Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    When the new CBA came in they put in a salary cap recapture penalty for teams that signed those bogus 10+ year deals in the prior CBA. I'm on the road right now so I'll explain the whole thing when I get a chance unless somebody beats me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    When the new CBA came in they put in a salary cap recapture penalty for teams that signed those bogus 10+ year deals in the prior CBA. I'm on the road right now so I'll explain the whole thing when I get a chance unless somebody beats me to it.
    Thanks kinger. What confuses me is what are the numbers they're listing there. Does that mean if weber retired right now that Nashville would have a cap hit of 24mil for one season? Or is it just that they would have to pay that cash but it wouldn't effect the cap? Does weber get all the money still? Cause if so then he should just go ahead and retire lol.

How would it effect MTL? Just dead cap?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Thanks kinger. What confuses me is what are the numbers they're listing there. Does that mean if weber retired right now that Nashville would have a cap hit of 24mil for one season? Or is it just that they would have to pay that cash but it wouldn't effect the cap? Does weber get all the money still? Cause if so then he should just go ahead and retire lol.

If he retires he doesn't get the money. So each year he doesn't retire, the number for that year gets wiped out. Basically Nashville is screwed if he doesn't play out the whole contract. Similar to Luongo for Vancouver. But yes the numbers listed in the chart are dead cap for Nashville and Montreal. They could indeed have 24 million in dead cap space that last season.

Basically if Weber retires with 3 or 4 years to go Nashville is screwed with all of their long term deals.
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Philly set up this deal really well actually to deter a team from signing it. The 4 first round picks they would have traded to Nashville wound up as Morin,Sanheim,Provorov,Stanley(Winnipeg).
    2015 Re-Draft Dream Team

Hall-Backes-Cammalleri
    Lupul-Bjugstad-Brown
    Rieder-Rakell-Hayes
    Jaskin-Jenner-Stempniak

McDonagh-Doughty
    Orpik-Jones
    Campbell-Gudbranson

Bernier
    Tokarski

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post

Read JaysLeafs98's post. He beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2018/07/04/kyle-dubas-i-am-probably-more-bullish-on-our-defense-than-others-ive-got-a-lot-of-faith-in-our-defense/
    I said this a few weeks ago, i don't really think Dubas is that concerned with the D. I'm sure Lou would want to find a #1 but i don't think Dubas does.

Lou is the kind of guy that would move hell on earth to get that #1 guy just so he can relax knowing he found a core piece, even if it came at the expense of Nylander, Liljegren and a 1st. Dubas is all about market inefficiencies because that what all analytical people are focused on, "how can I beat the system?"

People often bring up Pittsburgh when talking about how you don't need a stud defense but you should be really looking at the Golden Knights, because they are proof that it wasn't a fluke. I think most people, before this season, would have thought some of them would be waiver fodder. All of their D were journey-men, late-pick, healthy scratches, grit-grinders just happy with a 3rd pairing slot when they got a chance. Look at them now. The only guy that was really that highly thought of was Theodore and look how ANAheim was willing to toss him aside to save Manson and Vatanen. You need puck-movers first and foremost and you need the entire team to buy into your system. In the past 20 years, 4 conn smythe winners have been defenseman (Stevens, Lidstrom, Keith, Niedermayer)

I really don't think the Leafs need to trade for a D but if they do, they'd be better served trying to find a younger Hainsey than trying to land the biggest fish.

And i will guarantee that the NHL changes the recapture rule, there is no way they will hit a team with $24M in dead cap especially a team that has emerged as a financial powerhouse, in a formerly questionable NHL city. They did it to deter players from retiring early and circumventing the cap. I see the NHL saying that these contracts function like a 35+ contract, meaning they stay on the cap for the duration of the contract regardless or the team can choose to take the recapture penalty. When a star like Weber, Crosby, etc retire it likely means that their team will go through a very rough rebuilding stage and might not want to have to spend to the cap. A $24 million dead cap option would be a pretty good idea for the NHL to have. Option, not penalty though and maybe make it tradeable as well

I really think Connor Murphy is poised to be a great NHL defenseman but i think he costs us a guy like Brown or Kapanen and those two are going to be key to our success the next little while. I also have a feeling that Ohziganov blows us away with what he can do and eases pressure on Zaitsev and, naturally, Hainsey this year, then Liljegren comes up. It all fits.

And there were rumours that Dubas was checking with Gardiner's agent to see what his new contract would look like. It would make sense to keep Gardiner if you are working with question marks on the right side. You want that left side as strong as possible.

Check out Opti's post too Chong. Those two hit it on the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I said this a few weeks ago, i don't really think Dubas is that concerned with the D. I'm sure Lou would want to find a #1 but i don't think Dubas does.

Lou is the kind of guy that would move hell on earth to get that #1 guy just so he can relax knowing he found a core piece, even if it came at the expense of Nylander, Liljegren and a 1st. Dubas is all about market inefficiencies because that what all analytical people are focused on, "how can I beat the system?"

People often bring up Pittsburgh when talking about how you don't need a stud defense but you should be really looking at the Golden Knights, because they are proof that it wasn't a fluke. I think most people, before this season, would have thought some of them would be waiver fodder. All of their D were journey-men, late-pick, healthy scratches, grit-grinders just happy with a 3rd pairing slot when they got a chance. Look at them now. The only guy that was really that highly thought of was Theodore and look how ANAheim was willing to toss him aside to save Manson and Vatanen. You need puck-movers first and foremost and you need the entire team to buy into your system. In the past 20 years, 4 conn smythe winners have been defenseman (Stevens, Lidstrom, Keith, Niedermayer)

I really don't think the Leafs need to trade for a D but if they do, they'd be better served trying to find a younger Hainsey than trying to land the biggest fish.
    This point is why I kind of want to see more of Rielly and Carrick together. The last game they played together they had a 75% CF or something ridiculous. May have been a fluke but at least see what you have with some of these puck moving fringy guys.

Not that we need it, but would you guys take a shot at Panarin for a year while we still have some cap space?

Could throw him on Kadri's line for fun.

Got my Tavares jersey in the mail today, its so beautiful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Not that we need it, but would you guys take a shot at Panarin for a year while we still have some cap space?

Could throw him on Kadri's line for fun.
    Would like to see him in a Leafs jersey for sure but the cost to acquire would be massive...Even with only 1yr left on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Got my Tavares jersey in the mail today, its so beautiful!!!
    Beat you by a weekend. Got mine Friday and yes it certainly is beautiful. Home blue or road white? I went white because I have Rielly and Matthews jerseys in home blue. I never used to be a jersey guy until this team got good.

Exclamation

As far as Panarin goes.. I wouldn't bother. I mean I am a huge fan of the bread man but we have so much offence already it's crazy to think about. Keep the assets it would take and spend them on a D if that comes along. Between Matthews, Tavares and Kadri they may score 110 goals combined this year. That's nuts. You put Willy with Matthews. Marner with JT and Johnsson with Kadri. Just thinking about it I wish it was October! I honestly think Johnsson could be a Calder trophy nominee if all goes well. Super high on him.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 07-09-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast