Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind...BOS is in a great spot right now, but they still need to keep getting better and at a fast rate.

As of now LBJ is still in the East. He and his team are declining but he's still the best player in the NBA. Generally come playoff time, the team with the best player wins.

AND we have a huge PHI problem. That team is on a meteoric rise right now. Embiid if he can stay healthy, is on track to be a top 5 NBA player. Simmons is looking like a top 10 guy in the near future. I don't think any of the guys on our roster have the top end potential that both Embiid and Simmons have.

Danny NEEDS to keep pushing the envelope and exploring bigger and better moves to keep ahead of PHI. Standing pat and developing at current rates for both teams...PHI will be better than us in a year or two.

It'd be nice to stand pat and just develop what we have. I fear that won't be good enough in short order. PHI and BOS are on track to own the east for the next 5 years. This has the makings of some throw back years...CHI/DET of the early 90's, BOS/PHI of the 80's.
    DA would push ahead even if Philly didn't look so daunting. If he doesn't/can't then we won't be Det/Chi, we'll be the Bucks of the 80's vs the C's, Pistons, 76'ers.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    That'd be an absolute haul for SA. I would not be willing to sacrifice that much for KL. I like what we have with Rozier and Brown. I'd be more willing to let Smart walk and draft a guard with our 1st pick or a defensive Center. Let Baynes go. Bring back Monroe. I'd like to see one season of our current team healthy before making another serious move. Only players I'd be willing to make a move for are AD and KAT
    Do you think Rozier is going to be here after his deal is over? To me it's Brown, two maybe greats but probably not, and roster filler.

I wonder if SA would take Hayward instead of Brown with an additional 1st thrown in (whichever they want). A lot less roster churn occurs as well (send them Rozier however), since the salaries line up, and Brown is after all not a finished product yet. With Brown and KL you're talking some serious D, and Tatum starting to grow into a PF role a bit next year and growing after that. Yikes. DA would have to rebuild the depth as he can.

Still, like to get more inside dope on KL's issues medical and otherwise before we did anything.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Do you think Rozier is going to be here after his deal is over? To me it's Brown, two maybe greats but probably not, and roster filler.

I wonder if SA would take Hayward instead of Brown with an additional 1st thrown in (whichever they want). A lot less roster churn occurs as well (send them Rozier however), since the salaries line up, and Brown is after all not a finished product yet. With Brown and KL you're talking some serious D, and Tatum starting to grow into a PF role a bit next year and growing after that. Yikes. DA would have to rebuild the depth as he can.

Still, like to get more inside dope on KL's issues medical and otherwise before we did anything.
    That's actually a good idea -- moving Hayward for Leonard instead of the kids. Something I was thinking about a few days ago during the game.

SA doesn't have the leverage to command Brown or Tatum AND picks AND additional players. Such a haul would be crazy. Danny Ainge wouldn't be that dumb.

Kawhi is an expiring with a ~phantom injury who played 9 games this season. And maybe seems like a malcontent. The Spurs aren't in the driver seat.

Hayward + Kings Pick + C's pick(s) + ancillary player or two.

Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    That's actually a good idea -- moving Hayward for Leonard instead of the kids. Something I was thinking about a few days ago during the game.

SA doesn't have the leverage to command Brown or Tatum AND picks AND additional players. Such a haul would be crazy. Danny Ainge wouldn't be that dumb.

Kawhi is an expiring with a ~phantom injury who played 9 games this season. And maybe seems like a malcontent. The Spurs aren't in the driver seat.

Hayward + Kings Pick + C's pick(s) + ancillary player or two.
    I just can't see why SAS would do that trade. Leverage between SAS and Leonard is irrelevant at this point. Other teams will be bidding hard for KL's services, we need to beat out their offers. Offering up Hayward, a player who's 30 and coming off a serious injury year 1 into a MAX plus a pick plus fillers is not a great trade offer. Other teams will offer more than that.

If SAS is going to trade KL they're going to want 1 of 2 things.

1. A player of equal value in their prime (highly unlikely)

2. A haul of young high upside players and draft picks.

Not a good player in his prime on a MAX and pick.

SAS is one of the top 3 franchises in the sport. They didn't get there by making bad trades.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Luckily Rozier will be an RFA after his current contract. No guarantee we can get him back but recent RFA deals suggest he won't get more than $10-12mil per. If that's the case, he should be back.

City of Champions

I just can't see why SAS would do that trade. Leverage between SAS and Leonard is irrelevant at this point. Other teams will be bidding hard for KL's services, we need to beat out their offers. Offering up Hayward, a player who's 30 and coming off a serious injury year 1 into a MAX plus a pick plus fillers is not a great trade offer. Other teams will offer more than that.

If SAS is going to trade KL they're going to want 1 of 2 things.

1. A player of equal value in their prime (highly unlikely)

2. A haul of young high upside players and draft picks.

Not a good player in his prime on a MAX and pick.

SAS is one of the top 3 franchises in the sport. They didn't get there by making bad trades.
    It's a fair point - SA isn't a dumb organization. But Kawhi has only played 8.99 more games than Hayward this season (obviously hammy < broken). In a league where you live and die by your assets, I would argue leverage is everything.

Imagine if the C's moved Brown; it takes Leonard until October-November to resume playing (?); then he declines the player option and bolts? Devastating trade for the C's.

Plus the Spurs aren't exactly a marquee FA destination. With the right medical clearance, this could land them a solid player in the short-term. Plus a legitimate top 5 pick in 2019 for the long.

I can't think of too many suitors in the trade market, can you?

Not saying it's going to happen. But the Spurs, IMO, are way too cornered to command controlled/up and coming stars.

It's a fair point - SA isn't a dumb organization. But Kawhi has only played 8.99 more games than Hayward this season (obviously hammy < broken). In a league where you live and die by your assets, I would argue leverage is everything.

Imagine if the C's moved Brown; it takes Leonard until October-November to resume playing (?); then he declines the player option and bolts? Devastating trade for the C's.

Plus the Spurs aren't exactly a marquee FA destination. With the right medical clearance, this could land them a solid player in the short-term. Plus a legitimate top 5 pick in 2019 for the long.

I can't think of too many suitors in the trade market, can you?

Not saying it's going to happen. But the Spurs, IMO, are way too cornered to command controlled/up and coming stars.
    I think there would be plenty of suitors in the trade market. Some realistic others not. 90% of the league would have legitimate interest. 35-40% probably have the assets to do it. And letís say 10-20% would be legitimate contenders for his services (Boston being one of them).

Teams with the firepower that would make legitimate sense for a deal (centerpiece)

Celtics (Brown/Tatum)
    Lakers (Ingram)
    76ers (Fultz)
    Suns (Jackson)
    Knicks (Porzingas)
    Mavericks (Smith JR)
    Nuggets (Murray)

I would say these would be the most likely teams. Could add a few others to the list but these are teams on the rise/owners who are willing to make big splashes for big names. Some have more assets than others while others are more of a destination plus still have a legitimate young centerpiece that is controllable. I would say every player here would be more attractive to SAS than Hayward at the moment. (Not better than Hayward, just more attractive based on age/upside/contract/controllable years)
    Last edited by Oakmont_4; 04-23-2018 at 07:12 PM.

I think there would be plenty of suitors in the trade market. Some realistic others not. 90% of the league would have legitimate interest. 35-40% probably have the assets to do it. And letís say 10-20% would be legitimate contenders for his services (Boston being one of them).

Teams with the firepower that would make legitimate sense for a deal (centerpiece)

Celtics (Brown/Tatum)
    Lakers (Ingram)
    76ers (Fultz)
    Suns (Jackson)
    Knicks (Porzingas)
    Mavericks (Smith JR)
    Nuggets (Murray)

I would say these would be the most likely teams. Could add a few others to the list but these are teams on the rise/owners who are willing to make big splashes for big names. Some have more assets than others while others are more of a destination plus still have a legitimate young centerpiece that is controllable. I would say every player here would be more attractive to SAS than Hayward at the moment. (Not better than Hayward, just more attractive based on age/upside/contract/controllable years)
    Going through that list I don't think any are a slam dunk. Lakers could swap Lonzo for Ingram, but I doubt SA wants the Ball circus. And if C's would have to give up Brown/Tatum, why wouldn't DEN have to give Jokic?

Lakers - Ingram not a centerpiece
    76ers - Fultz too many questions (right now)
    Suns - KL won't re-sign there
    Knicks - Porzingis' value too low > ACL tear
    Mavericks - probably won't re-sign (one year makes no sense for team)
    Nuggets - won't re-sign (one year makes no sense for team).

Going through that list I don't think any are a slam dunk. Lakers could swap Lonzo for Ingram, but I doubt SA wants the Ball circus. And if C's would have to give up Brown/Tatum, why wouldn't DEN have to give Jokic?

Lakers - Ingram not a centerpiece
    76ers - Fultz too many questions (right now)
    Suns - KL won't re-sign there
    Knicks - Porzingis' value too low > ACL tear
    Mavericks - probably won't re-sign (one year makes no sense for team)
    Nuggets - won't re-sign (one year makes no sense for team).
    Ah I didn't realize you were in KL's inner circle and know where he'll re-sign.

Ingram is absolutely a center piece...He's 20 years old and averaged 16, 5 and 4. He still has immense upside.

Fultz has questions but he had them coming out of the draft and he still went #1. He's so young and still has huge upside.

Porzingis value is low but he's still has centerpiece value if his medicals check out. He's a 7 footer who can do it all when healthy. Not many like him in the NBA. That's centerpiece value.

The team who owns his rights can offer the ridiculous super max to him...No other team trying to sign him can come close to that dollar amount.

City of Champions

Ah I didn't realize you were in KL's inner circle and know where he'll re-sign.

Ingram is absolutely a center piece...He's 20 years old and averaged 16, 5 and 4. He still has immense upside.

Fultz has questions but he had them coming out of the draft and he still went #1. He's so young and still has huge upside.

Porzingis value is low but he's still has centerpiece value if his medicals check out. He's a 7 footer who can do it all when healthy. Not many like him in the NBA. That's centerpiece value.

The team who owns his rights can offer the ridiculous super max to him...No other team trying to sign him can come close to that dollar amount.
    It's called deductive reasoning - Nuggets, Suns, Mavs and even Knicks aren't free agent destinations in a Super Team league. Why would a top 5 player like Leonard want to go from a preeminent franchise in San Antonio to a bottom feeder/mediocre organization and re-sign through age 30-31??

On the flip side, depleting assets for a one-year rental makes absolutely no sense for most of those teams. What does one year of Kawhi in Phoenix offer the Suns? Do you think he'll sprinkle the team with championship pixy dust or something?

And I think it's insane to dismiss Hayward as a trade piece while still considering a 7'3 big, fresh off an ACL tear -- who, BTW, could miss all of 2019.

It's called deductive reasoning - Nuggets, Suns, Mavs and even Knicks aren't free agent destinations in a Super Team league. Why would a top 5 player like Leonard want to go from a preeminent franchise in San Antonio to a bottom feeder/mediocre organization and re-sign through age 30-31??
    Money - simply, the team owning his rights can offer more...Lot's more.

Then you have city/location when it comes to Knicks, Nuggets and Mavericks...All big time cities/media markets...Den/Dal aren't BOS, CHI, LA but they're the next tier down and certainly in the realm of SA.

When it comes to PHO you'd have Booker to play next to plus a top 5 pick. That team could rise in a hurry adding a player like KL. Once you have KL you attract other Free Agents...Maybe Paul George considers signing down there with KL and Booker in place. PHO has attracted Free Agents in the past...DJ, Hill, Nash - they've also had big name stay or traded for and stay...Kidd, Barkley, Chandler, Stodemire

On the flip side, depleting assets for a one-year rental makes absolutely no sense for most of those teams. What does one year of Kawhi in Phoenix offer the Suns? Do you think he'll sprinkle the team with championship pixy dust or something?
    His presence along with Bookers attracts other Free Agents. Nobody wanted to come to BOS until they took a chance and traded for KG

And I think it's insane to dismiss Hayward as a trade piece while still considering a 7'3 big, fresh off an ACL tear -- who, BTW, could miss all of 2019.
    It's not insane...It's based off every major Super Star trade in recent history. They're always traded for young centerpieces plus draft capital...Not 30 year old players 1 year into a MAX coming off an injury. It's just as insane to suggest Hayward when you actually look at history.

I find it funny how all your posts never account for history but what you're feelings on the matter are. Don't worry about facts...Especially when you have feelings and "deductive reasoning" to back you....

Super Star trades in the last 10-12 years

We can start with KG - centered around a young talent in Al Jefferson
    Shaq to Miami - centered around a young Caron Butler
    Kevin Love to CLE - centered around Wiggins
    Paul George to OKC - centered around Oladipo
    Jimmy Butler to MIN - centered around Dunn and LaVine
    Melo to NYK - centered around a handful of young players and picks

None of these trades happen centered around a middle aged player on a MAX coming off injury. Butler and George are both possibly 1-2 year rentals, their teams still pulled the trigger. KG was a risk, Danny pulled the trigger. Love needed to be re-signed, CLE pulled the trigger. Melo needed to be re-signed NYK pulled the trigger.
    Last edited by Oakmont_4; 04-24-2018 at 01:19 PM.

City of Champions

Money - simply, the team owning his rights can offer more...Lot's more.

Then you have city/location when it comes to Knicks, Nuggets and Mavericks...All big time cities/media markets...Den/Dal aren't BOS, CHI, LA but they're the next tier down and certainly in the realm of SA.

When it comes to PHO you'd have Booker to play next to plus a top 5 pick. That team could rise in a hurry adding a player like KL. Once you have KL you attract other Free Agents...Maybe Paul George considers signing down there with KL and Booker in place. PHO has attracted Free Agents in the past...DJ, Hill, Nash - they've also had big name stay or traded for and stay...Kidd, Barkley, Chandler, Stodemire

His presence along with Bookers attracts other Free Agents. Nobody wanted to come to BOS until they took a chance and traded for KG

It's not insane...It's based off every major Super Star trade in recent history. They're always traded for young centerpieces plus draft capital...Not 30 year old players 1 year into a MAX coming off an injury. It's just as insane to suggest Hayward when you actually look at history.

I find it funny how all your posts never account for history but what you're feelings on the matter are. Don't worry about facts...Especially when you have feelings and "deductive reasoning" to back you....

Super Star trades in the last 10-12 years

We can start with KG - centered around a young talent in Al Jefferson
    Shaq to Miami - centered around a young Caron Butler
    Kevin Love to CLE - centered around Wiggins
    Paul George to OKC - centered around Oladipo
    Jimmy Butler to MIN - centered around Dunn and LaVine
    Melo to NYK - centered around a handful of young players and picks

None of these trades happen centered around a middle aged player on a MAX coming off injury. Butler and George are both possibly 1-2 year rentals, their teams still pulled the trigger. KG was a risk, Danny pulled the trigger. Love needed to be re-signed, CLE pulled the trigger. Melo needed to be re-signed NYK pulled the trigger.
    Of course there's a history of outgoing young talent in superstar trades. Pretty Captain Obvious. But I don't recall Al nursing a career-derailing injury at the time of the of the KG deal. If you're going to suggest Porzingis as a centerpiece (who, again, could miss all of 2019 and may never be the same player) then Hayward + picks + ancillary players should be on the table IMO.

And explain why the C's, to acquire a top 5 player, would have to ship out one of Tatum or Brown -- yet Phoenix gets to keep their Tatum/Brown in Booker? On a bottom feeder team, trading for Kawhi means flushing out whatever core you have which makes the trade an almost zero sum which keeps the team at the bottom which makes him less likely to re-sign long-term.

Only way trades pan out for those aforementioned teams is if they augment Kawhi to a roster without touching the higher end talent. Which isn't possible ... unless Phoenix lands #1 this year, then SAS parlays that into another player in a separate trade. And still: adding Leonard to a mix of Booker, Len, Chandler would probably take another 2-3 years to compete with Golden State or Houston.

I've heard Kawhi has been frustrated with the inability to allure FA's in SA. It's not Miami or LA, you're right. But if players aren't going there now (great organization + coach + player in KL) I just don't see why those fortunes would change in another 2nd tier NBA city with a fledgling program.
    Last edited by elements1985; 04-24-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Of course there's a history of outgoing young talent in superstar trades. Pretty Captain Obvious. But I don't recall Al nursing a career-derailing injury at the time of the of the KG deal. If you're going to suggest Porzingis as a centerpiece (who, again, could miss all of 2019 and may never be the same player) then Hayward + picks + ancillary players should be on the table IMO.
    The Knicks could offer Porzingis (centerpiece) + Nitkila + top 5 pick. >>> Hayward, future SAC pick and ancillary players. Then the Knicks have cap room to bring in another big name or two to play alongside KL. Would LBJ and George be tempted to go to NYK in the big apple and form their own big 3? I don't see why that's out of the question...

And explain why the C's, to acquire a top 5 player, would have to ship out one of Tatum or Brown -- yet Phoenix gets to keep their Tatum/Brown in Booker? On a bottom feeder team, trading for Kawhi means flushing out whatever core you have which makes the trade an almost zero sum which keeps the team at the bottom which makes him less likely to re-sign long-term

Only way trades pan out for those aforementioned teams is if they augment Kawhi to a roster without touching the higher end talent. Which isn't possible ... unless Phoenix lands #1 this year, then SAS parlays that into another player in a separate trade. And still: adding Leonard to a mix of Booker, Len, Chandler would probably take another 2-3 years to compete with Golden State or Houston.
    Because Jackson = Tatum. Booker = Brown. I'd never trade both for KL...What's the difference if BOS trades one or the other or PHO trades one or the other. It's all the same. You're assuming that PHO doesn't have other attractive young talent they can use to reshape their roster around KL and Booker/Jackson... Chriss, Bender, Payton, Ulis all have trade value that could be used to enhance the roster around their core...And again...They have cap space to bring in more.

PHO offer
    Jackson or Booker
    Chandler
    Bender
    Chriss
    MIA 1st
    Multiple PHO future firsts

Much better offer than your proposed Hayward offer.

Knight
    Leonard
    Booker/Jackson

Plus $60-70mil in cap space.
    I've heard Kawhi has been frustrated with the inability to allure FA's in SA. It's not Miami or LA, you're right. But if players aren't going there now (great organization + coach + player in KL) I just don't see why those fortunes would change in another 2nd tier NBA city with a fledgling program.
    LaMarcus Aldridge isn't a big name? Besides that, SAS has been competing for 2 decades and haven't had the cap flexibility these other teams have to ADD players. SAS always offered a great organization and coach but below market deals. NYK, PHO and the like can offer MAX money plus cap flexibility to bring in 1 or 2 Super Stars along side KL.
    Last edited by Oakmont_4; 04-24-2018 at 03:50 PM.

City of Champions

The Knicks could offer Porzingis (centerpiece) + Nitkila + top 5 pick. >>> Hayward, future SAC pick and ancillary players. Then the Knicks have cap room to bring in another big name or two to play alongside KL. Would LBJ and George be tempted to go to NYK in the big apple and form their own big 3? I don't see why that's out of the question...

Because Jackson = Tatum. Booker = Brown. I'd never trade both for KL...What's the difference if BOS trades one or the other or PHO trades one or the other. It's all the same. You're assuming that PHO doesn't have other attractive young talent they can use to reshape their roster around KL and Booker/Jackson... Chriss, Bender, Payton, Ulis all have trade value that could be used to enhance the roster around their core...And again...They have cap space to bring in more.

PHO offer
    Jackson or Booker
    Chandler
    Bender
    Chriss
    MIA 1st
    Multiple PHO future firsts

Much better offer than your proposed Hayward offer.

Knight
    Leonard
    Booker/Jackson

Plus $60-70mil in cap space.

LaMarcus Aldridge isn't a big name? Besides that, SAS has been competing for 2 decades and haven't had the cap flexibility these other teams have to ADD players. SAS always offered a great organization and coach but below market deals. NYK, PHO and the like can offer MAX money plus cap flexibility to bring in 1 or 2 Super Stars along side KL.
    On paper that Phoenix offers is better, I agree. But think from Kawhi Leonard's perspective: the roster is gutted, you're likely out of the top 5 FA sweepstakes this summer (KD, LBJ, CP3, PG, DC), the quality picks are gone (not sure if you included '18 lotto) and you're left foraging through tiers 2-4 in free agency. For 2018-19 in the West, the ceiling is 5-6 seed.

Then at season's end (after Kawhi shows he's healthy and again dominant) he jettisons for greener pastures. Then the Suns spend the next 5-7 years picking up the pieces. And the entire front office is out of work....

If your overall point is that other teams, on paper, could A) put together a better package than Hayward/other pieces from C's or B) including Tatum/Brown is necessary in a competitive trade market for a superstar, I'll concede those two points in theory. In fact, if this were Anthony Davis I would agree 100%.

But this league is about slowly acquiring assets and there's just no way the Suns make that gamble on (what I think is) a one-year deal and walk. Remember that most big trades these days entail great player on a bad team going to a contender -- here it'd be the opposite. And I don't see a great player on the Suns roster (assuming Booker is dealt) to anchor Leonard like Paul did KG.

Had the BK pick projected to be high lotto, I think a more likely trade would be CLE's 1 + Love for Leonard. That would keep Lebron happy and he has the cachet to either keep Kawhi for 2 years or long-term. But how many good teams have the opportunity?

I do think leverage matters here and the SAS just don't seem to have much of it. UNLESS Philly sneaks in with a great pick/package independent of Fultz and creates a bidding war with the C's .
    Last edited by elements1985; 04-24-2018 at 07:35 PM.

If your overall point is that other teams, on paper, could A) put together a better package than Hayward/other pieces from C's or B) including Tatum/Brown is necessary in a competitive trade market for a superstar, I'll concede those two points in theory. If this were Anthony Davis I would agree 100%.
    Yes this is my point. TRUST me, I would LOVE to trade Hayward+SAC+pieces...In a heart beat. I just know there will be better offers out there. FO's around the league, especially within the bottom feeders like PHO and SAC who have been drafting in the top 5 for years with no end in sight will be very willing to take a gamble on a top 5 player...Even at the risk of losing them after a year. Their gamble will be that with KL in place and another piece (like Jackson or Booker) plus a top pick plus money, AND being able to offer KL a super max, that he'd stay. The only other option is to keep drafting in the top 5 until something goes their way. But why would they expect it to at this point? It hasn't for the past 5 years.

But this league is about slowly acquiring assets and there's just no way the Suns make that gamble on (what I think is) a one-year deal and walk. Remember that most big trades these days entail great player on a bad team going to a contender. Here it'd be the opposite. And I don't see a great player on the Suns roster (assuming Booker is dealt) to anchor Leonard.
    The Suns have been acquiring assets. Do you see how many 20-23 year old former top picks are on their roster? They can't keep fielding a roster of 20 year olds forever, eventually they need to put their chips on the table and cash them

Had the BK pick projected to be high lotto, I think a more likely trade would be CLE's 1 + Love for Leonard. That would keep Lebron happy and he has the cachet to either keep Kawhi for 2 years or long-term. But how many good teams have the opportunity?
    That's a possibility as well. If I'm SAS I'd take that deal over the Hayward deal.

I do think leverage matters here and the SAS don't have much of it.
    Leverage matters a little. Then again it doesn't, SAS could easily risk losing him and letting him walk. Obviously not ideal so I have no doubt they'll field offers. And when they do...There will be many. And most from desperate bottom feeding teams desperate to get out of the lottery. Whether its PHO or SAC who have been there forever. Whether its NYK or DAL who have owners that love big names and hate being at the bottom of the league. Or a team like DEN that's sick of being good but not real good and need to take a risk to get out of NBA purgatory and either win or at least if they lose him after a year they can actually tank and get into the top 5.

City of Champions

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast