Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MASS
    Posts
    53,166

    Where Does Mookie Betts Rank as one of MLB's Best?

    Buster Olney Twitter

    An NL evaluator said the other day he thinks Mookie Betts is the AL's best player. Mookie on pace for these numbers in 2018:
    172 runs
    124 RBI
    62 homers
    115 extra-base hits
    186 hits
    67 walks
    14 stolen bases


    Just curious as to where baseball fans think Mookie Betts rank in today's game


    First Sim League Title!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25,642
    Easily a top 10 player in all of baseball imo

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    36,346
    .355/.434/.818, .511 wOBA/225 wRC+, .404 ISO

    Damn, I had no idea he was hitting that well. And his BABIP isn't abnormal- .302.

    Those are Bondsian numbers.

    Definite top 10 player. Maybe even top 5.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,121
    I have an issue with how he hit last year, but I'm willing to accept that might have been a one year dip for an otherwise, great, and young player.

    Obviously, he is killing it this year, been the best hitter for the first month of the season. But I think we'd all like to see a little more total PA at this level (or near it) before we rank him too highly.

    Since he entered the league in 2014 (as a rookie of course), he is tied with Adrian Beltre and Jose Bautista for 26th in wRC+ at 128. He's also 4th in fWAR because he plays awesome defense.

    Right now, if we were doing ranks and I just put him next to other outfielders:

    Tier 1 - MVP's - Trout and Harper - 8-10ish WAR guys (Harper needs a big year, otherwise he falls to tier 2, played hurt last year)
    Tier 2 - Superstars - Betts, Stanton, Judge, Blackmon - 5-8ish WAR guys
    Tier 3 - All-stars - Pham, Pollock, Cespedes, Yelich, Cruz, Springer, etc (big group in this third tier) - 3.5-5ish WAR guys
    Tier 4 - Better than average starters - Fowler, Cutch, Cain, etc - 2.5-3.5ish WAR guys
    Tier 5 - Starters - Gardner, Reddick, etc - 1.0-2.5ish WAR guys

    Of course, players can move up and down tiers, but for the most part, you are splitting hairs or changing timeline when comparing players in their tier.

    I would say Betts is safely behind Trout and Harper, but could emerge into their tier with a MVP caliber season this year. Stanton and Judge and Blackmon are others next to Betts. Guys who could compile a MVP season (and have), or we need to simply see more from them for them to jump to the next level. Stanton and Judge crushed last year, but we need more consistency at this level over more time to put them next to Trout and Harper (obviously my opinion on all of this).

    Tier 3 guys could surprise for a year with a MVP type season but we haven't seen enough from them (like Pham and Yelich) or they are just stable performers below those tier 2 guys (like Justin Upton or Nelson Cruz) and a MVP season would surprise everyone. These are perennial all-star types.

    Then Tier 4 guys are better than average, could sneak in some All-star games, are usually vets or up and coming guys that deserve to play everyday.

    Tier 5 guys are just your everyday starters

    Before anyone freaks out about the ranks, I didn't put a lot of thought into who was where, just initial reactions of types of players by memories and what I would think of them moving forward. I'm also likely bullish with Harper.



    I can't just rank players down a list, and I can't compare players to guys at different positions unless we are talking only about things like hitting. Otherwise you have to do positional adjustments etc. And i wouldn't compare Kershaw with Jansen for example. Different jobs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    41,357
    One of 3 players capable of a 10 WAR season IMO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I have an issue with how he hit last year, but I'm willing to accept that might have been a one year dip for an otherwise, great, and young player.

    Obviously, he is killing it this year, been the best hitter for the first month of the season. But I think we'd all like to see a little more total PA at this level (or near it) before we rank him too highly.

    Since he entered the league in 2014 (as a rookie of course), he is tied with Adrian Beltre and Jose Bautista for 26th in wRC+ at 128. He's also 4th in fWAR because he plays awesome defense.

    Right now, if we were doing ranks and I just put him next to other outfielders:

    Tier 1 - MVP's - Trout and Harper - 8-10ish WAR guys (Harper needs a big year, otherwise he falls to tier 2, played hurt last year)
    Tier 2 - Superstars - Betts, Stanton, Judge, Blackmon - 5-8ish WAR guys
    Tier 3 - All-stars - Pham, Pollock, Cespedes, Yelich, Cruz, Springer, etc (big group in this third tier) - 3.5-5ish WAR guys
    Tier 4 - Better than average starters - Fowler, Cutch, Cain, etc - 2.5-3.5ish WAR guys
    Tier 5 - Starters - Gardner, Reddick, etc - 1.0-2.5ish WAR guys

    Of course, players can move up and down tiers, but for the most part, you are splitting hairs or changing timeline when comparing players in their tier.

    I would say Betts is safely behind Trout and Harper, but could emerge into their tier with a MVP caliber season this year. Stanton and Judge and Blackmon are others next to Betts. Guys who could compile a MVP season (and have), or we need to simply see more from them for them to jump to the next level. Stanton and Judge crushed last year, but we need more consistency at this level over more time to put them next to Trout and Harper (obviously my opinion on all of this).

    Tier 3 guys could surprise for a year with a MVP type season but we haven't seen enough from them (like Pham and Yelich) or they are just stable performers below those tier 2 guys (like Justin Upton or Nelson Cruz) and a MVP season would surprise everyone. These are perennial all-star types.

    Then Tier 4 guys are better than average, could sneak in some All-star games, are usually vets or up and coming guys that deserve to play everyday.

    Tier 5 guys are just your everyday starters

    Before anyone freaks out about the ranks, I didn't put a lot of thought into who was where, just initial reactions of types of players by memories and what I would think of them moving forward. I'm also likely bullish with Harper.



    I can't just rank players down a list, and I can't compare players to guys at different positions unless we are talking only about things like hitting. Otherwise you have to do positional adjustments etc. And i wouldn't compare Kershaw with Jansen for example. Different jobs.
    This honestly seems pretty fair to me

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,121
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    One of 3 players capable of a 10 WAR season IMO
    And that's fair lol. It was kind of subjective and I didn't take the time to pull up Fangraphs and be more objective about it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MASS
    Posts
    53,166
    nice, good to learn, im a homer so of course im gonna say # 1 lol i have no shame in my game to admit when it comes to baseball im a 100% homer

    but good to see people think hes a top 10 player and top 3 OF


    First Sim League Title!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    Buster Olney Twitter

    An NL evaluator said the other day he thinks Mookie Betts is the AL's best player. Mookie on pace for these numbers in 2018:
    172 runs
    124 RBI
    62 homers
    115 extra-base hits
    186 hits
    67 walks
    14 stolen bases


    Just curious as to where baseball fans think Mookie Betts rank in today's game
    If he maintains that for another 5 months he's the best player in baseball and even Trout likely couldn't have much to say about that.

    We'll see if he does that though. I think Trout's probably still safe, but Betts is firmly entrenched in the top ten at this point and I think barring injury is likely to make a strong case for top five by season's end.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    30,031
    I'd put him just below Trout, Harper, Altuve, Judge, Arenando, Bryant for position players

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MASS
    Posts
    53,166
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I'd put him just below Trout, Harper, Altuve, Judge, Arenando, Bryant for position players
    I like the list of names

    for those who say hes top 10 for sure, who do you rank ahead of Mookie?


    First Sim League Title!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    30,031
    I'd put him neck to neck with Carlos Correa, Manny Machado, Giancarlo Stanton, Charlie Blackmon, Francisco Lindor. Although I say he has slight edge over all of them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    I like the list of names

    for those who say hes top 10 for sure, who do you rank ahead of Mookie?
    Trout and Harper for sure. Probably Arenado, Machado, Altuve, Judge. Then there are guys like Stanton, Lindor, Bryant, Jose Ramirez, Correa, Betts who I'd put in that next tier. There is absolutely a case for Betts being a top 5 all around player for sure. He's a special talent.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MASS
    Posts
    53,166
    Nolan Arenado is that good? I honestly had no idea. Either im remembering a very old player or I thought Nolan was so so and just got on the scene as a top player the last year or 2


    First Sim League Title!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    25,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    Nolan Arenado is that good? I honestly had no idea. Either im remembering a very old player or I thought Nolan was so so and just got on the scene as a top player the last year or 2
    Nolan is a great player but he plays at coors so some don't give him the credit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •