Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    And let’s not forget to mention the Jaret Wright’s of the world back after 2003, That 2004 staff was royal garbage!
    Javier Vazquez x2 and Esteban Loiaza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think we matching any team intensity right now. Everybody is looking forward to facing us, whooping our ***** and we not even matching it. That's the only thing I see. Boone told them early on in March to embrace being THAT team and nothing seems to click. Always a different thing everyday. It is only April.

This is hardly the team we were expecting to see this yr and the biggest reason has been injuries. We've been without Drury, Bird, Hicks, Warren and CC for most of the start of this yr, plus Frazier and even though he sucks Ells. I don't think you can expect them to be the tea we thought they were going to be when we've been missing so many key players

Walker hasn't been good and as much as i hate to say this Wade has been worse. Luckily Torres is back to hitting well and should be up soon which should help.

Before this series the starters had been very good, non of them had given up more than 3 runs. Grey is the one that concerns me, he just doesn't look comfortable pitching for us. Maybe he can't handle the pressure of a big market team with very high expectations. I was hoping him not having to be an ace would take some pressure but i guess not. I said it all winter and i'll keep saying it, Cashman made a huge mistake letting Cole go to the Astro. Cole has been pretty awesome for the Stros so far. The crop of likely available starters around the trade deadline doesn't exactly look promising. Hammels looks like the best available and i'm not sure he would be a big upgrade..Having Cole right now would have been really nice

Even though some guys in the BP have struggled there is to much talent down there to think they won't figure it out. Plus German has looked like a stud and could be a huge addition for us in the pen.

Its still very early in the season and i have now doubt they will get it figured out, they just need to get healthy

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    This is hardly the team we were expecting to see this yr and the biggest reason has been injuries. We've been without Drury, Bird, Hicks, Warren and CC for most of the start of this yr, plus Frazier and even though he sucks Ells. I don't think you can expect them to be the tea we thought they were going to be when we've been missing so many key players

Walker hasn't been good and as much as i hate to say this Wade has been worse. Luckily Torres is back to hitting well and should be up soon which should help.

Before this series the starters had been very good, non of them had given up more than 3 runs. Grey is the one that concerns me, he just doesn't look comfortable pitching for us. Maybe he can't handle the pressure of a big market team with very high expectations. I was hoping him not having to be an ace would take some pressure but i guess not. I said it all winter and i'll keep saying it, Cashman made a huge mistake letting Cole go to the Astro. Cole has been pretty awesome for the Stros so far. The crop of likely available starters around the trade deadline doesn't exactly look promising. Hammels looks like the best available and i'm not sure he would be a big upgrade..Having Cole right now would have been really nice

Even though some guys in the BP have struggled there is to much talent down there to think they won't figure it out. Plus German has looked like a stud and could be a huge addition for us in the pen.

Its still very early in the season and i have now doubt they will get it figured out, they just need to get healthy

Most of the posters on here won't even talk how bad Sonny Gray has been with the Yankees. They continue to sugarcoat it or give him excuses.

Let's face it, Cashman struck out yet again when he trades for a much needed starter.

Pineda, Evoaldi and Gray in the past few seasons were exciting to get and all 3 are and were busts!

Again, Scherzer should have been signed.

When the big money pitcher is available and it cost $ then you gotta get him.

This guy will be good all 7 years!
    Nick

1998 Yankees 94-35. ---

2018 Red Sox 90-39 4

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Most of the posters on here won't even talk how bad Sonny Gray has been with the Yankees. They continue to sugarcoat it or give him excuses.

Let's face it, Cashman struck out yet again when he trades for a much needed starter.

Pineda, Evoaldi and Gray in the past few seasons were exciting to get and all 3 are and were busts!

Again, Scherzer should have been signed.

When the big money pitcher is available and it cost $ then you gotta get him.

This guy will be good all 7 years!
    I think most people here have stated that Gray has great potential but has not remotely realized it. He's been ok. Aside from last night, he hasn't been bad but he hasn't been good. He's been a number 5. The problem is he's been slotted as our 3.
    I don't expect too much from him.

The new Yankee star, Luke Voit

Cashman struck out again???? Dude time for your medicine
    #BringBackMatty

Sonny didn’t pitch great but jeez his D was less than stellar .... Bring up GT now , he’s crushing it at AAA
    #BringBackMatty

Quote Originally Posted by oak2455 View Post
    Sonny didn’t pitch great but jeez his D was less than stellar .... Bring up GT now , he’s crushing it at AAA
    sonny gray at best is a 6 inning 105 pitcher who will nibble walk 4 batters give up a few or a lot of runs... bringing back cc not because he wanted to.. but because they had no other options to stay under the tax threshold.. plus not getting cole. cashman failed the yanks on the pitching side...

drury a 3b baseman.. he won't be playing second or first...wade walker austin.. just terrible replacements... bring up torres...

Not everyone Nick. I have been critical of Gray from the outset. I posted the below during the Baltimore series. He has not performed well since coming over from left coast. He had some problems there as well, but nothing like he's experiencing here in NY.

"That's been the knock on Gray from the outset: great stuff, sharp break, but lacks control and tends to be a nibbler. His FB also lacks "late finish" and ain't fooling anyone which seems to be the larger issue.

Correct, Gray WAS previously known for generating ground balls and limiting home runs, however he has found that difficult since coming over to Yankee Stadium. In 11 starts and 65.1 innings with the Yankees, Gray has recorded a FIP of 4.87 and a HR/9 of 1.52 (not including this season), both well above his career averages. It's still a small sample size, but given the much more friendly confines of Yankee Stadium compared to the Oakland Coliseum, Gray's homer happiness probably can't be chalked up to mere bad luck.

While his sinker was once a near guaranteed GB in past years, it hasn't found the same success in the Bronx, as it allowed an ISO of .187 and a HR/FB rate of 30.6% in 2017. Likewise for his fourseamer, which generated a HR/FB rate of 13.6%. What were once Gray's most reliable weapons have become his most homer-prone pitches, which is never a good sign for a pitcher."

Last nights performance vindicated my earlier comments. He lacked control and command of the FB which got hit hard and his great breaking stuff wasn't near the plate. Again he didn't fool anyone. Three innings, 7H and 6 earned!
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post

We faced injuries last year as well. Didi was out the first month. Sanchez started out slow, got injured and was out for a while. He didn't play that great until the second half of the season. Bird was being bird last year, started out slow and ended up getting foot surgery. The point is that we dealt with a lot last year and over came it.

The biggest difference for me is the team intensity and the bullpen. Maybe we need a big moment as a team, maybe it'll come after our first winning streak. Last year's team was locked in from spring training. Girardi said even though the games didn't count, it build momentum going into the season. This year's team looks like they're not even in spring training mode yet. Also the bullpen is just off. We have big time arms, 5-6 guys that could be closers on other teams, but it's just not working so far.

^^ I wonder if the lack of intensity is due to Boone. Girardi was very intense, maybe too much so, but certainly managed to keep guys sharp, focused and amped. Is Boone too laid back? This team does seem to lack a sense urgency and intensity at key moments.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

It is early days and still lots to play for but I keep asking myself when isn’t it early days!!, redsox have been good no doubt and we have been terrible, I’m sure we will have a spell of being good and them being not so but we need a good run!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee73 View Post
    It is early days and still lots to play for but I keep asking myself when isn’t it early days!!, redsox have been good no doubt and we have been terrible, I’m sure we will have a spell of being good and them being not so but we need a good run!!
    many have said it but the 1st time I heard it was from LT

'' you are never as good as you look when you are winning
    and never as bad as you look when losing''

a young johnny bench led the league in passed balls and got better

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Not everyone Nick. I have been critical of Gray from the outset. I posted the below during the Baltimore series. He has not performed well since coming over from left coast. He had some problems there as well, but nothing like he's experiencing here in NY.

"That's been the knock on Gray from the outset: great stuff, sharp break, but lacks control and tends to be a nibbler. His FB also lacks "late finish" and ain't fooling anyone which seems to be the larger issue.

Correct, Gray WAS previously known for generating ground balls and limiting home runs, however he has found that difficult since coming over to Yankee Stadium. In 11 starts and 65.1 innings with the Yankees, Gray has recorded a FIP of 4.87 and a HR/9 of 1.52 (not including this season), both well above his career averages. It's still a small sample size, but given the much more friendly confines of Yankee Stadium compared to the Oakland Coliseum, Gray's homer happiness probably can't be chalked up to mere bad luck.

While his sinker was once a near guaranteed GB in past years, it hasn't found the same success in the Bronx, as it allowed an ISO of .187 and a HR/FB rate of 30.6% in 2017. Likewise for his fourseamer, which generated a HR/FB rate of 13.6%. What were once Gray's most reliable weapons have become his most homer-prone pitches, which is never a good sign for a pitcher."

Last nights performance vindicated my earlier comments. He lacked control and command of the FB which got hit hard and his great breaking stuff wasn't near the plate. Again he didn't fool anyone. Three innings, 7H and 6 earned!
    They way Boone talks about Gray reminds me of when Joe made comments about AJ Burnett.

Crazy potential but never lives up to it.
    Nick

1998 Yankees 94-35. ---

2018 Red Sox 90-39 4

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast