Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Is the Virgin Birth Scientifically Impossible

Skeptics have often stated that it is impossible for a virgin to give birth to a child. While it would be a scientific anomaly to give birth while a virgin, it is not a scientific impossibility. This has been known to happen in nature, although it is rare. When it does happen, all offspring are female, since the female has two X chromosomes, so that the offspring inherit, also, two X chromosomes. However, it could be possible in humans for a woman to give birth to a male. The way that it could happen is if the woman had both an X chromosome and Y chromosome, which occurs in 1 in 5 million women. So, this possibility cannot be completely ruled out as impossible.

Of course, the Bible describes the virgin birth as a miracle that resulted from the action of the Holy Spirit.1 We don't know exactly what was involved, but it would probably require at least some genetic source from the Holy Spirit.

Regardless of the method by which Jesus was conceived, it would have been very risky to document and claim that He was born of a virgin. In the Middle East there were "honor killings" for women who conceived out of wedlock, so to speak of a virgin birth was extremely dishonorable. In fact, the Bible alludes to some disparaging remarks made by the opponents of Jesus.2 In addition, if you look at the anti-Christian literature at the time, much of it focused on this aspect of Christianity. This makes one wonder why, if Christians were just making up a religion, they say something that would offend virtually everybody in the Middle East. It makes no sense to make up something offensive, unless it were true.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Skeptics have often stated that it is impossible for a virgin to give birth to a child. While it would be a scientific anomaly to give birth while a virgin, it is not a scientific impossibility. This has been known to happen in nature, although it is rare. When it does happen, all offspring are female, since the female has two X chromosomes, so that the offspring inherit, also, two X chromosomes. However, it could be possible in humans for a woman to give birth to a male. The way that it could happen is if the woman had both an X chromosome and Y chromosome, which occurs in 1 in 5 million women. So, this possibility cannot be completely ruled out as impossible.

Of course, the Bible describes the virgin birth as a miracle that resulted from the action of the Holy Spirit.1 We don't know exactly what was involved, but it would probably require at least some genetic source from the Holy Spirit.

Regardless of the method by which Jesus was conceived, it would have been very risky to document and claim that He was born of a virgin. In the Middle East there were "honor killings" for women who conceived out of wedlock, so to speak of a virgin birth was extremely dishonorable. In fact, the Bible alludes to some disparaging remarks made by the opponents of Jesus.2 In addition, if you look at the anti-Christian literature at the time, much of it focused on this aspect of Christianity. This makes one wonder why, if Christians were just making up a religion, they say something that would offend virtually everybody in the Middle East. It makes no sense to make up something offensive, unless it were true.
    What was the genetic source for the creation of Adam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes one wonder why, if Christians were just making up a religion, they say something that would offend virtually everybody in the Middle East. It makes no sense to make up something offensive, unless it were true.
    Quite possibly because when the miracle stories were composed, edited, and collected, Christianity was more engaged in spreading west to the Roman world, where miraculous births were not only accepted, they were required in order to validate divinity. See Paul’s letters; they are addressed to gatherings of Christians in Roman cities.

The virgin birth is usually not rejected on grounds of insufficient historical evidence. Rather, it is more often rejected on the presupposition that miracles are simply impossible.

History is crucial to Christianity because it keeps the Christian faith from degenerating into mythology. Unless the Bible is rooted in actual historical events, there is no reason to think that Jesus of Nazareth should be any more determinative for my life today than so-called gods like Thor, Odin or Zeus or any other mythological deity. History is the vital component in Christianity because it grounds faith in fact and keeps it from being mere myth.

Here are some historical evidences for the virgin birth of Jesus Christ:

Luke, A physician and world-class historian documented it

Modern archaeology Sir William Ramsay, affirms it

C.S.Lewis, An agnostic professor of mythology is convinced it is not a myth

Old Testament prophets predicted it centuries in advance,Isaiah 7:14 said, "Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: The virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

The earliest Christians believed it universally, verified by "The Apostle's Creed"

I don't think giving someones opinion on the virgin birth could really qualify as "evidence", or else we all have the same amount of "evidence" that refutes that stance too.

I also don't think mentioning the honor killings in the middle east today means you can automatically apply it to that time too, things are very different now.

I believe in the virgin birth because its mentioned in the Quran as a miracle, but I certainly can't see any possible way of arguing it as being scientifically sound. Nor would I necessarily care to, wether Jesus was born of a virgin or not doesn't make any difference in my day to day living. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

The virgin birth is usually not rejected on grounds of insufficient historical evidence. Rather, it is more often rejected on the presupposition that miracles are simply impossible.

History is crucial to Christianity because it keeps the Christian faith from degenerating into mythology. Unless the Bible is rooted in actual historical events, there is no reason to think that Jesus of Nazareth should be any more determinative for my life today than so-called gods like Thor, Odin or Zeus or any other mythological deity. History is the vital component in Christianity because it grounds faith in fact and keeps it from being mere myth.

Old Testament prophets predicted it centuries in advance,Isaiah 7:14 said, "Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: The virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

The earliest Christians believed it universally, verified by "The Apostle's Creed"
    Wow.

No, not at all. The Virgin birth is rejected because in the recorded history of humankind, there has yet to be even one documented case of a Virgin birth.

And no, the Biblical story of Jesus and Mary does not count as a “documented case.”

Not one of the aforementioned could even be remotely contrued as “evidence.”

Can a dead person come back to life?

Medicine is not yet at a stage where we really understand "death" as a physiological process perfectly, let alone how to "rectify" it.
    A dead person perhaps, one day, could be brought back to life. There is simply no way to tell.

Advances in biotechnology could enable scientists to bring extinct animals back from the grave.

We are in our very early stages of understanding science. You have just as much faith in believing these things are impossible as a person who is open to the possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Not one of the aforementioned could even be remotely contrued as “evidence.”
    Evidence based upon eye witness accountability.

You could challenge any historical evident without any type of trust in mankind.

For example, I think you naturally assuming I have an alternative agenda, as in I'm trying to convert you, when I'm simply trying to having a social conversation.

If you reject Christianity as a conspiracy, you could potentially be rejecting a path toward understanding science
    Last edited by kevin13697; 04-22-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    What was the genetic source for the creation of Adam?
    We would have to assume adam and eve or the first humans were not direct relatives otherwise there is an astonishingly high chance that their offspring would have been born with a serious birth defect.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Wow.

No, not at all. The Virgin birth is rejected because in the recorded history of humankind, there has yet to be even one documented case of a Virgin birth.

And no, the Biblical story of Jesus and Mary does not count as a “documented case.”
    At what age can a female become pregnant for example?

A girl became pregnant at the age of 5 in 1933, how far back to our record books go?

If it were to be true, Was Mary's virgin birth a once in a Billion year phenomenon or something guided by an a higher being?
    Last edited by kevin13697; 04-22-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Scientifically? Of course. But this is the Religion forum, not the science one.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    Scientifically? Of course. But this is the Religion forum, not the science one.
    Can you prove that a virgin birth is impossible?

Parthenogenesis can occur in both plants and animals
    Last edited by kevin13697; 04-22-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Can you prove that a virgin birth is impossible?

Parthenogenesis can occur in both plants and animals
    Science never actually proves anything. The sun could always rise in the west tomorrow. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I've had girls make call kinds of unfounded claims about who I ****ed or didn't. I'm supposed to buy this story from 2000 years ago?
    Last edited by ewing; 04-24-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

We would have to assume adam and eve or the first humans were not direct relatives otherwise there is an astonishingly high chance that their offspring would have been born with a serious birth defect.

At what age can a female become pregnant for example?

A girl became pregnant at the age of 5 in 1933, how far back to our record books go?

If it were to be true, Was Mary's virgin birth a once in a Billion year phenomenon or something guided by an a higher being?
    Wow again. We don't have to "assume" anything. The first humans evolved about 250,000 years ago from great apes and share a common ancestor with monkeys.

The following two questions do not have anything to do with the topoic at hand. And your third question is kind of like asking "Assuming it's true, was your mother upset when you raped her or did she enjoy it?" when there is no evidence to suggest you ever did any such thing.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 04-25-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast