Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Here is the thing though our defense rating was 111.1 this year (27th in league).
    Our defensive rating 2 years ago before Thibs, with Towns as rookie and Wiggins in 2nd year, and pre adding Taj and Butler to help in that area we were 110.1 (28th in the league).

Thibs, the moves he made, development of our youth have all lead to a defense that is still bottom 5 in the league and hasn't shown much progress. I agree defense is supposed to be the area he helped out but really it hasn't gotten much better since he got here (and honestly it should be getting better naturally as Towns while still not great has clearly improved, as has Wiggins even etc. even without said additions).
    I feel a lot of it comes down to capability vs mentality. Butler can push players to play defense but it needs to be an every night effort. We showed against Denver in the last game of the season that we capable at times. However, defense combined with playing a ton of minutes on a nightly basis is a lot of hard work. Something that I don't feel in the modern NBA of 3 pointers and fast past games can be sustained by a single player for a duration of 35+ minutes a game. He needs to use our bench and get some defensive stoppers in order to up our efficiency. I don't think its system I think its general fatigue and wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolves88 View Post
    I feel a lot of it comes down to capability vs mentality. Butler can push players to play defense but it needs to be an every night effort. We showed against Denver in the last game of the season that we capable at times. However, defense combined with playing a ton of minutes on a nightly basis is a lot of hard work. Something that I don't feel in the modern NBA of 3 pointers and fast past games can be sustained by a single player for a duration of 35+ minutes a game. He needs to use our bench and get some defensive stoppers in order to up our efficiency. I don't think its system I think its general fatigue and wear and tear.
    Sure I partially agree with this that there are other things like fatigue factoring in etc. but much of this falls on coach/GM anyways too. We really should have improved there by now natuarally, made trades to get there, and it is his specialty. Disappointing to still be so low and even if it is what you say, again, that's coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Sure I partially agree with this that there are other things like fatigue factoring in etc. but much of this falls on coach/GM anyways too. We really should have improved there by now natuarally, made trades to get there, and it is his specialty. Disappointing to still be so low and even if it is what you say, again, that's coaching.

The pace of play now is just too fast for a defensive philosophy that exists in thibs system. The only way we will be able to improve our defense is to be able to have high pressure off the bench defenders. A player like Forbes from the spurs would go a long ways if he is given consistent minutes. It's impossible to play a high level of defense with the helter skelter offense we have. It takes SO much energy to be able to play one on one ball without a structured offense. I can't disagree its on Thibs as far as rotations. A players mental capacity also decreases as the they get fatigued. It's hard to read and comprehend a game when your exerting so much energy. It's even harder to play adequate defense when another team is on a run or hitting hard shots. I'd venture to guess in the playoffs and last 5 games of the season and possibly post season our defensive rating went up. It went up out of desire and need. However, it couldn't keep up with the pace that the rockets or some teams play with.

Simply put we are winning on talent alone right now rather then structure. If we create a consistent rotation with structure on offense our defense will improve drastically just off this alone. Players will also be more engaged as well. I don't think our team or our system are flawed fatally but I feel that some structure would really help this team. You would think for a coach that is so dedicated to basketball that he would realize his teams demise. I think thibs could be the opposite of D'Antoni. He can't structure a offensive plan but his defensive principles are solid. If he adopts like D' Antoni has done this last year we may be headed on the right trajectory.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567