Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: When is it okay to throw at a hitter?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anytime you want to intimidate a hitter

3 11.54%
  • To protect a teammate who got hit

13 50.00%
  • Never okay

10 38.46%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Is it okay to throw at a hitter?

In any circumstance, to you, is it okay?

To 'protect' a team mate, for revenge, etc. Is it acceptable?

Personal opinion, it's never okay, and suspensions need to be harsh whenever a hitter is intentionally thrown at (difficult to prove intent of course).

If its no where near the head then i think its fine. I mean if a player is going to show me or my teammates up or do something stupid on the field that is putting one of my guys health at risk, then im 100% throwing at them or brushing them back. Otherwise theyll never learn. Fines are chump change to them it doesnt do anything.

If a player stares me down or something then im not throwing at them, just going to strike them out then laugh or stare them down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it below the numbers and it's fine. Pitchers often times need to command the inside part of the plate and getting guys off the plate is critical. Also if your teammates get drilled all series I have no problem sending a message by hitting the guy in the ***.

Home to the Greatest Fans in College Football

I think it's completely stupid and out of touch. The whole objective of the pitcher is to get that batter out. By hitting the batter they not only do the exact opposite of what they set out to do, but they make their job harder. Now they have to be aware of that runner on first and the other team now has a higher chance of scoring. Why not sharpen your focus on striking that batter out? Bark at him afterwards if you want, but by putting him on base, you're ultimately losing the situation.

6. 04-12-2018, 02:26 PM
    Reason
    Trolling - Rush

I agree almost completely with Jeffy25. Throwing the ball at the other team is childish. Like, literally what a child would do. But, the league is culpable. There aren't harsh enough penalties to discourage the behavior.

I assume yesterday's Yankees and Red Sox fight was why Jeffy25 decided to post this thread. If the Yankee player had been properly punished by the rules for sliding into the Red Sox player then the Red Sox pitcher wouldn't have to needed to hit him with the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLead View Post
    I agree almost completely with Jeffy25. Throwing the ball at the other team is childish. Like, literally what a child would do. But, the league is culpable. There aren't harsh enough penalties to discourage the behavior.

I assume yesterday's Yankees and Red Sox fight was why Jeffy25 decided to post this thread. If the Yankee player had been properly punished by the rules for sliding into the Red Sox player then the Red Sox pitcher wouldn't have to needed to hit him with the pitch.
    They reviewed the slide immediately after the play and ruled it was legal.

I'm all for hitting guys as retaliation as long as it's not in the head. The Yanks Sox fight and Arenado fight are fun to watch. Wish it happened more tbh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes. If relief pitcher A (RP-A) gets up to bat against relief pitcher B (RP-B) and RP-B throws anything other than fast balls it is the responsibility of every relief pitcher in baseball to plunk RP-B the next time he gets an at bat against a relief pitcher.

My favorite "unwritten" rule.

I'm probably fine with it as long as its below the numbers.

I also think the spot in the game obviously matters too. If there are 1 or more outs, no men on base, and your team is not losing, then i say go for it. It puts a runner on (obviously) so i feel like that should out-weight any need for revenge or intimidation or whatever. Like yesterday, late in the game with Kelly when the Sox were down, i'd be pissed at that point.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is if you can do it as "safe" as possible and the risk/consequences of having the extra baserunner are low, I say why not haha

Definitely ok if the pitch is low and nowhere near the head.

Austin slid clearly with spikes up. That can be very dangerous for an infielder. It may have been a legal slide but it's easy not to put your spikes up into the fielders leg. He deserved it and should have walked his azz to first instead of slamming the bat and charging like a tough guy.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 04-12-2018 at 03:22 PM.

They need to let guys just duke it out and then be done. If the pitcher wants to throw at a guy then he needs to be ready to square up and face the consequences. Any player who comes off the bench gets a suspension.

Kind of like that old NES baseball game with robots lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I think it's completely stupid and out of touch. The whole objective of the pitcher is to get that batter out. By hitting the batter they not only do the exact opposite of what they set out to do, but they make their job harder. Now they have to be aware of that runner on first and the other team now has a higher chance of scoring. Why not sharpen your focus on striking that batter out? Bark at him afterwards if you want, but by putting him on base, you're ultimately losing the situation.
    All of this.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    They reviewed the slide immediately after the play and ruled it was legal.

I'm all for hitting guys as retaliation as long as it's not in the head. The Yanks Sox fight and Arenado fight are fun to watch. Wish it happened more tbh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Call me boring, but I think fighting is both childish and boring. I am not entertained by guys brawling or getting mad at each other like that.

Win the game, that's the ultimate way to settle scores.

It's okay if it's for a teammate but never at the head. That can kill a man. There are some situations that deserve this consequence. When I was a teen I threw right at a guys letters. In a previous inning he had slid into 2nd and completely went out of his way to spike our SS.

No ********, 1st pitch plunking and move on.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast