Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: What should they do with Grichuk?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let him play through this early slump because they need him

    1 20.00%
  • Stash him on the bench as a 5th OF

    0 0%
  • DFA him and hope he accepts and reports

    2 40.00%
  • Waive him and tell him not to let the door hit him on his way out

    2 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,258

    What should they do with GrichuK?

    I know they gave up assets for him, but that shouldn't guarantee him a roster spot if he stinks up the joint. He is currently 5 for 56 on the season. I don't care how good your defense is, that isn't good enough to play everyday. He is creating a real roster problem.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,145
    He's made some good contact. I'm not prepared to give up on his power. Toronto has a good-great record of turning guys like this into all-stars. If he has options then I'd send him down. If he doesn't then the worst I do is let him ride the pine as a defensive replacement/bat off the bench for now.

    He's a lot like pillar but with + power. They could be a good platoon if you ignore the pitchers and just ride whichever is hot.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,634
    Granted I never watched Grichuk prior to this year but his MO is that he whiffs a tonne but can give you 20-25 HRs in 400-450 ABs.

    I haven't watched every game but when I do tune in I see a guy who swings and makes ZERO contact with the ball way too often. 26 whiffs in 58 ABs is abysmal. We're actually off to a good start this year and can't afford to waste time on a guy who has "potential" which has never shown. DFA him and if anybody claims him then get whatever you can for him. Dude is trash.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,981
    If Hernandez continues to play well, you keep rewarding him. Eventually, Grichuk will find his way to being DFA'd. Not sure what the timing is on that decision.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28,238
    His batted ball data tells a better story. I think once the weather warms up(assuming other things stay similar) the balls that are flyballs now will be homeruns. He's squared up some balls with nothing to show for it. I wouldn't DFA him. Ideally you cut Morales. If you want to keep him I suppose you can send Travis down until he gets his swing back. As far as the topic goes keep Grichuk.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,634
    Teams have started shifting when Grichuk is at bat. They just shift to a seated position.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    8,449
    I don't think he has options but if it comes down to it, I'm Keeping Grichuk over Morales.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I don't think he has options but if it comes down to it, I'm Keeping Grichuk over Morales.
    He doesnít. Morales has been brutal but also has the nagging hammy. At least Morales could be used as a pinch hitter though. An 11 million dollar pinch hitter haha.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    8,449
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    He doesnít. Morales has been brutal but also has the nagging hammy. At least Morales could be used as a pinch hitter though. An 11 million dollar pinch hitter haha.
    I've grown sick of Morales and I didn't mind the deal at the time. Doesn't his deal go to 12 mil next year? **** that's gross

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,145
    Grich could be used as a pinch hitter but also a pinch runner and defensive replacement. I also keep grich over morales and the main reason is his youth and room to improve.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,634
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Grich could be used as a pinch hitter but also a pinch runner and defensive replacement. I also keep grich over morales and the main reason is his youth and room to improve.
    Iíll give you defensive replacement and pinch runner but no way anyone willingly uses him as a pinch hitter. Apparently he took shots at Matheny over limited playing time last year so thereís that too. We have enough youth waiting for a crack at the OF.

    Teoscar
    Alford
    DSJ
    Pompey

    Yes, Iíd even be willing to give Pompey a shot before Grichuk. Sure, thereís always room to improve but not at the expense of other players who will more than likely end up being better than Grichuk.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,145
    Better as in better BA? Because Teo is the only prospect that has comparable raw tools.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,634
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Better as in better BA? Because Teo is the only prospect that has comparable raw tools.
    I'm of the belief that Teoscar and Alford will both be better than him. At this point in time I'm just more in favour of trying the likes of DSJ and Pompey over him. Grichuk basically had identical 2016 and 2017 seasons statistically. A median SLG% of .477 over those 2 seasons was respectable but not when you whiff just a hair over 1/3 of the time and can't hit north of .240. All this talk of "untapped potential" doesn't excite me one bit but we need to hope someone else buys into it. Even if it's at a discount price.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,145
    Still better than Woodward.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    17,564
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I'm of the belief that Teoscar and Alford will both be better than him. At this point in time I'm just more in favour of trying the likes of DSJ and Pompey over him. Grichuk basically had identical 2016 and 2017 seasons statistically. A median SLG% of .477 over those 2 seasons was respectable but not when you whiff just a hair over 1/3 of the time and can't hit north of .240. All this talk of "untapped potential" doesn't excite me one bit but we need to hope someone else buys into it. Even if it's at a discount price.
    Exactly at .080 or whatever his average is, you may as well even give Dwight Smith a shot... he'll at least give you and he'll just be greatful for employment in the majors at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •