Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Rangers sign Ilya Kovalchuk

Alex Nunn
    Alex Nunn
    @aj_ranger
    Kovalchuk reported to be getting around $6m per-season w/ the #NYR on a 2/3-year deal. Not official until July 1st, of course.

SB Nation has this:

Rangers Rumored to Sign Ilya Kovalchuk to Multi-Year Deal
    By Tom Urtz Jr@TomUrtzJr Apr 9, 2018, 10:08am EDT

On February 7 we ran a story titled Ilya Kovalchuk Rumored To Have Eyes on New York If He Returns to NHL which outlined the history of interest involving both parties. According to Igor Eronko the team is set to sign the soon-to-be 35-year-old winger.

This is just one report but as noted in our update from February there is enough history to believe that this is something that’s going to happen. The news comes on the heels of SKA Saint Petersburg being eliminated from the KHL playoffs.

There are some important things to note here, the first being that any deal isn’t official until July 1. Teams sign college and international free agents all the time, but Kovalchuk has to wait to return to the league as a bonafide unrestricted free agent until July 1 per the terms of his retirement from the NHL.

From NHL.com

Prior to turning 35, if Kovalchuk wants to sign with another team, he would need approval from all 31 NHL teams. That’s unlikely to happen, but the Devils could sign Kovalchuk and either keep him or trade him.

Kovalchuk is free to speak to other NHL teams about a potential trade, according to Shero, who said a sign-and-trade has to make sense for the Devils. Kovalchuk cannot sign until July 1 and is not eligible for the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft.
    Theoretically the Devils hold his rights until this upcoming Sunday, and to expedite the process they could do a sign and trade with the Rangers but there’s little point to doing so.

The rumored salary Kovalchuk is set to earn is $6 million a season.
    he Rangers have been scouting Kovalchuk’s team for some time because it is the home of prospects Yegor Rykov and Igor Shesterkin, and it is fair to assume they are confident in his abilities as a player. The KHL is different than the NHL in a major way, but a shooter like Kovalchuk would find a way to score at least 20.

That of course raises the question of why are the Rangers reportedly signing Kovalchuk?

Kevin wrote a story on that in March, and much of what he said then applies today.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 04-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Double post

They can't sign him until July I thought. I don't even think they can have discussions with him yet

New York Rangers: Reports- Ilyia Kovalchuk signs with New York
    by Nicholas Zararis3 hours agoFollow @NickZararis
    TWEET
    x
    COMMENT

Kovalchuk has not played in the NHL since the lockout shortened 2012-2013 season. Following the 31 point campaign, the Russian returned to the KHL in his native country. Of course the way he left has been a major point of contention impeding any return. It’s been rumor for years that the forward has wanted to come back to the world’s best hockey league. However, the 15 year, $100 million contract with the New Jersey Devils that he walked away from was iron clad.

For the previous three off seasons, Kovalchuk needed the Devils’ approval to return to the NHL. The forward had no intention of returning to the bottom feeder Devils while they worked out a rebuild. Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported that New Jersey asked the Rangers for a first round pick last off season which made New York balk.

The bright lights of Madison Square Garden have called out to the Russian winger for years. Kovalchuck has frequently talked about his desire to return to the NHL in the context of his personal legacy as a hockey player. For the goal KHL’s leading scorer the last two seasons, he sees a Stanley Cup as the only piece missing from his resume after winning an Olympic Gold Medal in pyeongchang.

There is no way to know exactly what the Rangers are getting in Kovalchuk. Although a fine league, the KHL is marred with balancing issues that range from lack of parity all the way up to possible corruption. With the league’s pre-eminent powerhouse, SKA St. Petersburg, Kovalchuk is a big fish in a small pond. This year, he’s played on a line with former NHL standout Pavel Datsyuk and excelled to the tune of 63 points in 53 games.

What it all means

The Rangers are in a weird position as an organization for next season. Right now, the team’s defense is far too poor to seriously expect anything beyond just qualifying for postseason play. But, as a team with Henrik Lundqvist under contract for three more seasons, New York cannot just waste a season in rebuild.

There is an expectation that the Rangers will compete to some degree next season. The move for Kovalchuk is a shot in the arm to supplant young talent with a highly skilled player. In theory, the forward could slide into the top six and on the first power play unit from the jump.

NEXT: What went wrong this season: Window closing
    If the Rangers continue to supplement their young core with veteran talent, the team could play themselves ahead of schedule. This year, the NHL was wide open and several surprising teams got into the playoffs. If Kovalchuk’s return to the NHL is a resurgence, the Rangers may have landed a one of a kind player.

The article says it can’t be made official till July 1.

McKenzie is saying he can’t sign till April 15th.

McKenzie | Rangers open for business on trade front

“Now, on the Kovalchuk thing we need to explain a few things. I don’t doubt for a moment that Kovalchuk is going to end up with the Rangers. And I could probably guess that there’s probably been some conversations, but just for the matter of technicality – he’s not technically a free agent in the NHL until his 35th birthday, which is April 15th. At that point he’s free to negotiate a contract with any team that he wants, and we assume it’ll be the Rangers. But we don’t know that 100 percent. And he can’t technically sign it until July 1, which is neither here nor there. He could obviously agree to it on April 15.

“I don’t believe for a moment the Rangers will sign him to a three-year deal. I think they’d like to sign him to a one-year deal. I think Kovalchuk probably wants a three-year deal. My guess is it ends up being a two-year deal.

“So to your point – why does a rebuilding hockey team want a guy of his age in their lineup – because they figure they’re got holes in their lineup. And it’s New York, and they want to try to be as competitive as they can be.

“When they said we’re going younger and we’re going to do this, this didn’t say we’re tearing it down and we’re going to be absolute dog meat for three years and bottom out in the league. What they said was we’re going to add a whole bunch of kids and we’re going to move some of our guys off our roster to do it.

I like the move. I don't think he's gonna get 35 goals or anything but he will take some pressure off the kids and from what I hear about him he's a good leader as well, something we could use.

Wasn’t there a problem with him and Zubov during the play-offs 2yrs ago. Where Zubov actually benched him for 2 games during the finals. I thought I heard Zubov had to be pulled off of him.

He would give us a 3rd righthanded shooter.

Who would you put between Buchnevich & Kovalchuk?

$6m a year? Can he still really
    Command that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    McKenzie is saying he can’t sign till April 15th.

McKenzie | Rangers open for business on trade front

“Now, on the Kovalchuk thing we need to explain a few things. I don’t doubt for a moment that Kovalchuk is going to end up with the Rangers. And I could probably guess that there’s probably been some conversations, but just for the matter of technicality – he’s not technically a free agent in the NHL until his 35th birthday, which is April 15th. At that point he’s free to negotiate a contract with any team that he wants, and we assume it’ll be the Rangers. But we don’t know that 100 percent. And he can’t technically sign it until July 1, which is neither here nor there. He could obviously agree to it on April 15.

“I don’t believe for a moment the Rangers will sign him to a three-year deal. I think they’d like to sign him to a one-year deal. I think Kovalchuk probably wants a three-year deal. My guess is it ends up being a two-year deal.

“So to your point – why does a rebuilding hockey team want a guy of his age in their lineup – because they figure they’re got holes in their lineup. And it’s New York, and they want to try to be as competitive as they can be.

“When they said we’re going younger and we’re going to do this, this didn’t say we’re tearing it down and we’re going to be absolute dog meat for three years and bottom out in the league. What they said was we’re going to add a whole bunch of kids and we’re going to move some of our guys off our roster to do it.
    He’s not a free agent until April 15th (his 35th birthday), and his rights are still owned by the Devils. So technically any agreement would be considered tampering. After April 15 he can talk to other teams and agree to sign on July 1 when free agency opens. I’m not sure if these reports are based on discussions that have happened behind closed doors or they’re connecting dots and speculating, but for the next few days the Rangers aren’t legally allowed to speak with Kovalchuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    Wasn’t there a problem with him and Zubov during the play-offs 2yrs ago. Where Zubov actually benched him for 2 games during the finals. I thought I heard Zubov had to be pulled off of him.

He would give us a 3rd righthanded shooter.

Who would you put between Buchnevich & Kovalchuk?
    I think Tavares would look pretty great between the two, but I think more realistically Chytil ends up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk