Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Dolphins trade for Akeem Spence

Lions announced today they have traded DT Akeem Spence to the Miami Dolphins for an undisclosed 2019 draft pick.

Via Schefter

I legit was going to bring his name up, thought he was a FA though. Have to wait and see on the pick, doubt it's high.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Lions announced today they have traded DT Akeem Spence to the Miami Dolphins for an undisclosed 2019 draft pick.

Via Schefter

I legit was going to bring his name up, thought he was a FA though. Have to wait and see on the pick, doubt it's high.
    As long as it's a 5th or 6th rounder, then I have no problem with this at all.

He's no Suh and no one will ever mistake the two... but he's also making almost a 10th of what Suh would have made here.

It's a conditional 7th, one from the Landry deal.

Keep in mind our DL coach was his coach last year for Lions.

Not much risk draft pick wise assuming the condition is he makes the team. If he is good enough to make the team it will be worth a 7th round pick. The question is financially how much do we lose if he doesn't make the team.

Akeem Spence has a 3M cap hit this year and 2.5M next year. He does have some playing time escalators that can bump that up 750K. Nothing guaranteed being it was a trade.

I didn't even see that this happened...thanks Google!

So I guess I can stop saying that we will have to bring in a veteran DT...done and done. I was fine with a signing in free agency, but getting a known quantity is even better; he has a rapport with his former position coach. Good situation/trade I'd say.

I'm ok with this. He played well over the end of the season and the Dline coach obviously must like him.

Played 67% of the Lions snaps last year. Good rotation guy and exactly what we needed. Also a big locker room guy so it keeps the trend.

really nice trade! Low cost both in assets given up and his contract, and we have him for next year on the cheap too. In case we don't resign Phillips, he will be on the roster, with one year experience in the system. Nice, nice trade.