways. Rockets? Maybe but I doubt it honestly. It's not as bad as other franchises but the end result will be the same: Not every team will contend for the championship.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sin City Raiders
    Posts
    33,784
    Yes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    They likely reach the Finals if Bron isn't their opponent. I'd consider trading DeRozan and gauge the market but I don't think this team can compete vs a strong Celtics team and a Philly squad growing in the future. But let's face it: They were never going to beat the Warriors anyways. Rockets? Maybe but I doubt it honestly. It's not as bad as other franchises but the end result will be the same: Not every team will contend for the championship.
    That is true but #1 seed and you be going out to Bron again 2 years in a row in the 2nd round. No excuses and no exceptions time to blow up the team.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Bay
    Posts
    13,209
    Yes and they should have done it sooner.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Yes and they should have done it sooner.
    Damn right they should have but they just don't have what it takes to beat Bron...not to mention my Celtics if we are healthy and at full strength we are a title contender same with the Sixers who are one big name away from competing in the East

    Raptors don't have enough pieces to compete

    PERIOD.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    29,679
    I'm very torn on this. I think the likelihood that Toronto is going to win a championship with the core players as constructed is very low. However, this is undoubtedly the best team the Raptors has every had in the franchise's history, and they're not so far from contention that they couldn't feasibly have gotten into the finals this season if they had played a little better in this series.

    And if Lebron were to move teams or suddenly dropoff productivity-wise, they're probably the second most complete team in the East aside from a Boston team with a healthy Kyrie and Hayward (which we've yet to see).

    Gun to my head, I don't think it's realistic for the Raptors to win a championship with this core, but I don't think they should blow it up either. They're too talented and have had too much success in recent years to blow it up for the unknown. The likelihood that they would be back here with a team this talented in the next 5-10 years is really, really low. And you never know in the NBA. A young guy could make a jump in his progression or they could make a small signing that could put this team over the top. Or there could be injuries or changes to the rest of the East that suddenly puts the Raptors in the Finals next season. They're too close, IMO, to just blow it all up at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'm very torn on this. I think the likelihood that Toronto is going to win a championship with the core players as constructed is very low. However, this is undoubtedly the best team the Raptors has every had in the franchise's history, and they're not so far from contention that they couldn't feasibly have gotten into the finals this season if they had played a little better in this series.

    And if Lebron were to move teams or suddenly dropoff productivity-wise, they're probably the second most complete team in the East aside from a Boston team with a healthy Kyrie and Hayward (which we've yet to see).

    Gun to my head, I don't think it's realistic for the Raptors to win a championship with this core, but I don't think they should blow it up either. They're too talented and have had too much success in recent years to blow it up for the unknown. The likelihood that they would be back here with a team this talented in the next 5-10 years is really, really low. And you never know in the NBA. A young guy could make a jump in his progression or they could make a small signing that could put this team over the top. Or there could be injuries or changes to the rest of the East that suddenly puts the Raptors in the Finals next season. They're too close, IMO, to just blow it all up at this point.
    How are they close? Not even close like what you talkin 'bout? Raptors need a makeover because with this core group y'all ain't winning no titles certainly not in this lifetime. Only way you compete is getting a big name or 2 via trade or free agency flat out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,670
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'm very torn on this. I think the likelihood that Toronto is going to win a championship with the core players as constructed is very low. However, this is undoubtedly the best team the Raptors has every had in the franchise's history, and they're not so far from contention that they couldn't feasibly have gotten into the finals this season if they had played a little better in this series.

    And if Lebron were to move teams or suddenly dropoff productivity-wise, they're probably the second most complete team in the East aside from a Boston team with a healthy Kyrie and Hayward (which we've yet to see).

    Gun to my head, I don't think it's realistic for the Raptors to win a championship with this core, but I don't think they should blow it up either. They're too talented and have had too much success in recent years to blow it up for the unknown. The likelihood that they would be back here with a team this talented in the next 5-10 years is really, really low. And you never know in the NBA. A young guy could make a jump in his progression or they could make a small signing that could put this team over the top. Or there could be injuries or changes to the rest of the East that suddenly puts the Raptors in the Finals next season. They're too close, IMO, to just blow it all up at this point.
    yeah, i don't know what they can do to change things but if we are buying into Lebron James as the possible best player in the history of the game, then the Raptors are as close as you can get without one upping him. i don't think you can walk away from that because you are aren't beating James or the Warriors either way but if you stay tough and get internal improvement from JV who is still only 25, and perhaps most importantly Anunoby and Vanvleet you might be able to step right one when James starts to fade.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 05-08-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,289
    Raptors simply put are a regular season team they don't have what it takes playoffs wise to win a title. Only way is free agency and trades adding to that core plain and simple. You have had how many realistic chances to win with this same group of guys and y'all can't get it done when it matters.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    1,426
    So if LeBron moves to the West what do the Raptors do?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    So if LeBron moves to the West what do the Raptors do?
    I would still blow the team up because this team realistically can't win titles right now or even in the future with the core they have. In some ways they remind me a lot of the Bulls teams coached by Thibs. All potential and no substance.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    43,185
    Lowry for Bledsoe/maker or for Wiggins or Jabari.

    Send derpzen and ibaka to the Lakers or clippers for picks.

    Run a post up heavy offense around val for kicks


    But that's only if I didn't enjoy their success this year, which is crazy imo. They were a 60 win club just about, keep it together

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    29,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    How are they close? Not even close like what you talkin 'bout? Raptors need a makeover because with this core group y'all ain't winning no titles certainly not in this lifetime. Only way you compete is getting a big name or 2 via trade or free agency flat out.
    First off... "Y'all?" You realize I'm a Rockets fan, right? I figured my location, my signature and my decade of posting in this forum as an obvious Rockets fan for the last 11 years was a dead giveaway. Maybe don't assume that just because someone has a positive thing to say about a team that he/she is necessarily a fan of that team. Believe it or not, not everything you have to say about a team that isn't your's has to be negative.

    As for the Raptors (which again, I have no affiliation with whatsoever), you assume that completely blowing it up is the only way to win a title. That's simply not true. Right now they have accumulated a lot of quality assets, and Masai Ujiri is a very smart, talented guy. If the right move comes along, the Raptors could become the best team in the East. Hell, they just had the best record in the conference. It's just a matter of them bringing that regular season success to the postseason.

    Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    First off... "Y'all?" You realize I'm a Rockets fan, right? I figured my location, my signature and my decade of posting in this forum as an obvious Rockets fan for the last 11 years was a dead giveaway. Maybe don't assume that just because someone has a positive thing to say about a team that he/she is necessarily a fan of that team. Believe it or not, not everything you have to say about a team that isn't your's has to be negative.

    As for the Raptors (which again, I have no affiliation with whatsoever), you assume that completely blowing it up is the only way to win a title. That's simply not true. Right now they have accumulated a lot of quality assets, and Masai Ujiri is a very smart, talented guy. If the right move comes along, the Raptors could become the best team in the East. Hell, they just had the best record in the conference. It's just a matter of them bringing that regular season success to the postseason.
    I apologize for that and being a Rockets fan you guys are practically 1 name away from winning it all or at least dethroning the Warriors

    Same cannot be said for those Baby Dinos in the East who can't even dethrone Cleveland

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •