Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    When I focus on defense its deeper than scheme. Its more about adjustments and matchups and scouting. This was something Kidd completely lacked. Just ran the same defense with the same matchups out there regardless of who we were playing. Its obvious to most of us Henson can't beat a physical center, Jabari can't defender a quicker player, Bledsoe isn't great against good shooters etc. What Brad Stevens does is setup his defense to favor his roster. For example against the Sixer he's got Horford defending Simmons or Embiid (depending on the rotation). Horford vs Simmons sounds like a total mismatch on paper, but Simmons can't shoot so it basically gives Boston an extra rim protector.

Not to give kidd any credit, but we donít have the roster to be able to really exploit those types of things. I agree Henson canít defend stronger centers, but neither can thon or Giannis. Zeller isnít great at it either and he can only play like 20 minutes max a nigh anyways.

Same thing with our on ball guys. None of our guards are quick enough to stay with quick guards outside of maybe Bledsoe. Delly, brogdon, snell and brown all get shredded by quick guards.

So regardless of coach, some of that stuff is difficult with this roster. I mean, we havenít had a good defensive answer for quick guards for basically as long as I can remember. Knight was solid defensively, but even he struggled with quickness. As a coach, thereís only so much you can do.

Middleton and Parker are in the same boat. Parker can be an okay on ball defender when he wants, but even then heís not great against quicker players. The opposite is sort of true of middleton. Heís a good team defender and plays passing lanes off the ball well. But he struggles on ball lately, especially with quickness as well.

Coaching will help, especially with the team stuff and not running the Chinese fire drill blitz defense will also help. But when basically all of your perimeter defenders are a threat to be beaten off the dribble at any moment, itís hard to scheme a defense around that.

and thatís kind of my thing with Stevens. I think his genius is more on offense than defense. He has a bunch of plus defenders. Heís does a good job with matchups and puts them in a good position, but at the end of the day, he has some great athletes. But his ability to get them good looks on set plays and inbounds and create a passable offense with that group is more impressive to me.

That team should be good defensively. That team has no business playing as well in the half court offense as they have at times. They still make dumb mistakes and struggle, but thatís more impressive to me than their defense.

To me we need an offensive coach that will move the ball around, defense is basically the same concept across the league. Coaching wise its about motivating and putting the right players in a situation to be successful. I think I we add a rebounder and potentially a shot blocker inside a lot of our defensive will be solved because Giannis won't have to play inside as much and can just focus on his man.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    To me we need an offensive coach that will move the ball around, defense is basically the same concept across the league. Coaching wise its about motivating and putting the right players in a situation to be successful. I think I we add a rebounder and potentially a shot blocker inside a lot of our defensive will be solved because Giannis won't have to play inside as much and can just focus on his man.
    I agree. The Bucks in the halfcourt weren't that great. The Bucks aren't a great halfcourt team. Rebounding numbers and taking the ball out of your basket because of bad defense bogs any team down but especially the Bucks who don't have a ton of great shooters. When the Bucks play defense they are really good in transition. Need to become a better defensive team and rebounding team which would help the offense.

I would agree in the regular season, but in the post season, you need to be able to score in the half court game to win series. You can have games where you run teams out of the gym occasionally, but if you want to win 4 of 7 against a good team, it comes down to the half court game. Your half court offense and defense needs to be good.

And I think focusing on offensive va defensive coaches is not really how things go in the nba for the most part. This isnít the nfl where both sides of the ball have thick playbooks with a bunch of derivatives. Coaches should be pretty knowledgeable on both to succeed. Sure, you have some more specialty assistants, but if you have a coach like kidd who needs a main offensive assistant to diagram plays for him and also have a defensive guy who installs your scheme, thatís probably a red flag that he shouldnít be a coach.

I also think saying Kidd didn't have great defensive players is mostly Kidd's fault. He kept asking for draft picks that fit his lousy scheme. Drafting all length means you're sacraficing foot speed, and in turn on ball defense with it. The Bucks also consistently went for the homerun pick whereas Boston kept going for the solid guy with a high floor. None of their draft picks are superstars but they're all solid role players.

Probably semantics, but Boston was far from conservative with their picks. Brown was almost entirely all upside. Rozier was far from polished. Smart was a high floor guy and Tatum was probably a relatively high floor guy. But rozier and brown were far from safe picks.

And the rumor was always that kidd had a hand in the Vaughn pick. Iím not sure what else he had a hand in. Not sure he deserves all the blame for Wilson and thon picks, since weíve been drafting long, athletic wings and bigs for a long time.

Bucks interviewed Monty other day. Guess next up is Blatt and Hammon.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Bucks interviewed Monty other day. Guess next up is Blatt and Hammon.
    I expect Dwane Casey to the Bucks rumors to run rampant now that he has been fired by Raptors. I like Casey. Not sure what he can do about his star players being mentally weak in playoffs. Saw stats that LeBron basically outscored, rebounded and assisted Lowry and DD by himself.

I'd be okay with Casey. Personally I think interviewing Monty and Hammon is a waste of time. I don't want either. I've never been a Monty fan and I think Hammon is being used as a publicity stunt, I don't think she's qualified - she's not even the best candidate as an assistant on her own team.

Easy no for Hammon and Monty. Best to go with Bud or Blatt. Maybe Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Easy no for Hammon and Monty. Best to go with Bud or Blatt. Maybe Casey.
    Woj reporting Raps and Bucks both want Bud as their next coach. Put on the fc press Bucks. I guess ownership stake might be offered by Bucks to Bud. Why not add another! LOL

Ownership stakes of like .0001?

Raptors and Bucks showing interests in Bud.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast