Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A few days off could be good for the Rockets. A little extra time to get prepared and get guys back to 100%, especially Harden. I know he was sick, but he's looked tired at some points in the Playoffs.

I hope the Rockets donít listen to anyone in the national media. Most media personalities/shows have Rockets losing in 5 or 6.

Also, thereís a report saying the Suns will offer Clint a max contract. Well, I like Capela, but do you guys think bringing in deandre for the max would be better?? Would he bring more physicality to this unit? Something to think about. Or is Clintís ceiling much higher?

Clint > Jordan already, in my opinion. And he's almost 6 years younger, as well. So, not only Clint's ceiling is higher, DeAndre could start declining fast, because his whole value is based on athleticism. Plus, Jordan's max salary starts at a higher figure, so even if he doesn't get offered a max contract, he could still make as much or more tha. Capela.

But the bigger issue is, with Harden signed under that massive extension, and Paul set to re-sign, plus all the guys under contract (Gordon, Anderson, Tucker and Nene) and Ariza also a FA, and the Rockets can't offer a FA like Jordan a big contract, unless they go the Chris Paul route (see all LeBron James to Houston trade ideas), and trade for him after he picks up his PO, but that's just not worth it.

The Rockets either matches any offer Clint gets, including the max (reminder that he's a restricted FA, and the Rockets can only lose him if they chose to do so), or they let him go and they probably won't be able replace his production from the 5 spot.

Considering his level of play this postseason, I want Clint re-signed this offseason to a long-term contract at any cost. Morey usually doesn't extend rookie contracts before the season (except Harden right after the trade with OKC -- a no-brainer, obviously), but looking back now, he probably should have worked a extension for Capela. It would probably come at a discount.

It will be interesting to see how Morey and Clint handle this offseason. I would love to see Clint make a Draymond move and take less money to play for the team that gave him a chance and gives him a great chance to win a championship. If he doesn't, though, and he does end up signing a max deal somewhere, will Morey match?

Because if you guys all recall, he's the one who said "You don't want to be the one who signs Chandler Parsons. You want to the one who finds Chandler Parsons." Or something like that... But does Morey see Capela as a Chandler Parsons, or does he see him as an integral building block moving forward that the team can't function without. Knowing how important Cilnt has been to this team's success over the last two years, I've got to think that Morey thinks more highly of Clint than he did of Chandler, especially given his unique skillset and how well he fits on this team.

But if they end up signing Paul and Capela to max deals, what does that mean for the rest of the roster? Tucker, Gordon and Harden are locked in, which is nice. But Ariza's not going to want to sign here for a veteran minimum deal. And Luc might be inclined to seek more money elsewhere. Could Morey find a way to get rid of Anderson's deal to pay those guys? They can use Ariza's Bird rights, and they might be able to sign Luc with some exception money if he wants more than the minimum.

Really, it all boils down to how much Tillman is willing to spend. If he's willing to go deep into luxury tax payments, they could feasibly keep everyone. But if he's not or if he's got a limit that he's going to hold Morey to, then Morey might have to let 1-2 guys go or may have to pull off a miracle and find a taker for Ryno's albatross of a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rockets...ct-source/amp/

Suns prepared to offer Capela the max

I think Fertitta will spend what he has to this early in his reign. Iím worried about 3-4 years from now (you know, when the Warriors are going to be a lesser team) if heíll spend the money when CP3 retires. He surrounds himself with smart people though and I have to think heíd keep Morey for as long as Morey wants to stay.

Fertitta hopping on when theyíre already high up is great.....the guyís got the ego but also knows when to cut back and just reap the profits......Iím just wondering what happens after the Harden era. I donít have high hopes.

I didnít like Steve Kerrís recent comment that his players have ďrings.Ē Thought that was a little classless. I hope this comment lights a fire 🔥 under these Rockets. I understand past playoff performances have played a role with the overwhelming narrative that the Rockets will succumb to the pressure and eventually get blown out by Golden State. I certainly donít think that is the case, and I canít wait for this squad to prove everyone wrong.

What needs to happen: Everyone has to show up against the Warriors. The time is now. All that work put in during this season has lead to this pivotal game. Rockets players need to make shots. The Rockets can not afford to come out slow and lethargic against this team. They need that energy! You guys know what energy Iím talking about.
    Sucks that we have to wait until Monday. Really? Why not Sunday? Whatever
    Last edited by Denverbronco007; 05-11-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I think Fertitta will spend what he has to this early in his reign. Iím worried about 3-4 years from now (you know, when the Warriors are going to be a lesser team) if heíll spend the money when CP3 retires. He surrounds himself with smart people though and I have to think heíd keep Morey for as long as Morey wants to stay.

Fertitta hopping on when theyíre already high up is great.....the guyís got the ego but also knows when to cut back and just reap the profits......Iím just wondering what happens after the Harden era. I donít have high hopes.
    FWIW, the Supreme Court struck down the federal law prohibiting sports gambling today, clearing the way to make sport bets legal. That's good news for Fertitta's bank account, obviously.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    FWIW, the Supreme Court struck down the federal law prohibiting sports gambling today, clearing the way to make sport bets legal. That's good news for Fertitta's bank account, obviously.
    Heíll find a way to pocket what he can and leave the team holding the bag. We probably have another 6 or so years....which levels with the Warriors dominance.

****ing sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Morey and Clint handle this offseason. I would love to see Clint make a Draymond move and take less money to play for the team that gave him a chance and gives him a great chance to win a championship. If he doesn't, though, and he does end up signing a max deal somewhere, will Morey match?

Because if you guys all recall, he's the one who said "You don't want to be the one who signs Chandler Parsons. You want to the one who finds Chandler Parsons." Or something like that... But does Morey see Capela as a Chandler Parsons, or does he see him as an integral building block moving forward that the team can't function without. Knowing how important Cilnt has been to this team's success over the last two years, I've got to think that Morey thinks more highly of Clint than he did of Chandler, especially given his unique skillset and how well he fits on this team.

But if they end up signing Paul and Capela to max deals, what does that mean for the rest of the roster? Tucker, Gordon and Harden are locked in, which is nice. But Ariza's not going to want to sign here for a veteran minimum deal. And Luc might be inclined to seek more money elsewhere. Could Morey find a way to get rid of Anderson's deal to pay those guys? They can use Ariza's Bird rights, and they might be able to sign Luc with some exception money if he wants more than the minimum.

Really, it all boils down to how much Tillman is willing to spend. If he's willing to go deep into luxury tax payments, they could feasibly keep everyone. But if he's not or if he's got a limit that he's going to hold Morey to, then Morey might have to let 1-2 guys go or may have to pull off a miracle and find a taker for Ryno's albatross of a contract.
    I'm a huge Morey fan, but my counter to his response would be "You don't want to sign Ryan Anderson. You want to be the one who realizes that will go down as one of the worst contracts in NBA history."

Without Anderson, the Rockets would be a different team than the one that attracted Chris Paul. Possibly the same team Durant declined to even consider joining.

Without Anderson, the Rockets would be a different team than the one that attracted Chris Paul. Possibly the same team Durant declined to even consider joining.
    That's a real stretch. Anderson has had his moments during some regular season games, but he has been essentially rendered worthless in the playoffs due to his lack of defense. That $20M could've been used to sign someone much better. Listen, I love Morey and think he's one of the best, if not the best, GM in the game, but this was a horrible signing. There is no other way to sugarcoat it.

Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    That's a real stretch. Anderson has had his moments during some regular season games, but he has been essentially rendered worthless in the playoffs due to his lack of defense. That $20M could've been used to sign someone much better. Listen, I love Morey and think he's one of the best, if not the best, GM in the game, but this was a horrible signing. There is no other way to sugarcoat it.
    It's a horrible signing with 20/20 hindsight. At the time, it seemed like an overpay, but a reasonable overpay. Morey had always coveted Ryno, who was still a 17/6 kind of player at the time. And everyone thought the cap was about to skyrocket, so $20 million a year for a solid No. 3 caliber guy didn't feel like a terrible deal. If anything, I was worried more about Gordon given his previous injury history.

But, yes, that deal has turned into an absolute albatross. Ryno is a mental midget. For anyone who thinks Harden has mental blocks when it comes to performing in big games, go look at Ryno's play in the last 2-3 months. But how could Morey have known that this was the guy he was getting? Four of the previous five seasons, he was averaging 16/6 with above average 3-point shooting. If he was that guy, we'd all be thrilled to have him right about now. But he's just been such a massive disappointment, it's insane to think he was ever capable of that kind of production.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    I don't think it is. He was a big part of the offense that finished second in ORTG last season. The spacing he brought was key for D'Antoni's offense, and it led to Harden having his MVP season (damn you, triple doubles). I don't think the Rockets win 55 games without him. I don't think it's crazy to think that. Anything less than the season the Rockets had, and Paul could be wearing Spurs black and silver now. Or back with the Clippers. Who knows.

And that was the offseason in which the cap actually did skyrocket, and players like Mozgov and Biyombo were getting similar money. Coming off a disappointing 41-41 season, after which they couldn't even secure a meeting with the top FA available, they had to go out and get someone. And I'll ask you, who exactly the Rockets should have signed instead of Ryno? And don't forget, Ryno and Eric were good friends and teammates in NOLA, and both have said playing together factored in their decision.

I guess you can now say it's a bad and possibly unmovable contract, because Ryno certainly didn't produce like a $20M player this season, but even in hindsight, if I could, I wouldn't change a thing about the way Morey built a team that's 3-2 against the Warriors in the WCF.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

I don't think it is. He was a big part of the offense that finished second in ORTG last season. The spacing he brought was key for D'Antoni's offense, and it led to Harden having his MVP season (damn you, triple doubles). I don't think the Rockets win 55 games without him. I don't think it's crazy to think that. Anything less than the season the Rockets had, and Paul could be wearing Spurs black and silver now. Or back with the Clippers. Who knows.

And that was the offseason in which the cap actually did skyrocket, and players like Mozgov and Biyombo were getting similar money. Coming off a disappointing 41-41 season, after which they couldn't even secure a meeting with the top FA available, they had to go out and get someone. And I'll ask you, who exactly the Rockets should have signed instead of Ryno? And don't forget, Ryno and Eric were good friends and teammates in NOLA, and both have said playing together factored in their decision.

I guess you can now say it's a bad and possibly unmovable contract, because Ryno certainly didn't produce like a $20M player this season, but even in hindsight, if I could, I wouldn't change a thing about the way Morey built a team that's 3-2 against the Warriors in the WCF.
    All trades/signings are valued in hindsight. There is no other way to determine if the trade/signing was a good one until years later. I understand the reason they signed Ryno, but it has been a monumental disaster for the most part. They aren't up 3-2 because of ANY contribution from Anderson. I had no problem with the signing at the time and, as I've said numerous times, I wouldn't want any other GM running the Rockets except Morey, but it was just not a good signing in retrospect. I am also a very pro-Jeff Luhnow guy and I think he's the best GM in baseball, but he's also made some bad signings/trades. It comes with the territory of being a GM and I understand this, but it doesn't mean they are infallible to making bad trades/signings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast