Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Identity Politics has tribalized society - change my mind

Left wing identity politics is the reason politics and society has become tribalized where you have your group of people and you can't associate or agree with ideas or people from the other group, whoever they may be. Agree or Disagree?

The Lost Boys of PSD

Replace "left" with "right" and you nailed it.

That awkward moment when most people up in arms about identity politics engage in them themselves.

"It's impossible to be a white male these days! "Family" values are under attack! Baby murderers! Stop making everything about race! Feminism is a cancer! SJW and PC police are too much! Doctors shouldn't have to treat a transgender person if they don't want to!" etc.--are all rooted in identity politics, most just don't want to admit it because...well, lol, it's easy to see why. The point is, the opposite side of what you are so adamant about not being discussed is still identity politics. There's nothing wrong with that either, it's just simply silly to pretend this issue is limited to one side of the political spectrum.

That, and it's a bit naive as well. You can attack the left all you want for driving identity politics narratives (sometimes to the point of exhaustion), but if the right is going to continue to propose and support legislature (as well as far less subtle **** like admitting on tape that they want to suppress black voters), why would you expect the left to not take up those narratives? The discussion starts for a reason, but once you start to bring that reason up, you're labeled a SJW and going too far.

Of course there are many instances where the left gets hyperbolic and pedantic with it. But to act like this isn't at all in response to actual legislative procedures and ideological movements on the right is obtuse. Identity politics have never been a one party issue.

Quote Originally Posted by browski234 View Post
    That awkward moment when most people up in arms about identity politics engage in them themselves.

"It's impossible to be a white male these days! "Family" values are under attack! Baby murderers! Stop making everything about race! Feminism is a cancer! SJW and PC police are too much! Doctors shouldn't have to treat a transgender person if they don't want to!" etc.--are all rooted in identity politics, most just don't want to admit it because...well, lol, it's easy to see why. The point is, the opposite side of what you are so adamant about not being discussed is still identity politics. There's nothing wrong with that either, it's just simply silly to pretend this issue is limited to one side of the political spectrum.

That, and it's a bit naive as well. You can attack the left all you want for driving identity politics narratives (sometimes to the point of exhaustion), but if the right is going to continue to propose and support legislature (as well as far less subtle **** like admitting on tape that they want to suppress black voters), why would you expect the left to not take up those narratives? The discussion starts for a reason, but once you start to bring that reason up, you're labeled a SJW and going too far.

Of course there are many instances where the left gets hyperbolic and pedantic with it. But to act like this isn't at all in response to actual legislative procedures and ideological movements on the right is obtuse. Identity politics have never been a one party issue.
    All of this.

It always the other guy who is the problem especially if they disagree with me.

I think when you focus on identity instead of the problems people face you end up creating tribalism and make things worse.

If you want to examine why a certain demographic White Men, Black Women, (Bi-Racial Pan-sexual Transgender 2 spirit Other-kin) etc are having w/e problem, then you should focus on the cause of the problem, and it's usually economic or educationally based. Since usually the problems that people examine are things like 'Wage Gap' which doesn't really exist.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Since usually the problems that people examine are things like 'Wage Gap' which doesn't really exist.
    Do you mean that the “wage gap” does not exist or that it isn’t a problem in America?

I blame millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I blame millennials.
    They are cancer.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Left wing identity politics is the reason politics and society has become tribalized where you have your group of people and you can't associate or agree with ideas or people from the other group, whoever they may be. Agree or Disagree?
    Disagree. This is human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Do you mean that the “wage gap” does not exist or that it isn’t a problem in America?
    This is a sticky wicket. The "real" wage gap is not 24% if you look into things like choice. It's more like 4-8% when you control for job, education, and choice. But that 4-8% does not address the issues that we have in society that pushes women towards different fields.

All that said presenting the wage gap as 76 cents to the dollar gives those who want to rail against it ammunition. But presenting all the nuance of waters down the message, and people don't want to listen to the nuance.
    Last edited by flips333; 04-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

All groups form a culture. While different cultures can coexist, there can only be one dominant culture.

The US has 350 million people forming numerous cultures. However, over 200+ years a dominant American culture has evolved. The United States is an English speaking Western democratic style nation that follows a Judeo-Christian set of laws. The United States is a capitalist country. It believes in the unencumbered accumulation of wealth. It has a laissez faire approach to its citizens. The US espouses many forms of freedoms, it is a tolerant nation, it is a polite and friendly nation, it is a caring and generous nation.

Before you just dismiss this theory, look around. A business has its own culture. When a new employee tells you how great it was at his last job, he doesn’t fit in. Ask anyone from New York City who moved somewhere else. They have a penchant for telling others how much better things are in NYC (pizza, museums, restaurants etc.) that just grates on their new friends. Couples getting married often run into culture clashes with their inlaws. These are simple everyday examples that occur all the time at small levels. When people group themselves culturally and keep pushing that culture problems arise.

This is the biggest drawback to multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism is not colorful as everyone likes to think it is. Overall it is more divisive than inclusive. People like to call America the melting pot…and it was at one time. Now it’s more like the cafeteria tray…lots of stuff but kept in different compartments, no need to blend.

Holding onto your native culture is fine, but trying to push it into becoming part of the American mainstream just isn’t going to work and doing so is going to make that culture suffer.

Most Americans don’t care what you are, they care who you are. If you’re going to keep reminding everyone what you are, you will be ignored.

Most Americans are color blind. Yet, blacks seem to go our of their way to keep telling us they’re black (names, hair style, clothing, lingo, music, radio and TV stations etc). How is that working out? Hispanics seem to make no effort to learn the language. Everything public is in two languages. Places in Texas accept pesos as payment. Places in California fly the Mexican flag (this has even happened in some schools.) Some Muslim communities have their own court systems. Many have multiple wives. Some American Indians are still talking to the wind and listening to the bears.

None of this is wrong per se…if that’s what they want to do. It just clashes with the mainstream American culture and it doesn’t get them anywhere. Multiculturalism keeps these secondary cultures at a disadvantage. Then they complain.

One thing that Americans don’t have is a lot of time on their hands. You want to push your little cultural traits, fine. Most people will just shrug and ignore you. They pass you by without giving you a second look. The only people that care about your little national flag air freshener dangling from your mirror are others from the same place. No one else cares or is impressed. They don’t have the time to give it a thought.

Point of all this, before I’m branded as a racist, a lot of people could improve their odds by making a better attempt at fitting in. Americas as a whole want to like you, want to hire you, want to get along with you. Try meeting the mainstream half way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    None of this is wrong per se…if that’s what they want to do. It just clashes with the mainstream American culture and it doesn’t get them anywhere. Multiculturalism keeps these secondary cultures at a disadvantage. Then they complain.
    What exactly do you define as mainstream American culture? I'm pretty sure that doesn't have a definition
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    All groups form a culture. While different cultures can coexist, there can only be one dominant culture.

The US has 350 million people forming numerous cultures. However, over 200+ years a dominant American culture has evolved. The United States is an English speaking Western democratic style nation that follows a Judeo-Christian set of laws. The United States is a capitalist country. It believes in the unencumbered accumulation of wealth. It has a laissez faire approach to its citizens.

The US espouses many forms of freedoms, it is a tolerant nation, it is a polite and friendly nation, it is a caring and generous nation.
    the most mass shooting, highest prison population and infant mortality rate in the western world, to said a few, lets not get silly with the patting on the back on how america is the greatest nation. It isn't a nation running on christian policies we have to many kids going hunger in this country for you spew this nonsense. Plus this post is showing your intolerant for different cultures to the point of blaming them for our problems.

Before you just dismiss this theory, look around. A business has its own culture. When a new employee tells you how great it was at his last job, he doesn’t fit in. Ask anyone from New York City who moved somewhere else. They have a penchant for telling others how much better things are in NYC (pizza, museums, restaurants etc.) that just grates on their new friends. Couples getting married often run into culture clashes with their inlaws. These are simple everyday examples that occur all the time at small levels. When people group themselves culturally and keep pushing that culture problems arise.

This is the biggest drawback to multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism is not colorful as everyone likes to think it is. Overall it is more divisive than inclusive. People like to call America the melting pot…and it was at one time. Now it’s more like the cafeteria tray…lots of stuff but kept in different compartments, no need to blend.

Holding onto your native culture is fine, but trying to push it into becoming part of the American mainstream just isn’t going to work and doing so is going to make that culture suffer.

Most Americans don’t care what you are, they care who you are. If you’re going to keep reminding everyone what you are, you will be ignored.

Most Americans are color blind. Yet, blacks seem to go our of their way to keep telling us they’re black (names, hair style, clothing, lingo, music, radio and TV stations etc). How is that working out? Hispanics seem to make no effort to learn the language. Everything public is in two languages. Places in Texas accept pesos as payment. Places in California fly the Mexican flag (this has even happened in some schools.) Some Muslim communities have their own court systems. Many have multiple wives. Some American Indians are still talking to the wind and listening to the bears.

One thing that Americans don’t have is a lot of time on their hands. You want to push your little cultural traits, fine. Most people will just shrug and ignore you. They pass you by without giving you a second look. The only people that care about your little national flag air freshener dangling from your mirror are others from the same place. No one else cares or is impressed. They don’t have the time to give it a thought.

Point of all this, before I’m branded as a racist, a lot of people could improve their odds by making a better attempt at fitting in. Americas as a whole want to like you, want to hire you, want to get along with you. Try meeting the mainstream half way.
    No, you aren't a racist, but I don't think you are comfortable moving from a over dominance of the eruopean-america culture to a more diverse culture. Bottom line, if you strip away all the culturing flavoring, we all want the same thing, a secure place to live to raise our children and live the way we wish without being attack for it.

You don't want to see gays showing affection in public, or Black celebrating their hertiage, but you have no problem with Irish parades and coloring rivers green to celebrate it. Everybody wears "Kiss me I am Irish" Italian have had parades and celebrated their heritage, but no problems there. Large percentage of mexicans knows two language, how many languages do you know? I have had white culture rammed down my throat since I was born and if I wish to express my blackness, what the hell is wrong with that?. Jazz, the roots of rock and roll, learning about the struggle of slaves shouldn't be a problem for you because it don't concern you.

You aren't color blind because you can clearly see the different in people and it brothers you.

I didn't grow up with alot of black heroes or a sense of blackness outside what white america express it to be. 1961 is when I first when to grade school, so my culture was ignored. You could name the black faces on TV on one hand. Now, my culture flourish in media, Black Panther could never be realize in the 60's. White rappers and soul singers. White kids are growing up admiring black heroes and copying their style. I heard MLK's name mention many times during the recent kids protest, and I tear up a little because now he is recognized as a social leader not a black leader. Way far more whites love jazz and blues and support them by going to their concerts. Black kids are going into pre-dominant white sports, like hockey, gymnastics and swimming. Chinese kids are playing basketball and getting good at it. Hispanics into base ball. and they are bringing their culture with them. My church express christian-Judean principle as well as buddhism I love it.

Your discomfort warms my heart. What would you replace it with? The way it was before 1960? Go back to when america was great? All this is impossible because this country is to diverse for one ethnic group to dominate it's culture. Thank god.
    Last edited by WES445; 04-23-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    This is a sticky wicket. The "real" wage gap is not 24% if you look into things like choice. It's more like 4-8% when you control for job, education, and choice. But that 4-8% does not address the issues that we have in society that pushes women towards different fields.
    doesn't it also narrow when you factor in age?

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast