Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Go to a 6 Man Rotation?

A compelling argument has been made, with a map.

My only counter would be Flaherty's service time.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...-man-rotation/

Personally, I think the new analytics would be pointing the other way. Starters only going through the lineup twice, and carry as many RP's as you can.

I think it makes sense for this year only. Weaver and Flaherty need to keep building up for full seasons of innings, waino needs to finish out this season, and Wacha needs extra rest anyway. Martinez and Mikolas could probably go full seasons but extra rest for them now and again won’t hurt. And then there’s Reyes too who needs to find some starter innings too.

Then next year go with Martinez, Weaver, Flaherty, Reyes and Mikolas/Wacha

If we are going to do that I think you keep Flaherty in AAA for most of the year and have Reyes as that 6th starter when he comes back. Just ease him in like pitch limit of around 60 for first start 70 second start and 3rd you kinda evaluate him and see how successful he was and how much he labored with those amount of pitch count.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Personally, I think the new analytics would be pointing the other way. Starters only going through the lineup twice, and carry as many RP's as you can.
    I actually wish we had a 12 man swing rotation:

Every starter goes through a lineup twice, then is removed when the leadoff hitter comes up the third time for a long man reliever, who also goes through every lineup twice. You do this rotation every 5 days, and have 2 extra swing guys for extra inning games or situational specialties.

Problem is, it removes lefty/lefty and righty/righty advantages.

But you can manipulate it in some areas. Like Carlos Martinez day could allow him to go against a lineup a third time, and maybe on Brebbia's pen day, he is only allowed one time through a lineup.

It's a different thought process, and you can't just implement it day one. That is something you'd have to start off in the minors, developing guys to do.

It's worth noting that we have the 9th best rotation ERA- and 12th best FIP- in all of baseball, it's not really the issue.

Meanwhile, our bullpen is 27th in FIP- and 16th in ERA- and 24th WPA

We gotta improve the bullpen.

I like the idea... not sure the pitchers would, but from a statistics stand point, it would work. Especially in an organization as deep in SP's as the Cardinals are.