Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    27,100
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Ok so I'm going to go a bit off topic here and rant about MLB. The fact they are still blacking out so many baseball games is ****ing atrocious. I live in IA and at least 2 of the Cubs games that I wanted to watch on ESPN and MLB Network were blacked out. Then I wanted to watch to neutral teams...I think it was a Cards games on ESPN one night but nope it was blacked out. I am a casual fan of sports in general and I watch so many NFL & NBA games outside of my favorites and I can't do that with baseball.
    MLB has been working in this the past few seasons, but the biggest obstacle is the local broadcasting rights and specifically, advertising revenue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,325
    Wrigley had 30,000+ on a thirty something degree Wednesday night yesterday against the torn down and rebuilding Pirates.

    Sox gonna Sox.


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    30,214
    Claymation posted this in one of our Met IGT threads that the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (Marlin's AA team) outdrew the Marlins last night.

    That's funny and sad all at the same time.

    But Jeter wanted to raise ticket prices this year

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    30,214
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Wrigley had 30,000+ on a thirty something degree Wednesday night yesterday against the torn down and rebuilding Pirates.

    Sox gonna Sox.
    Not really fair to say that when the Pirates are 9-3 at the moment. Wrigley always draws regardless of whether the Cubs or their competition is any good. Its the novelty of the ballpark, neighborhood surrounding it, etc.

    The White Sox don't have that.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,325
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Not really fair to say that when the Pirates are 9-3 at the moment.
    Uhhhh....sure it is?

    Is your contention here that any measurable portion of that 30,000+ crowd came out to Wrigley on a 30 degree weeknight because of the excitement the Pirates have generated with their 9-3 start?


  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,325
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Wrigley always draws regardless of whether the Cubs or their competition is any good. Its the novelty of the ballpark, neighborhood surrounding it, etc.

    The White Sox don't have that.
    As for this part, yeah man. Kinda my whole point.


  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    30,214
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Uhhhh....sure it is?

    Is your contention here that any measurable portion of that 30,000+ crowd came out to Wrigley on a 30 degree weeknight because of the excitement the Pirates have generated with their 9-3 start?
    No I just wouldn't categorize the Pirates as rebuilding. Yeah the pitching has been playing over its head but their offense is very good and they have talent.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,325
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    No I just wouldn't categorize the Pirates as rebuilding.
    Oh.

    Okay well you don't become an immediately improved team by trading away both your franchise player and staff ace in the same offseason, so you'd be wrong there - but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    30,214
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Oh.

    Okay well you don't become an immediately improved team by trading away both your franchise player and staff ace in the same offseason, so you'd be wrong there - but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
    Well their lineup seems pretty potent even without said franchise player. A franchise player who has regressed significantly since his MVP days. As for their staff "ace", he's pitched like one so far for the Astros but he was essentially a league average SP last year so yeah there are ways to improve without those 2 guys.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,291
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well their lineup seems pretty potent even without said franchise player. A franchise player who has regressed significantly since his MVP days. As for their staff "ace", he's pitched like one so far for the Astros but he was essentially a league average SP last year so yeah there are ways to improve without those 2 guys.
    I haven't followed them closely so far this year, but you also have Polanco and Marte who regressed last year and who should be doing big things for them this year if healthy.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,325
    Uh huh.

    Well when the Pirates win 82+ games this year I'll be happy to eat crow. Otherwise, very much rebuilding.


  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    30,096
    ^As a baseball fan, I want to go to a good game... Not one that probably would be a waste of my time. Sure the Pirates are probably playing over their projection but they were 9-3 at the time (11-4 now) and most fans buy tickets not too far in advanced. I want to see my team play a 9-3 team, even if they are "rebuilding". So fans will show up to this game because it should be competitive.

    Also to your point, Andrew McCutchen is their franchise player in name only. He hasn't been their best player for several years now. They actually wanted to clear his spot in the team so they could promote Austin Meadows eventually.

    And Gerrit Cole has been their best pitcher but not their cornerstone pitcher for a while now. They have been more excited about Taillon and Glasnow for a while now and hope/expect them to be the aces of the staff moving forward anyways because Cole had regressed.

    So they are a good team and are not rebuilding. They still have Marte, Bell, Harrison, Polanco, etc. on their offense who they are expecting big things from and Glasnow, Taillon, Williams, etc that they were expecting to improve this year in the staff
    Last edited by kyubi256; 04-16-2018 at 02:19 PM.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,325
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    ^As a baseball fan, I want to go to a good game... Not one that probably would be a waste of my time. Sure the Pirates are probably playing over their projection but they were 9-3 at the time (11-4 now) and most fans buy tickets not too far in advanced. I want to see my team play a 9-3 team, even if they are "rebuilding". So fans will show up to this game because it should be competitive
    You sold me. 30,000 people came out to Wrigley last week for the 9-3 Pirates.


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    30,096
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    You sold me. 30,000 people came out to Wrigley last week for the 9-3 Pirates.
    You realize that you are talking about 30,000+ people came to the Cubs Opening Series at home right?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,325
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    You realize that you are talking about 30,000+ people came to the Cubs Opening Series at home right?
    There is a monumental difference between opening day and opening series. Speaking as someone who's been to 20+ Wrigley opening days and 10+ games that are the second or third of the opening series, there's typically about a 20,000 fan disparity between those two altogether different things.

    So yes I very much realize what I'm talking about. I'm less certain that you do.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •