Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Less Than 1000 Fans Attend an MLB Game

Holy crap.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

Not Tampa or Miami. The White Sox. Paid attendance was announced at over 10,000. But less than 1000 showed up to the game. Yikes. I don’t even know what to say. That’s an embarrassment.

id love to be at a game like this. Hell you don't have to worry about beating the traffic or standing in lines.

apparently the time was changed from 7PM to 1PM start, but those pictures dont even look like 100 people, much less 1000
    hope the ushers just let anybody sit where they want at that point

Well week day, during the school year, while it's snowing outside and miserable out and a rebuilding team.

Why would you go if you are a Sox fan? Unless that's your day off and you just couldn't care about the weather?

Nobody is going to week day games until school is out unless it's a business related event/spoiler. And it's been snowing in Chicago.

It's much easier to get a foul ball in those conditions.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Well week day, during the school year, while it's snowing outside and miserable out and a rebuilding team.

Why would you go if you are a Sox fan? Unless that's your day off and you just couldn't care about the weather?

Nobody is going to week day games until school is out unless it's a business related event/spoiler. And it's been snowing in Chicago.
    Yeah baseball and cold weather cities don't mix well in early April. The season starts way too early. Not to mention fans are smarter to how teams are going to play. Aside from seeing the White Sox younger players, there isn't much reason to go to a team who will be lucky to win 70 games.

The Marlins had "7,000 people" in the stadium on Monday but it looked like half that and the only reason they had that many people is because most of them were Met fans.

Reminds me of the bad days for the Indians in "Major League".

I could never understand how MLB can confuse tickets sold with fans in the stadium. Tickets sold and attendance are not even close to being synonymous with each other.

Do they do it to make it look like MLB is thriving? Do they do it so it looks like fans are coming to the game?

Tickets sold is completely separate from attendance. The attendance was 974 people. Why can't they just say that?

ATTENDANCE: the number of people present at a particular event, function, or meeting.
    Last edited by thawv; 04-11-2018 at 08:52 AM.

I hope everyone got a good seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less Than 1000 Fans Attend an MLB Game

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I could never understand how MLB can confuse tickets sold with fans in the stadium. Tickets sold and attendance are not even close to being synonymous with each other.

Do they do it to make it look like MLB is thriving? Do they do it so it looks like fans are coming to the game?

Tickets sold is completely separate from attendance. The attendance was 974 people. Why can't they just say that?

ATTENDANCE: the number of people present at a particular event, function, or meeting.
    The National League used to count heads, not tickets sold. A long time ago the AL started counting tickets to pump up their attendance numbers to appear competitive with the Senior Circuit since the ALs numbers were lagging — especially since the NL was perceived as the “modern” league with newer stadiums, AstroTurf, teams in bigger cities overall, umpire uniforms (AL home plate umps used giant pads to protect their chests while NL umps wore body armor under their shirts) etc.

20+ years ago the NL said “**** it we are also going to count tickets sold” in order to level the playing field and make “attendance” numbers uniform.

Last edited by Dugmet; 04-11-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    The National League used to count heads, not tickets sold. A long time ago the AL started counting tickets to pump up their attendance numbers to appear competitive with the Senior Circuit since the League’s numbers were lagging especially since the NL was perceived as the “modern” league with newer stadiums, AstroTurf, teams in bigger cities overall, umpire uniforms (AL home plate umps used giant pads to protect their chests while NL umps wore body armor under their shirts) etc.

20+ years ago the NL said “**** it we are also going to count tickets sold” in order to level the playing field and make “attendance” numbers uniform.

Yes I'm fully aware of that. I just don't understand the reason for the deception. Anyway you cut it, it's weird and dishonest. It's not so difficult to announce tickets sold and attendance separately. I'm sure they keep track in-house.

"How many tickets did we sell today?"

"We sold 10,500 tickets"

"How many showed up to the game?"

"Only 974 showed up"

"Tell them everybody was in attendance"

Haha... it's just so bizarre

I was watching the game thinking that there are barely any fans at the game. Not really shocking when you factor in the weather, teams, and the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88 View Post
    apparently the time was changed from 7PM to 1PM start, but those pictures dont even look like 100 people, much less 1000
    hope the ushers just let anybody sit where they want at that point

Those things play factors. In April and October, I'm glad we play indoors. Always comfortable. Of course Bleacher Report didn't mention the changed start time.

Ok so I'm going to go a bit off topic here and rant about MLB. The fact they are still blacking out so many baseball games is ****ing atrocious. I live in IA and at least 2 of the Cubs games that I wanted to watch on ESPN and MLB Network were blacked out. Then I wanted to watch to neutral teams...I think it was a Cards games on ESPN one night but nope it was blacked out. I am a casual fan of sports in general and I watch so many NFL & NBA games outside of my favorites and I can't do that with baseball.

And a so-so stadium at best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast