Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Our Pitching Staff

The one thing I like about Calloway so far is that he has very little patience with pitchers who don't live up to expectations. Harvey has been banished to the bullpen and it looks like Matz is heading down the same road. Calloway would not commit to Matz making another start and just as well. He has not looked good. However, I really like this new kid Corey Oswalt. I thought he pitched well last night. He only made one mistake in giving up that homerun with a man on. He did not walk a batter and he struck out four giving up only two hits in 4-2/3 innings. I expect our rotation to be rebuilt as the season goes along. Vargas, Lugo, and Oswalt will be starters. Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler will either be sent to the bullpen or demoted to the minor leagues. This is needed because our pitching staff is what let us down last year.
    Last edited by erickench; 04-26-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    The one thing I like about Calloway so far is that he has very little patience with pitchers who don't live up to expectations. Harvey has been banished to the bullpen and it looks like Matz is heading down the same road. Calloway would not commit to Matz making another start and just as well. He has not looked good. However, I really like this new kid Corey Oswalt. I thought he pitched well last night. He only made one mistake in giving up that homerun with a man on. He did not walk a batter and he struck out four giving up only two hits in 4-2/3 innings. I expect our rotation to be rebuilt as the season goes along. Vargas, Lugo, and Oswalt will be starters. Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler will either be sent to the bullpen or demoted to the minor leagues. This is needed because our pitching staff is what let us down last year.
    All options should be in play. This team is not rebuilding anymore and all of these guys have been given ample opportunities. Auditions are over. If you do not perform, you shouldn't start.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    All options should be in play. This team is not rebuilding anymore and all of these guys have been given ample opportunities. Auditions are over. If you do not perform, you shouldn't start.
    I agree. We've lost two straight series because the bullpen faltered when Degrom was the starter. Having another lefthander as a long reliever would be ideal to pair with Gsellman. Matz would be good for that. Harvey is heading to the minor leagues with his attitude. Hopefully he'll go through waivers and some other team will pick up his contract, so we don't have to pay him. Why did we ever bring him back?

There are also still the following FA SPs available.

R.A. Dickey
    Scott Feldman
    Matt Garza
    Ubaldo Jimenez
    John Lackey

Obviously none of these guys move the needle much, but given how low the cost would likely be for any of them it could at least be worth a shot for a back end starter who can at least consistently go 5 or 6 innings.

I agree. We've lost two straight series because the bullpen faltered when Degrom was the starter. Having another lefthander as a long reliever would be ideal to pair with Gsellman. Matz would be good for that. Harvey is heading to the minor leagues with his attitude. Hopefully he'll go through waivers and some other team will pick up his contract, so we don't have to pay him. Why did we ever bring him back?
    This team always waits to long to try to move guys. Given the drama that occur with Boras/Harvey towards the end of the 2015 season, it should have been clear that it might be hard for the Mets to re-sign Harvey once he was a FA, especially given the team's aversion to long-term deals. After his great bounce back year and strong postseason his value was at a high. Should have been traded. Still pisses me off, but it is over now.

Id kick the tires on Robert Allen one more time....

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Id kick the tires on Robert Allen one more time....
    I think we have enough talent within the organization. Lugo had a good spring. He should've earned a spot in the rotation.

I think we have enough talent within the organization. Lugo had a good spring. He should've earned a spot in the rotation.
    He did.... then lost it because he was too good in the pen. Makes no sense

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    He did.... then lost it because he was too good in the pen. Makes no sense
    I think Matz should take his place in the bullpen.
    Last edited by erickench; 04-26-2018 at 11:01 AM.

That's why the Mets need to acquire more pen help because if Wheeler and Matz struggle going forward, they'll have to consider putting Gsellman and/or Lugo back in the rotation.

That will certainly effect the depth and performance of the pen.

Im All for packaging Dominic Smith for a legit pitching prospect or established pitcher.

We desperately need someone like Robert Allen. He is reliable for 6 innings almost every start

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    We desperately need someone like Robert Allen. He is reliable for 6 innings almost every start
    Robert who? I can't find his stats.

Robert who? I can't find his stats.
    RA (Robert Allen) Dickey

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    RA (Robert Allen) Dickey
    He's been a mediocre pitcher these last two years. Oswalt is the future. We should go with him.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast